E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #101
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,047
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
hmmm, i think you're wrong. they happen. not all guns sold at shows are sold by licensed dealers. i'm wrong tho.
No, I'm not wrong. There is no loophole. Private transactions are perfectly legal.
__________________
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #102
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Every 3-5 years they do.
Why not everytime? Seems like an FBI employee could have killed someone that night. Thats the logic. They just want to fleece the legal gun owner for $15 a pop for the checks.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #103
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,288
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
No, I'm not wrong. There is no loophole. Private transactions are perfectly legal.
This. Straw purchases are already felonies, as is an FFL selling without background check or paperwork.

What extra law is going to prevent these things?
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #104
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,047
My Ride: My wife
I should add that I understand your premise of wanting a universal background check for all sales. However, it should be stated as such. Saying that there is a gunshow loophole is just wrong, as no loophole exists. A loophole is used to circumvent or avoid the intent of a law. As there is no current law governing the private sale of firearms, there is no loophole to use.
__________________
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #105
wrighterjw10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmyra (Hershey), PA
Posts: 459
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I should add that I understand your premise of wanting a universal background check for all sales. However, it should be stated as such. Saying that there is a gunshow loophole is just wrong, as no loophole exists. A loophole is used to circumvent or avoid the intent of a law. As there is no current law governing the private sale of firearms, there is no loophole to use.
i got ya, i understand what ur saying.

anywho, i support checks on all sales, both through licensed and private. and by support, i mean i wont be pissed it if happens. i wont go out of my way to support it, cuz question how much it would help.
__________________
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #106
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,756
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I'd support it I suppose if it were truly instant, kept no records or database, and was 100% free. If they mandate something and charge for it, it becomes a tax. And I don't support more taxation.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #107
Sentaruu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 848
My Ride: Xterra
the consumer will always pay for it. i do not support it, but i cannot say that i am against it. so long as the only background checks are criminal background checks. i dont think that just because you see a shrink or are on certain medication that you should be treated the same as a criminal.
__________________
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #108
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member
 
HiHoBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,113
My Ride: 05 M3
To help beat the dead horse,I am required to present my Carry Permit when purchasing a firearm for an instant purchase (no waiting period).Yet they still do the background check. If I commit a crime that would prevent me from possessing or purchasing a firearm,my permit would be revoked. So a "card like that" already exists,but these redundant checks are still done anyway.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
__________________
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #109
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,756
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
To help beat the dead horse,I am required to present my Carry Permit when purchasing a firearm for an instant purchase (no waiting period).Yet they still do the background check. If I commit a crime that would prevent me from possessing or purchasing a firearm,my permit would be revoked. So a "card like that" already exists,but these redundant checks are still done anyway.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Actually, at least in FL, if you commit a crime that results in the revocation of your permit, they dont come out and take the card from you. The permits are actually still in the hands of hundreds (I suspect) of people who have had them revoked.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #110
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Actually, at least in FL, if you commit a crime that results in the revocation of your permit, they dont come out and take the card from you. The permits are actually still in the hands of hundreds (I suspect) of people who have had them revoked.
Right, but like a driver's license, if/when an officer "runs" the permit, it will tell them that it has been revoked right? So the guy will be in violation for carrying a firearm without a permit...at least that's how I undertand it.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #111
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,756
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Right, but like a driver's license, if/when an officer "runs" the permit, it will tell them that it has been revoked right? So the guy will be in violation for carrying a firearm without a permit...at least that's how I undertand it.
That's correct, they do run it I think. But I think HiHoBrian ws getting at the fact that a background check is redundant for those who have permits, because they've already passed one and that presenting the permit should bypass a new check. It's not that simple
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #112
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
That's correct, they do run it I think. But I think HiHoBrian ws getting at the fact that a background check is redundant for those who have permits, because they've already passed one and that presenting the permit should bypass a new check. It's not that simple
Thats what I was saying. Make the permits "scannable." When you go buy your firearm, they simple swipe, and wait for the "CLEAR" to pop up. Simple as that. No need to fleece the guy for $15 a pop.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #113
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member
 
HiHoBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,113
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Thats what I was saying. Make the permits "scannable." When you go buy your firearm, they simple swipe, and wait for the "CLEAR" to pop up. Simple as that. No need to fleece the guy for $15 a pop.
That makes so much sence and sounds incredibly easy to put into action.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
__________________
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #114
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
That makes so much sence and sounds incredibly easy to put into action.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Exactly the way credit cards function. When swiped, they can transmit approved, declined, stolen, lost, etc.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use