E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Response to my email to US Rep Greg Walden

Just got this email response from US Representative Greg Walden (R - Oregon). Bolding is mine:

Quote:
Dear Brew:

Thanks for contacting me with your thoughts on gun control laws in light of the recent shootings.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families affected by these horrible tragedies in Clackamas and Newtown. As a father, I believe that we as a nation must work together to prevent these horrific acts of violence and address the underlying issues that cause them.

Every two years, I raise my hand as your Representative and swear to uphold and defend the U.S. Constitution. That's an oath I take seriously. The Second Amendment to the Constitution establishes a citizen's right to keep and bear arms, and I have always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.

The shooters in Oregon and Connecticut committed their crimes with stolen guns. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, a majority of guns used by criminals are stolen, bought on the black market, or obtained in other illegal ways. Another law is unlikely to deter these types of attacks which violate multiple laws to begin with.

I do think we can do more on the side of helping people with mental illness and those contemplating suicide. I'm working with leaders in these communities to see what they think would be most effective.

Thank you again for writing me about these issues. It's an honor to represent you in the U.S. Congress.

Best regards,

Greg Walden
Member of Congress
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Solid

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Nice...how long did it take to get that response?

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
What did you write to him?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
It took about a week for him to respond. I used Ruger's letter sending page to automatically send it to all the right folks: http://ruger.com/micros/advocacy/

Senator Jeff Merkley also responded but his email says "Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about any proposed legislation that would affect gun ownership by signing the Ruger Firearms petition." Along with some other non-committal wishy-washy stuff. I was kind of pissed because I didn't sign any petition, I just borrowed ruger's form of letter. So the next time I would change up the text somewhat.

Here's the ruger letter:

Quote:
Dear (Recipient),

I am a law-abiding citizen and responsible gun owner.

I am saddened by the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut, but I believe that efforts to impose new restrictions on me and other lawful and responsible owners like me are misguided. Did you know that violent crime with firearms has declined since the Federal "assault weapons ban" expired in 2004?

Your focus should be on strengthening mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICs checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Do NOT pass more gun laws; instead, work to enforce the more than 20,000 gun laws already on the books.

I am your constituent and I vote. Please represent me.

Sincerely,
(Your Contact Information)

Last edited by brew; 02-04-2013 at 04:34 PM.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote