E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Squats and deallifts misc questions

1- Squatting and deadlifting barefoot feels much more natural. What do you think? After I tried it once last year, I never squat or DL with sneakers.

2- What to do as my DL weights get heavy? I still can do more reps but my wrists and forearms are getting tired. I read using straps is not good long term and for overall natural muscle development. I do use the inverse grip (palms facing each other)

Last edited by z00; 02-01-2013 at 06:42 PM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
1. I agree, I am the usually the only guy in the gym doing squats/deadlifts in the gym without shoes. I really only do it because I slip around in my shoes.

2. I am dealing with the same issues. Anything above 400 and my grip starts to go haywire.

Last edited by B_Cyrus; 02-01-2013 at 08:38 PM.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
z00

1- Good to know. I get some funny looks from people but who cares.

2- My grip gets weak around 285, I weigh 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
1. I agree, I am the usually the only guy in the gym doing squats/deadlifts in the gym. I really only do it because I slip around in my shoes.

2. I am dealing with the same issues. Anything above 400 and my grip starts to go haywire.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I squatted barefoot before I started using my very flat Lacoste shoes.

Try an alternating grip (dominant palm facing, other out)

I'm not at the point where I need straps/chalk and I have similar numbers
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I used to squat barefoot but now since my floor is ice cold I do it in my minimalist new balances.

As for the grip. Try over under or chalk.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
sadpanda03

My Ride: 2003 330i
Barefoot is probably the best you can do. Or use chucks if you want shoes. The more flat your feet are the better. It forces you to use your musles in your legs.

I use Nike frees because I am flat footed and they provide good arch support, forcing a proper footing.

Its pretty sad how few people do squats and deadlifts, they are among the most important lifts to gain size and overall body strength.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Bimmer App
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
sadpanda03

Do you use wraps? I'd recommend them if your grip starts to slack on the higher weights. Or you can try tucking your thumb under your fingers instead of on top. It is sort of awkward at first but you get used to it.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Always plan to get some new flat workout shoes, but always end up buying shoes that I'd wear out instead.

Anyhow, I use a running type of shoe and really no problems. I've taken some videos when I DL and can't visibly see any compression and notice that I'm more on my toes (not sure if that's bad form). One thing about flat shoes or bareboot, is that when you compare to actual weightlifting shoes, the dedicatied weightlifting shoes typically have a heel and are not flat.

Had some big grip issues before switching to over/under. Now my grip isn't the issue....just the weight doesn't get off the ground sometimes.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
z00

That's the grip I use and I inverse the grip on every set to keep grip balance

Since you have similar numbers, when I get to 4th-5th rep my wrists and arms just pretty much lose all strength. The rest of my body still has strength in it to do a couple more reps. Don't you have this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I squatted barefoot before I started using my very flat Lacoste shoes.

Try an alternating grip (dominant palm facing, other out)

I'm not at the point where I need straps/chalk and I have similar numbers
I don't use wraps. I read for safety reasons and over all grip strength it's good to have a natural grip (thumps on top).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadpanda03 View Post
Do you use wraps? I'd recommend them if your grip starts to slack on the higher weights. Or you can try tucking your thumb under your fingers instead of on top. It is sort of awkward at first but you get used to it.

I tried with my Taek Won Do shoes (very flat) and I still find barefoot most natural and best feeling while squatting and deadlifting. I can get the bar off the ground fine, it's just in the last few reps where my grip and arms give up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
Always plan to get some new flat workout shoes, but always end up buying shoes that I'd wear out instead.

Anyhow, I use a running type of shoe and really no problems. I've taken some videos when I DL and can't visibly see any compression and notice that I'm more on my toes (not sure if that's bad form). One thing about flat shoes or bareboot, is that when you compare to actual weightlifting shoes, the dedicatied weightlifting shoes typically have a heel and are not flat.

Had some big grip issues before switching to over/under. Now my grip isn't the issue....just the weight doesn't get off the ground sometimes.

Last edited by z00; 02-01-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
dabears

nope no grip issues, my PR is 315 x 1 and it was my legs that failed me on the second rep attempt getting off the ground.

deadlifting, chinups/pullups will greatly improve your grip strength over time
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
z00

How long do you keep the bar on the ground? For max weights I see some guys bouncing the weights off the rubber mats. It's hard to explain but pretty much the bar touches the floor and comes back up right away. Forgot the the technique's name.

Quote:
nope no grip issues, my PR is 315 x 1 and it was my legs that failed me on the second rep attempt getting off the ground.

deadlifting, chinups/pullups will greatly improve your grip strength over time
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
My grip failed at 525
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
My grip failed at 525
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
How long do you keep the bar on the ground? For max weights I see some guys bouncing the weights off the rubber mats. It's hard to explain but pretty much the bar touches the floor and comes back up right away. Forgot the the technique's name.
my reps are very controlled, i lock out at the top then bar touches body all the way as I "sit" back down, I let weight rest on floor and then start next rep.

The weight doesn't sit on floor for more than 2-3 seconds, enough time to set myself again / adjust my grip. No added momentum.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
sadpanda03

Thanks for letting me know about the thumb placement. Didn't know it was bad!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
z00

Also for bench and any other grip, thumps on top is better and safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadpanda03 View Post
Thanks for letting me know about the thumb placement. Didn't know it was bad!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
z00

I don't do any dedicated forearms exercise. Do you? Maybe I should start to improve grip strength.

Quote:
my reps are very controlled, i lock out at the top then bar touches body all the way as I "sit" back down, I let weight rest on floor and then start next rep.

The weight doesn't sit on floor for more than 2-3 seconds, enough time to set myself again / adjust my grip. No added momentum.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
AmazingNutz
Banned User

My Ride: carpet
Does anyone DL using the Sumo posture? I switched over from the traditional position because it was hurting my back, maybe I had bad form.

Back on topic, I work out at home and squat and DL with house slippers. I'm gonna try barefoot because I slip and slide a little with the slippers.

Sent from my G6
AmazingNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
dabears

Deadlifts should fatigue the back, but not cause pain. Out of the big 3 (squat/benchpress/deadlift) I personally think its the hardest form to learn, and when I see people deadlifting almost 99% of the time there is something wrong with their form.

Sumo is more leg intensive, and as you found out, takes away from the "back" part of the exercise. Stick to squats and romanian (stiff legged) deadlifts for quad / hamstring development and deadlift conventional with proper form to get a ripped back.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
I don't do any dedicated forearms exercise. Do you? Maybe I should start to improve grip strength.
I've been working forearms 2x a week whenever I can fit them in, got wicked bad golfer's elbow. Be careful.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote