E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
Question Who here is good with jetski's?

Got a 2008 Seadoo RXT 3 seater.

Flushed it out as usual after taking it for a spin on the weekend.

After i took the hose out and turned the jetski off i walked to the back of the ski where the jet is, and a spring shot out at me from no where - i didnt touch or move anything it just shot out. Dont know where its off or what it does but its about 13cm long and 1cm diameter, oh and the spring was actually cracked in half - so it came out in two pieces. A friend of mine with the same ski said he had a look for a spring but couldn't find anything.

They want to charge me money for a manual off the seadoo website.

Anyone know where this mystery spring came from?

I'm paranoid to take the ski out without getting the spring fixed, and havn't had time to take it to a shop.

Last edited by steve.k; 02-03-2013 at 12:54 AM.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
SHOoff11

My Ride: 1999 Lexus LS400
Could it be something to do with the reverse bucket? That's the only thing off the top of my head that would be using a spring about that size.

1999 Lexus LS400 Pearl White/Tan
-RSR Black-i Coilovers
-Battle Version Toe/Camber/Traction Arms kit
-BBS Super RS Replicas (19x8.5 +20/19x9.5 +20)

1983 BMW 733i 5MT Schwarz/Cardinal

Sold: 1999 328i sedan Alpine White/Sand
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Weird. Do all of the controls still feel ok and work properly? like the reverse thing, the steering, and the throttle linkage?

Maybe the spring actuated some kind of valve inside the hose connection. Or maybe it just held something in place so it wouldn't kink.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
M3JetBlack

My Ride: 2002 M3
Does it look something like this?

But only one spring... Thats the only picture i could find.

Do you have a picture of the spring?

My mod list is getting too long. Build thread coming soon!

Kinesis Wheels / BC Coils / Rogue El Diablo / CPI / Vorsteiner

Instagram: @somuchcalitis
M3JetBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
steve.k

Thanks for the help guys!
^^YES! That is the exact spring! It seriously just shot out - didn't touch a thing!

All the controls weren't jamming or anything.. the steering, reverse and throttle all felt normal..

Where does that spring belong??
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
M3JetBlack

I think it belongs to the reverse cone. I remember seeing a similar spring on our seadoo, but i cant check since we sold them.

EDIT: I dont know exactly were the spring belongs. I searched for it online for you and all i found was a Jet Pump mounting kit which included those same exact springs. Not sure what it is used for though...

Last edited by M3JetBlack; 02-03-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
steve.k

Thanks man i appreciate it. I've had a look online at some blown up section diagrams and all i have found with a remotely similar spring is this;

^ part 51 which is this; but it doesn't look the same

http://www.pwcperformanceparts.com/s...-Spring/Detail

I cant find anywhere a diagram or even a photo with the springs you posted (which was the exact spring from my jetski)... Do you remember where you got the photo of them from?

Thanks

Last edited by steve.k; 02-03-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
M3JetBlack

The funny thing is, that image is for a 96 seadoo. That is all i could find it for too. When i searched for your specific seadoo, nothing similar pops up.

Here is were i found the image... https://www.google.com/search?q=sead...Mq_EiwKWtIHIAQ

I am not sure what that spring is for on your particular seadoo, but you said everything is functioning fine, right? Even the reverse gate?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
steve.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSilberGrau View Post
The funny thing is, that image is for a 96 seadoo. That is all i could find it for too. When i searched for your specific seadoo, nothing similar pops up.

Here is were i found the image... https://www.google.com/search?q=sead...Mq_EiwKWtIHIAQ

I am not sure what that spring is for on your particular seadoo, but you said everything is functioning fine, right? Even the reverse gate?
Thanks for the link.
I got that diagram off a website that said it was for a 2006 RXT lol so i dunno.

Yeah everything is functioning fine (outside of water) as far as i can tell. The reverse lever works and pulls down the reverse gate. I think it might be the spring pulling the lever down to the Forward position. It still goes into the Forward position but there is no pressure on the handle forcing it down, where as im pretty sure before hand the handle used to 'snap' down into Forward.

I had a look at that spring on ebay, and in the description it says it has superseded two part numbers which are not in production anymore.

Perhaps the spring that broke off my ski isn't in production and i need to get this new spring type
Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
steve.k

Scrap the last post, ended up finding it on ebay, it's called a Reverse Gate Spring and it's roughly $20
Weird though cause it says it only fits 1990-2000 models.
Anyways, it's the exact spring so it must fit.
Thanks heaps for the help!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
M3JetBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.k View Post
Scrap the last post, ended up finding it on ebay, it's called a Reverse Gate Spring and it's roughly $20
Weird though cause it says it only fits 1990-2000 models.
Anyways, it's the exact spring so it must fit.
Thanks heaps for the help!
Glad you figured it out! Now that you describe the "snap" of the reverse gate, it makes sense!

Hope it all works out!