E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #21
GATORSHOES2

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
better is a very subjective word. it's just an opinion. i like apple. but i understand and respect the need for other platforms. most people don't and just like to argue their crap is better but

bottom line is apple did something great with the ipod and everyone since then has benefited from it. anyone who builds a electronic mobil device was/is somehow impacted by the original ipod.

kinda like how the beatles and elvis set the bar for rock and roll.
Apple products are way over priced though. I know I paid way too much for my "new" but outdated imac and macbook. But they look very nice.

If I did any system requiring things like developing or programming, I would go wit ha windows based computer. Apple has always been far behind IMO.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #22
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
i didn't mention the iphone. the iphone is a big deal but it doesn't touch the ipod.
the original ipod started it all. i mean all. before that people didn't have a personal media device. there was nothing like it. other mp3 players just didn't take off.
yeah the tech was already there. touchscreen were all over, mostly in POS systems. but it wasn't usable or desired.
apple and the ipod streamlined what was already there and made it useable.

i didn't mention touch screens either.
an android phone is nothing more than the "idea" of the iphone with a different OS. and the idea of the iphone is nothing more than an ipod with a phone in it.

the ipod made it personal. the ipod started it all. like apple or not, you have to accept that.
Under this logic you should be driving a Ford since without them nobody would be driving a car right now unless they were stinking rich. Yea, they started a trend, the problem is that they're well aware of it and they use that to gouge their prices. Thankfully people are starting to wake up and realize how limiting Apple is, they've gotten lazy.

I'm typing this up on a macbook, but if I were to buy a new computer today, it wouldn't be apple. They've fallen way behind in most regards, especially their phones... I don't understand why anyone would buy an iPhone when there are so many much more capable and customizable Android devices out there and for LESS.

I thankfully talked my GF out of an iPad by taking her to bestbuy and making her try out all the tablets including the iPad. Once I showed her how much more you could do with the Android devices she wanted nothing to do with the iPads, so I bought her an Asus TF700 for Christmas and it's fantastic
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #23
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
Under this logic you should be driving a Ford since without them nobody would be driving a car right now unless they were stinking rich. Yea, they started a trend, the problem is that they're well aware of it and they use that to gouge their prices. Thankfully people are starting to wake up and realize how limiting Apple is, they've gotten lazy.

I'm typing this up on a macbook, but if I were to buy a new computer today, it wouldn't be apple. They've fallen way behind in most regards, especially their phones... I don't understand why anyone would buy an iPhone when there are so many much more capable and customizable Android devices out there and for LESS.

I thankfully talked my GF out of an iPad by taking her to bestbuy and making her try out all the tablets including the iPad. Once I showed her how much more you could do with the Android devices she wanted nothing to do with the iPads, so I bought her an Asus TF700 for Christmas and it's fantastic

i didn't suggest everyone should buy apple. i didn't even say it was better or worse than any specific competing company. i was just stating that they opened the door for everyone who develops personal technology today, and that's really undeniable.

and as for starting the trend and gouging current prices because they started it, you could say the same thing about bmw.
bmw started their brand based on two things: performance and luxury.
because they did those things so well they now have crazy priced cars that are bleh. hell their "performance" cars are weighing around 4000 pounds these days.

but anyway, my only point was that the ipod started it all.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 02-01-2013 at 01:48 AM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #24
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
Not to start a argument, but Android would have started with or without Apples technologies. The key aspect in android is the open source programming and ability to customize nearly any aspect you see fit, essentially you aren't bound by what Tim Cook says. The first touch screen phone wasn't an Iphone, it was an IBM Simon in '92 if you were wondering.
The Android's greatest strength is it's open sourcing. That's also it's greatest weakness. It's so easy to hack wirelessly or otherwise. When you upgrade and want to trade it in, following the manufacturers instructions to wipe the device clean has been proven to not work; information can still be pulled/found on the device. Hence my comment about taking a hammer to it to fully secure it.

Apple anything is proprietary and therefore much more secure.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #25
EverydayGetaway

Quote:
i didn't suggest everyone should buy apple. i didn't even say it was better or worse than any specific competing company. i was just stating that they opened the door for everyone who develops personal technology today, and that's really undeniable.
I wouldn't go that far, before the iPod everyone had a walkman, the iPod was just the natural next step. Just because they came up with a design that caught on first doesn't mean technology wouldn't be where it is today without them, that's a really bold statement.

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 02-01-2013 at 01:47 AM.
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #26
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
The Android's greatest strength is it's open sourcing. That's also it's greatest weakness. It's so easy to hack wirelessly or otherwise. When you upgrade and want to trade it in, following the manufacturers instructions to wipe the device clean has been proven to not work; information can still be pulled/found on the device. Hence my comment about taking a hammer to it to fully secure it.

Apple anything is proprietary and therefore much more secure.
That's not quite true. That's like saying apples also can't get viruses.
Data can usually be restored, no matter the device.
Unless of course, they do your hammer trick.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #27
peytonracer4

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, before the iPod everyone had a walkman, the iPod was just the natural next step. Just because they came up with a design that caught on first doesn't mean technology wouldn't be where it is today without them, that's a really bold statement.
yes i agree. and before the ipod, there were numerous mp3 players. my dad had one. it was kinda cool.
BUT nothing was as universal as the ipod. nothing streamlined the technology as well as apple did with the ipod.
the combination of itunes and the ipod really set the mp3 world off.
like i said in a previous post, the technology was already there. apple simply made it useable and made it desirable.

i don't believe the technology would be where it is today without the ipod. sure they simply created the design that caught on first. but they did that, and that's a tall order. the only thing that had been able to create a successful OS before that was windows and that was not mobile.

the ipod set the standard for all mobile OS to come.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 02-01-2013 at 01:53 AM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #28
EverydayGetaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORSHOES2 View Post
^That's part of why I never sell stuff like that. I did sell my original iPhone, but as I said, I never keep vital info on any device. I usually keep my old devices as mp3 players or backups to whatever I currently have... I also only upgrade phones once every 3 years sometimes... finally just upgraded to a Droid DNA, don't think I'll be going to another device for quite a while

And Payton, I realize that, and to an extent you're right. But like I said, if they hadn't done it, someone else would have, it was a technology race that they just happened to win.

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 02-01-2013 at 01:55 AM.
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #29
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
In a literal sense, you are correct. But in the real world, it's the Android smart phones that are being hacked or have been found to be very easy to hack. You don't hear of Apple devices being easily hacked. Also, it's estimated that many of the Android smart phones out there are already infected with at least one or more viruses due to it's open sourcing vs virtually zero for Apple.

Personally, I would love to have all the capability of a top Android phone. It's for reasons of security that I chose an iPhone5 when I upgraded from a Blackberry.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #30
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
In a literal sense, you are correct. But in the real world, it's the Android smart phones that are being hacked or have been found to be very easy to hack. You don't hear of Apple devices being easily hacked. Also, it's estimated that many of the Android smart phones out there are already infected with at least one or more viruses due to it's open sourcing vs virtually zero for Apple.

Personally, I would love to have all the capability of a top Android phone. It's for reasons of security that I chose an iPhone5 when I upgraded from a Blackberry.
There's also more developers on the android/windows platforms. That's why mac viruses and iPhone hacks are less popular.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #31
Nightmare5336

My Ride: e46 with a slushy
Quote:
Thank God for that... iPad's are worthless. Android Tablets are WAY more productive.
Nice bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336 View Post
DUMB YOUR MOM.
Nightmare5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #32
peytonracer4

Quote:
There's also more developers on the android/windows platforms. That's why mac viruses and iPhone hacks are less popular.
this used to be the case, but it's not really true anymore.
apple is just not as accepting to "little guy" developers.
ie: dude in his basement who develops a whoopee cushion app
Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #33
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
this used to be the case, but it's not really true anymore.
apple is just not as accepting to "little guy" developers.
ie: dude in his basement who develops a whoopee cushion app
I'm not referring to people who submit their goofy apps to apple and get denied.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #34
peytonracer4

Quote:
I'm not referring to people who submit their goofy apps to apple and get denied.
then apple and android have about the same amount of developers. this started only recently (past 5 or so years)
used to be, windows had a million times the amount of developers apple had. now it's about even. apple has become a pretty open source since they became intel based.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #35
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Wow this thread got off topic fast!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #36
EverydayGetaway

It's E46F, this is to be expected... lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #37
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Wow this thread got off topic fast!
Like most apple/windows/android debates. Everyone is mis/uninformed

In response to OP:

iPods, iPhones, and iPads will see it as an accessory, as the ipod app, is the same.

You would need to relocate the HVAC down to the sunglass holder. Then custom build a double din case/mount for the ipad to fit in, while disguising the wire.
Use the lightning to 30pin wire adaptor, not the small plug, it will work better.
I would use something like the dice unit so you can control the audio from the steering wheel. relocating folume knob will be a PITA.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #38
rurena

My Ride: United States
I would like to address the off topic things: Android is good and if it where the only mobile OS it would be the best, what i like about it is that it is way better than anything that existed before it, excluding iOS. Now iOS is good but it's not advancing as fast as android. Android has 2 releases in the time iOS release one. it was not as good at first but now it is a potent OS. I say in a year it will be hands down the better OS. but then this BB10 came out. It looks like android but with all the rough edges taken away. It seems like it could take all those Droid fans and turn them back to BB fans. now with that said a few will also use the Windows mobile. iOS devices are expensive yet they still sell. I don't care how chick you are if you are not good people won't pay. but like I said give it a year and let's see what happens. The past is gone the present is occurring but the future is unknown.

Now back to point -> I agree that this is not a cake walk but there is a droid diy. http://www.bmdroid.co.nz/, as an example. This would be better since the Radio would still work., in the droid arrangement the radio functionality went away. This unit would allow the ipad to control the radio. I am aware that some gives will occur. I won't have the steering wheel controls :-(. I won't have my rear view camera :-(. I never use the cd/dvd so that's not a loss. but lots of gains: There will be less buttons! better interactivity. the potential to add wifi devices for media storage. plus this setup should be significantly better than the setup those custom guys did here in Tampa. They had to install some sort of control unit that sticks out by the shifter. Do I think it's better than the dynavin? probably not 100% but it might be significantly better in some things and bad in others. might be an even trade in the end but I think it's a good project for someone that would like a double din touchscreen entertainment system.

Basically i did the legwork now we need a procedure to make it happen.
rurena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Just want to throw this option out there, you can get an Android Dynavin unit for $60 more and have the same functionality, plus more. And it integrates with your car much, much better. In fact, it will completely integrate with your car.
I was unaware that you could take your dynavin with you wherever you go?
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #40
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
You guys are ridiculous
Trying to compare a Dynavin head unit in your car, (that mind you, NONE of you even know the specs of becuase they are nowhere to be found) to having the capability of just popping out an iPad and taking it on the go.
Then you get into an argument about apple vs. (insert other company)
This thread actually had some real merit, as i believe the Dynavins are garbage. The only cool thing about them is plug and play capability. But that only gets you a semi decent radio with almost the exact same specs as the factory OEM nav. For around a thousand dollars, I would MUCH rather be able to take my tablet out of the car and into work with me after my drive. Try doing that with your Dynavin...
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, ipad mini, radio