E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Simon0311

My Ride: 330ci
E46 Coupe boot won't open and the key lock is bust - help

Hi all,

My boot lid has just stopped working this morning. Neither the button under the tailgate or on the key fob work.
The key lock has been broken for a number of years so this won't help either.

Luckily the back seats hadn't closed properly last time I folded them down, so was able to get my laptop out for work this morning.

I have searched the forums and have had no joy with finding an answer to this issue.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Simon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
mjose

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
don't you have a trunk/boot release button by the front drivers door?
mjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
There is a wiring harness that passes into the trunk lid at one of the hinges. That may be damaged. It happens.

I have a button by my left shin in my car. You are in England so maybe it's by your right shin?

Edit: I just realized that you can't really inspect that without opening the trunk.

All modern cars have some sort of internal trunk release so you can't lock someone in there. I'm pretty sure we have one. Crawl through your fold down seat and look for it. The handle glows in the dark (if it's "charged")

Last edited by WDE46; 01-31-2013 at 03:28 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Simon0311

No, only ones are on the key fob and where the number plate lights are.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
NE1L

My Ride: 320Cd M-Sport
Sounds to me like you are going to have to enter the boot from the fold down seats. Then take the boot lid carpet off to gain access to the locking mechanism. I believe the US cars have a glow-in-the-dark manual pull cable, but this is not fitted to UK vehicles, so no point looking for it. The boot lid carpet is remove by pulling out the grey plastic studs that hold it on, and also the tool box. The studs are in two pieces, the middle section pulls out first and this allows the clip part to be pulled through the hole in the metal work. The tool box is held on with a posi-drive screw (1 at each hinge), the slip the strap out of the boot lid metal work.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...59&hg=51&fg=65
NE1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
But, since those tabs holding the boot lid liner might not penetrate into the truck far enough where you can get to them, you might need to either cut them off with dykes/snipers...or just cut carefully where there should be some rod that you pull left or right to release trunk lid. There are photos around here someplace.

If you search for 'locked out of trunk' threads (search titles for 'trunk' and 'locked') I think you might find one. Or, add 'license plate drill' because that's another way guys break in...drilling a hole behind the license plate to get to this rod.

I'll see if I can find realoem.com diagram for you.

Oh, and get working key lock for back there and you've undoubtedly got a broken wire in the elephant trunk. See my thread with that in title...pretty sure I explain how to get into it easily and repair it. You won't see a broken wire probably...it'll be broken inside the insulation.

brb

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 01-31-2013 at 05:29 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Simon0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE1L View Post
Sounds to me like you are going to have to enter the boot from the fold down seats. Then take the boot lid carpet off to gain access to the locking mechanism. I believe the US cars have a glow-in-the-dark manual pull cable, but this is not fitted to UK vehicles, so no point looking for it. The boot lid carpet is remove by pulling out the grey plastic studs that hold it on, and also the tool box. The studs are in two pieces, the middle section pulls out first and this allows the clip part to be pulled through the hole in the metal work. The tool box is held on with a posi-drive screw (1 at each hinge), the slip the strap out of the boot lid metal work.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...59&hg=51&fg=65
You are a legend. Thank you so much.

Managed to prise out the studs - they are just about reachable. Pulled on the cable and the boot opened. Apart from the lock everything seems to be working fine now. Not sure what caused it.

I will look for your threads on how to fix the lock now. Thanks again.

Tags
boot, lock