E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #1141
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
Question for people with thule racks.......I'm getting a rack for the TL and I was wondering what the best thule tray for the aero bars is?

Is one that grabs the frame or the front wheel better?...I would like to get one that I don't have to take the front wheel off.

My bike is a Trek 29er.
Thanks.
Here's a thread with some info and pics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=853714. There are also a few bike carrier posts earlier ITT.

I went with fork mount carriers because of this line of reasoning: probably want to leave the rack assembly on the car most of the time -> want to maximize mpg and minimize noise for the 90% of my driving thats done w/o a bike on the roof -> fork mount carriers have lower aero profile and weigh less.

The added bonus for the fork mount carriers is they carry the bike a little lower, so your overall vehicle height is shorter for garages and drive-thrus. At my parents place (oversize garage door) I can load the bikes on the roof in the garage the night before I leave and not have to mess with it the morning of departure. But they JUST barely clear. Wouldn't be able to do that with a carrier that left the wheel on.

Obvious downsides to my set-up:

- You have to take the front wheel off all the time (with a QR, this just isnt a big deal to me ).

- The front wheel has to go somewhere and takes up a lot of the trunk. Wheels also don't like having stuff on top of them, so if you're packing for a trip/vacation, that can present a packing challenge.*

- Esp with mtb, the wheel can get pretty dirty. I keep a couple old towels in the trunk to wrap around the wheel to keep the trunk clean. But its a trunk, if it gets dirt in it, can just vacuum it out or yank the liner and hose it off.*

* As a possible alleviation to these last two, Thule makes the 593 Wheel On, which carries the front wheel on the rack. I've been thinking about getting a pair, but havent taken the plunge yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
If you buy a good floor pump (I got the more expensive Bontrager after going through a few cheap ones) the gauge should be accurate. If I'm on the trail and get a flat, I do go with the "close enough" method until I get back.

I run tubeless. Much more comfortable and you can run lower psi, plus it weighs less at the most critical point. You should try it!

Farmdog... I have the Echelon and the Sidearm... the Echelon is much quieter and less intrusive when I'm not carrying a bike. The big mouth wasn't out when I got mine... but it looks good!
I agree on the good floor pump = good gauge connection. But my JoeBlow is a pretty decent pump and the gauge is pretty accurate in the roadie-psi range, not terrifically accurate in the mtb-psi range. Its closer than my cheapie pump for both, though.

I do the same on the trail. I use a frame pump or CO2 and kuksul08's patented smush test method.

I keep eyeballing Stans or ghetto tubeless. Whats your set up?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #1142
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

- The front wheel has to go somewhere and takes up a lot of the trunk. Wheels also don't like having stuff on top of them, so if you're packing for a trip/vacation, that can present a packing challenge.*

- Esp with mtb, the wheel can get pretty dirty. I keep a couple old towels in the trunk to wrap around the wheel to keep the trunk clean. But its a trunk, if it gets dirt in it, can just vacuum it out or yank the liner and hose it off.*

* As a possible alleviation to these last two, Thule makes the 593 Wheel On, which carries the front wheel on the rack. I've been thinking about getting a pair, but havent taken the plunge yet.

I agree on the good floor pump = good gauge connection. But my JoeBlow is a pretty decent pump and the gauge is pretty accurate in the roadie-psi range, not terrifically accurate in the mtb-psi range. Its closer than my cheapie pump for both, though.

I do the same on the trail. I use a frame pump or CO2 and kuksul08's patented smush test method.

I keep eyeballing Stans or ghetto tubeless. Whats your set up?
I second what you said about wheels taking up a good deal of space in the trunk. I carry Hefty bags when I go out (for the wheel)- and I pressure wash my trunk mat once a year or so.

I have tubeless ready wheels (The Cannondale has ZTR Arch rims) and the Rig had (sold it- dumb me. Awesome bike!) Bontrager Duster rims and American Classic rims (depending on which setup I was using)- which IIRC are tubeless ready.

Actually I think the American Classics are old and were not tubeless ready.

From memory, I just taped the rim (with the correct tape? eek) mount on the tires (Bontrager Dusters are my go to- there are probably much better options now), add the Stans fluid, and "pop" it with a c02 cartridge from my portable kit.

There is a longass thread about the best "brew" for homeade tire sealant on mtbr. IMO- the game is not worth the candle. Buy whichever fluid you find most convenient. I think the whole tubeless system is pretty reliable now. Do you like your LBC? You could just ask them what they prefer- or have them do it. It won't cost too much.

One pro is (as you know) that you can drop the PSI lower. I only had a tire "fart" once, because I was running a little under 20psi (yikes!). I just filled it back up. When I get a flat with the tubeless brew (I did once- the tire was wrecked)- I put a tube in for the rest of the ride.

I've really gotten out of the ultra-technical gear side of mountain biking- I just like to ride. I used to be really into every little aspect- but am not so much anymore.

Having said that, I might build up a new bike soon. I built a Surly crosscheck hybrid bike for trails and road. But I really stopped riding on the road- because for me it has a type of danger (cars) that I'm not willing to put up with. I'd much rather get hurt enjoying myself on a trail then hit by a car- as morbid as that sounds. So anyway- I don't have a pure mountain bike anymore. There are a couple that I can borrow- like the Cannondale.

The crosscheck is only a so-so trail bike.

I should have kept my Rig. LOVED that bike. The grass is always greener on the other side- except sometimes it isn't! It was 21lbs and change in XL, with my clipless pedals (as setup in this picture- less the pedals).

This summer I think I'm going to get a 1x1 Salsa El Mariachi (or something), put a suspension fork on it- and finally call it a day.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #1143
Xcelratr

^^^ Thanks for all the good info. I appreciate it. Like that GF bike, too.

Mtb and roadie both have their upsides and downsides. For sure an upside to mtb rides is often the view you can earn by doing some climbing.

Today I rode Westridge-Sullivan Canyon in the Santa Monica mountains. I've done the ride a few times before, but it's been a few months since I was there.

The ride is a little over 10 miles, climbs about 1 mile on paved neighborhood streets, then about 3.5 miles up a dirt fire road that runs along a ridge up to San Vicente Mountain. It then traverses from one ridge to another and descends into a canyon and follows the canyon floor back to the starting spot.

Once upon a time, the peak of San Vicente was a Nike missile radar installation, positioned to watch for Soviet bombers coming in from the Pacific and potentially guide SAMs to them.

The radar station is long gone, but there is a viewing platform there now, and a few signs about the old radar installation.

My new iPhone has a "panorama" function on the camera. The attached pic is two panorama shots stitched together to give a 360 degree view from the top of the platform. The sun screws up the exposure, which is why the skies don't match. A lot of that could probably be fixed in Photoshop, but the original pics aren't good enough to justify spending a bunch of time on that.

The far left of the pic is basically headed towards Malibu. Most of what you see in the center of the pic is the San Fernando Valley. The antenna is pretty much due north. About 3/4 of the way toward the right side of the pic is downtown LA. Moving further right goes through West LA and SaMo. The SaMo Bay is visible with Palos Verdes and Catalina in the distance. Far right of the pic is back to Malibu.

This is the first time I tried the panorama function. Will have to play with it some more.

Yes
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #1144
Xcelratr

Yesterday, Specialized had their Test The Best mtb demo truck at Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park in Riverside. I went to this demo in Santa Monica last year.

This time I rode a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon EVO.

There's no doubt it is a killer bike. I'm used to riding a hardtail and I only did a short ride (8 miles). So I didn't get fully used to the bike. I didn't use the dropper post, left the front fork on Trail the whole ride and never really get used to the feeling of the rear end. The brakes are awesome and the shifting was really good.

According to Specialized's website, the rear shock has ProPedal with Climb, Trail and Descend settings. I only found a single lever with 2 positions on the shock and I found the rear end squishy/soft with the lever in either position. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it's different than the hardtail feel I'm used to. I also don't know what the tire pressures were, but I'm sure they were set lower than I'm used to running on my Rockhopper. The rear tire on the bike I rode was a Ground Control 26x2.3, not a Purgatory.

For you IE guys, Sycamore Cyn seems like a neat place to ride. It's basically a hilly park with a stream running through it and a ton of singletracks crisscrossing the whole area. Most of the riding wasn't technical at all. I did a few hike-a-bikes cuz I'm not that great a technical rider, but anything I walked was short, maybe 100 ft or so.

Overall, it was a lovely day. Mad props to Specialized for their Test The Best program and to Cyclery USA for hosting this event.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	495958   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	495959  

Yes
Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #1145
Grande D

That's very cool! I'm jealous of the scenery you have in Cali (in reference to your other post). I think if I lived in Cali I'd need gears though!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #1146
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
The new specialized bikes are really awesome. I know people who have sold their DH bikes for these new highly flickable and still very DH capable all mountain bikes. Full suspension is hard to get used to but then you can never go back. I have a friend that used to have a Santa Cruz Chameleon and advocated hard tails all the time. Then he switched to a Giant full suspension trail bike and is much faster and has more fun. One of the main arguments I hear for hard tails is more efficient climbing, but if you're doing a long technical trail, the rear suspension helps you track up rocks and ledges sooo much easier.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #1147
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
The new specialized bikes are really awesome. I know people who have sold their DH bikes for these new highly flickable and still very DH capable all mountain bikes. Full suspension is hard to get used to but then you can never go back. I have a friend that used to have a Santa Cruz Chameleon and advocated hard tails all the time. Then he switched to a Giant full suspension trail bike and is much faster and has more fun. One of the main arguments I hear for hard tails is more efficient climbing, but if you're doing a long technical trail, the rear suspension helps you track up rocks and ledges sooo much easier.
I think that depends on where you ride. Where I ride, it's mostly XC. People who switch from FS to HT enjoy it, because you don't need anything except a HT.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #1148
kuksul08

True I'm thinking mostly of trails with a lot of rocks. On smoother trails you dont need fs.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #1149
Grande D

Are there places to rent decent bikes out there? I'm doing a long roadtrip this summer and would love to get some rides in, but I'm not going to roof rack my bike (which sounds wrong for the trails anyway) across the country. I'm going north->south through California, so any part of the state would work.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #1150
kuksul08

Assuming you're going along the PCH, definitely stop in san luis obispo and contact cambria bicycle outfitters, foothill cyclery or art's cyclery beforehand to see if they do rentals or demos. They can point you to all the best riding in the area, particularly 'mdo', madonna, and the 'ridge', most within riding distance of each other, or a 15 minute drive.

one of the many epic views:

Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1151
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
My next bike will be FS for sure. After riding the Stumpy, maybe I don't need 150 mm of travel. But I suppose that will depend on wheel size, geometry and fork/shock quality and features.

It'll be a little while before I have to decide. I have ridden a 2012 Camber Pro Carbon 29, 2012 BMC Trail Fox TF02 and now the Stumpy. We'll see how the 650b thing shapes up.

Do want:
Rocky Mountain Element

or Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Are there places to rent decent bikes out there? I'm doing a long roadtrip this summer and would love to get some rides in, but I'm not going to roof rack my bike (which sounds wrong for the trails anyway) across the country. I'm going north->south through California, so any part of the state would work.
Cynergy Cycles in Santa Monica has a pretty decent rental fleet and is pretty close to a lot of trails in the SaMo Mountains.

There are many websites where you can find rides. I use Geoladders.

I also recommend you keep checking the Test The Best calendar (see link in my previous post). You may just luck out and be able to hit one of their demo days during your trip.

Yes
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #1152
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
My new to me ride I built from old parts, new parts, and ebay parts. I am ready to climb Pikes Peak this weekend

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by vilseck21; 03-25-2013 at 08:26 PM.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #1153
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Just put my deposit down to get in line for an Ibis Ripley 29er frameset in blue,

Scot Nichol, the founder of Ibis actually brought in one of the first Ripley's off the line in to my local bike store, it won me over pretty quickly compared to the Specialized Epic, especially for the price.

Thankfully a good friend of mine has a spare set of carbon 29er wheels and every other part I need to finish the build, minus the drivetrain, where I'll be going for the sram XX1, which has got to be the nicest gearset I've seen.

Looking like I should be getting my frame around late may.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #1154
Grande D

Very nice, take some pictures of it built up if you don't mind! Do you have a target weight?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #1155
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Well supposedly with the XX1 the ripley sits right near 23lbs, but I'll bet that's not factoring in the carbon wheels and every other goodie I'm going to weight weenie it with, like everything these guys make:

With all that in there I'll bet I could get somewhere close to 22lbs, stepping right on S-works epic turf, and for half the price with 120mm of travel to boot.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #1156
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
My new to me ride I built from old parts, new parts, and ebay parts. I am ready to climb Pikes Peak this weekend

[IMG][/IMG]
I have seen the mono side sided shock before, can someone explain the logic behind this design, I get that you save a little weight, but it seems to be from a physics/engineering point of view the single sided shock will always be less stable, tough, balanced etc., than a two sided shock...

Last edited by jwm5; 03-25-2013 at 09:44 PM.
jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #1157
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
[/IMG]
Thats purrrty. Is the shock upside down?

K2, that Ibis frame looks sweet, looking forward to hearing about the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
I have seen the mono side sided shock before, can someone explain the logic behind this design, I get that you save a little weight, but it seems to be from a physics/engineering point of view the single sided shock will always be less stable, tough, balanced etc., than a two sided shock...
Cannondale swears the Lefty design is awesome. People I've spoken with that ride them love them. I've never ridden one.

Yes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #1158
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post

The center of gravity is the same, there is no difference. I had an older lefty, and bought this one. You basically get a stiffer fork that can do 4+ inches at less weight than a SID. It looks funny but try one
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #1159
Xcelratr

I signed up for the Catalina Gran Fondo in May. Am doing the shortest route.

The climbing out of Avalon looks to be pretty tough (1,550 ft in 3.7 miles) so I've started on a little self-made (with weight lifting advice from Solly) training plan over the next month or so. I hope to be able to increase my leg strength and medium- to high-power output stamina enough to make the climb manageable.

Crossing my fingers for good weather, both to make the ride comfortable but also because I hope there will be some epic views from the tops of the ridges on the island.

Yes
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #1160
Xcelratr

Santa Cruz announced their new Bronson today. 150 mm travel, alum or carbon frame, 650b wheels. They've got it in the AM section of their website. Does look sweet.

Yes