E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
rurena

My Ride: United States
ipad mini in e46

I want to float this by you guys see if anyone is interested in doing it. I've found most of the parts but some modifications will be necessary. so here is the idea:

ipad mini + oxygen head unit + double din bezel + some work = bad ass ipod mini installation.

The thing I like about the oxygen head unit, http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=22573, is that it lets the ipod/iphone or in this case ipad run an app to control the unit. This will take a lot of work. but here are the steps i think would get this done:

1. find out if the head unit will accept an ipad instead of an iphone. the app is compatible with the ipad. Might be as simple as seeing if the ipad mini can download the app.
2. modify the bezel so that it will accept the iPad. I think a pop up docking solution would be nice. like this:
3. modify the 30-pin to lightning with this: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin...ref=pd_sim_e_2
4. take apart the head unit and figure out a way to move the volume nob. then it would be a matter of connecting the oxygen radio to the harness and placing it deep enough that the ipad can sit in front of it.

total cost = labor and inventiveness + 329 (ipad mini @ walmart) + 39 (cable) + 278 (radio) + ~100 (bezel) = $746 which is not a bad deal. just don't know if I'll buy all these things and leave the project half done. so i decided to share and maybe someone would get all the parts together and get 'er done!
rurena is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurena View Post
total cost = labor and inventiveness + 329 (ipad mini @ walmart) + 39 (cable) + 278 (radio) + ~100 (bezel) = $746 which is not a bad deal.
Just want to throw this option out there, you can get an Android Dynavin unit for $60 more and have the same functionality, plus more. And it integrates with your car much, much better. In fact, it will completely integrate with your car.

Last edited by Zell; 01-31-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Nightmare5336

My Ride: e46 with a slushy
^ Dynavin isn't an IPad though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336 View Post
DUMB YOUR MOM.
Nightmare5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
rurena

My Ride: United States
this would be a nice install. it would loose the rear view camera that the dynavin has. Might be better at other stuff that the dynavin at least mine fails on. when the phone rings only the number shows up. bluetooth audio doesn't play while in maps. ipod controls suck. and perhaps a few other things but it would be pretty bad ass.
rurena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
GATORSHOES2

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I like the OEM look of the dynavin and dynavin clones. I hate things that stand out like aftermarket head units.
But I have seen this done on other cars. Not sure about fitment on an E46 dash. Nothing I would do, but I'm not completely against it.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare5336 View Post
^ Dynavin isn't an IPad though.
Thank God for that... iPad's are worthless. Android Tablets are WAY more productive.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
Thank God for that... iPad's are worthless. Android Tablets are WAY more productive.

This thread is not going to go anywhere.

OP, don't do it.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
I was considering this but for $300 less I got the eonon Dynavin clone not installed though.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Maybe but if any Android device has Wi Fi or cell phone connectivity, they ARE NOT secure. Best way to permanently delete anything on it is with a big hammer.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
Maybe but if any Android device has Wi Fi or cell phone connectivity, they ARE NOT secure. Best way to permanently delete anything on it is with a big hammer.
And this matters in your car? You going to save bank numbers and passwords on your dashboard? I never save anything of any relevance on my phone anyway, why risk it with any device?

I like some of Apple's products, but iPods and iPads are grossly overpriced and underwhelming.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Quote:
And this matters in your car? You going to save bank numbers and passwords on your dashboard? I never save anything of any relevance on my phone anyway, why risk it with any device?

I like some of Apple's products, but iPods and iPads are grossly overpriced and underwhelming.
Agree, the iPhone 5 is brilliant. Tablets are useless
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Totally agree! But I know too many folks (much younger than I) who do everything on their phones/devices. It's amazing how ignorant they are.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
E86 FTW

My Ride: '07 Z4MC, '05 ZHP
Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:

maybe by todays standards, but you have to understand that without the ipod nothing android would exist.
at all
Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
maybe by todays standards, but you have to understand that without the ipod nothing android would exist.
at all
Not to start a argument, but Android would have started with or without Apples technologies. The key aspect in android is the open source programming and ability to customize nearly any aspect you see fit, essentially you aren't bound by what Tim Cook says. The first touch screen phone wasn't an Iphone, it was an IBM Simon in '92 if you were wondering.

I would strongly say get a Dynavin, an Ipad in a BMW cabin would look worse then the $60 Stereo's you can get at bestbuy for your car. Go Dynavin!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
GATORSHOES2

I feel like you guys don't know who makes the technology behind these logos like apple... >.>
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #17
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
Not to start a argument, but Android would have started with or without Apples technologies. The key aspect in android is the open source programming and ability to customize nearly any aspect you see fit, essentially you aren't bound by what Tim Cook says. The first touch screen phone wasn't an Iphone, it was an IBM Simon in '92 if you were wondering.

I would strongly say get a Dynavin, an Ipad in a BMW cabin would look worse then the $60 Stereo's you can get at bestbuy for your car. Go Dynavin!
i didn't mention the iphone. the iphone is a big deal but it doesn't touch the ipod.
the original ipod started it all. i mean all. before that people didn't have a personal media device. there was nothing like it. other mp3 players just didn't take off.
yeah the tech was already there. touchscreen were all over, mostly in POS systems. but it wasn't usable or desired.
apple and the ipod streamlined what was already there and made it useable.

i didn't mention touch screens either.
an android phone is nothing more than the "idea" of the iphone with a different OS. and the idea of the iphone is nothing more than an ipod with a phone in it.

the ipod made it personal. the ipod started it all. like apple or not, you have to accept that.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORSHOES2 View Post
I feel like you guys don't know who makes the technology behind these logos like apple... >.>
who cares? the people themselves don't set the technology trends and direction. the products do.
that's like saying "you don't know the name of the guy who designs bmw seat backs."
who cares. it's not about the individuals. it's about the product completed.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
who cares? the people themselves don't set the technology trends and direction. the products do.
that's like saying "you don't know the name of the guy who designs bmw seat backs."
who cares. it's not about the individuals. it's about the product completed.
Most apple fanboys are clueless, and also assume apple is automatically better because its price.
I've owned nothing but iphones.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORSHOES2 View Post
Most apple fanboys are clueless, and also assume apple is automatically better because its price.
I've owned nothing but iphones.
better is a very subjective word. it's just an opinion. i like apple. but i understand and respect the need for other platforms. most people don't and just like to argue their crap is better but

bottom line is apple did something great with the ipod and everyone since then has benefited from it. anyone who builds a electronic mobil device was/is somehow impacted by the original ipod.

kinda like how the beatles and elvis set the bar for rock and roll.

Tags
diy, ipad mini, radio