E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
KyungMin

My Ride: 2002 M3 Cabrio
Oil pan is stripped..

So I was doing an oil change and the bolt just kept spinning...
My friend was able to get the bolt off but it goes in crooked so my guess is
whoever did the last oil change cross threaded the bolt when an oil change was done.. :/
The car is on a lift at a friends shop and he isn't charging me to keep it there..
was wondering what the OEM bolt size was and what size i should go with for
a oversize self tapping drain bolt.. thanks in advance...
tried searching but not sure what size to buy...

Last edited by KyungMin; 01-28-2013 at 11:26 PM.
KyungMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
b3llum

My Ride: 330Ci
Hey there!
Are you talking about the oil drain plug located on the oil pan? If so, the size for mine is 12 x 1.5 mm, part #: 11131273093, however I have a non-m e46 and yours may differ. I think this website can help you;

http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kin...one=USA&arch=0_nr_
b3llum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
maybe call the dealer?

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
I have felt your terrible pain... I was like Hudson in 'Aliens': "this can't be happenin', man!" and so on.
Not without self-endorsement I present the selling of my used Time-Sert 1215c oil pan thread repair kit.
As the story states: I fixed my stripped pan (stripped by an indy shop as I see it)... and WOW, I'm in Seattle as well! The kit is boxed for shipping and could be shipped very quickly or perhaps delivered/picked up if more convenient (for me/you).
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
KyungMin

I pm'd u my phone number.. Give me a call or text I'm interested in that kit but had some questions..
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
I have felt your terrible pain... I was like Hudson in 'Aliens': "this can't be happenin', man!" and so on.
Not without self-endorsement I present the selling of my used Time-Sert 1215c oil pan thread repair kit.
As the story states: I fixed my stripped pan (stripped by an indy shop as I see it)... and WOW, I'm in Seattle as well! The kit is boxed for shipping and could be shipped very quickly or perhaps delivered/picked up if more convenient (for me/you).
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
Well hell, that's convenient!

Let us know how the repair goes, OP.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP...first, see realoem.com for PNs...very often it'll list dimensions of bolts...not sure of plugs, but I might have an extra lying around I can measure.

Second thing is that you might start by just chasing the threads with proper sized tap. It's not in there very tight and the seal comes from the crush washer, not the threads, so there's a decent chance you'd have plenty of torque to hold it sealed...maybe a dap of rtv to be safe.

Just a little burr could be enough to throw it off and you could easily get lucky...before you go the timesert route.

Also, they do make oversized plugs and you'd be able to just open up the threads a little more and be good. Maybe you need to drill out cleanly first, but I don't think so...not if you're just opening them up a tad bigger. That's sort of a guess...you might have to start basically fresh again with clean hole...but again, you don't need a lot of torque to hold a seal there.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
KyungMin

I talked to south lake europeon which has a 5 for 5 star rating on yelp.. the said they'll do it for an hour of labor which is $99
Luckily they are only like 5 miles away.. so ill probably put the plug on with some teflon tape and just drive it there..
I don't feel comfortable doing the job myself.. lol

Last edited by KyungMin; 01-29-2013 at 12:51 PM.
KyungMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Mr.Miller

My Ride: Bmw m3
same thing happen to me but i had to retread a new bolt
Mr.Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN_M3 View Post
happened to me 3 weeks ago... the bolt is designed to strip before the pan does. I just bought an oversized drain plug and now I'll just suck the oil out instead of draining it next time.
If youre looking for an oil vacuum, bavauto has them, I bought it for around 100 bucks after shipping.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote