E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #61
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
That's retarded.

I remember at first they wanted to make phones smaller and smaller (ie. razr), now they just want to make them bigger and bigger. I personally thought the Iphone 4/4s was the perfect size, I don't mind the 5, but anything larger than that is just ridiculous.
There was no point in bigger screens back then

I remember I paid like $500 or $700 for the Razr, IT WAS MADE OUT OF AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM!!1

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #62
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post

I remember I paid like $500 or $700 for the Razr, IT WAS MADE OUT OF AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM!!1
They still make their phones out of that, even the cheap ones. They're durable as hell

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #63
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post

Lol, I had paid $250 for mine, had it for almost 3 years before I got the HTC G1. Was still working flawlessly when I switched.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #64
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe
The honest answer was/is you can't go wrong either way. All phones are great. I went iPhone 5 because I have all apple products and it just works smoother with them. Also I had an android before this and got sick of the giant screen. I actually prefer the iPhones size vs bigger phones. Also everything on iPhone works great.

There is no wrong answer....
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #65
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuick5156 View Post
The honest answer was/is you can't go wrong either way. All phones are great. I went iPhone 5 because I have all apple products and it just works smoother with them. Also I had an android before this and got sick of the giant screen. I actually prefer the iPhones size vs bigger phones. Also everything on iPhone works great.

There is no wrong answer....
I agree with this. Having multiple strong platforms only makes every platform better--they have to be or they won't be around anymore. Ultimately we, the consumers, are the winners.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #66
tracerhank

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
If you're on Verizon, maybe check out Droid DNA. Its counterpart, the J Butterfly, is outselling iPhones in Asia.

Another thing that may be worth considering: are you a tinkerer or just a casual user? The biggest advantage the android OS has is you can make your launcher's look and feel be one and only by customizing it to however you want. If you don't like any default things, whether its keyboard or browser, you can download the ones you like and make them the new defaults. So freedom is a good thing. As far as usability, you'll adapt to any OS with time.
tracerhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #67
BringsMeWomen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Thanks for all the info guys! So i got my phone last night and ended up getting the iphone 5.

The reason why i got this instead of the samsung is because the note 2 was just a tad to big for me and i enjoyed the iphones display a lot more actually. The colours are very vibrant and the screen is very responsive compared to the samsung. The samsung is still has a good display but the iphone just barely tops the samsung. Ive owned a lot of apple products over the years and what makes them shine is the fluidity of their devices compared to andriod. Andriod is actually getting closer but still doesnt top apple yet but im sure they will soon.

Another reason was speed for me. Even though the note 2 has a quad core CPU the iphone actually keeps up with the note and sometimes even faster. This really shocked me how apple optimized the dual core CPU with their OS and i give a great thumbs up to them. Both phones The S3 is just a little slower than which was such a shame. I really loved the size of that phone but even with the new jellybean update it still seemed the iphone was faster. Ive seen many videos on youtube of people running benchmark tests and the iphone beat all 3 phones in most categories and the note 2 was basically the exact same. The s3 was slower which once again sucked because i almost convinced myself to get that phone.

My last reason was me being to lazy to adjust to the andriod OS lol. Even though their is a lot of expandability and customization compared to iOS i still like it even though it is getting dull and a little boring over the years...

So overall a great phone and i am enjoying it so far. I really like the samsung devices but it just isnt for me just yet. I can definitly see myself using an andriod device in the near future because of the endless things you can do on it. Apple just doesnt want to change and part of this is the consumers fault. People dont want change because apple got it right a few years ago and dont want to stray away from that. Sooner or later if apple doesnt start implementing new features to their devices, its going to be dry and played out. People will be bored of the same things. The best way to describe apple is "If it aint broken, dont fix it". They always make small changes to perfect their OS which isnt a bad thing because it is very simple to use for everybody out there. My dad took my 4s and got used to it very quickly and he is an idiot when it comes to technology lol. The iphone just works which is an easy way to describe but once again its getting a little repetitive. You can look at it either a positive way or negative.

I might make an iphone 5 review if im not to lazy to do it lol. Once again thanks for all the feedback my fellow fanatics!
BringsMeWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #68
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringsMeWomen View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! So i got my phone last night and ended up getting the iphone 5.

The reason why i got this instead of the samsung is because the note 2 was just a tad to big for me and i enjoyed the iphones display a lot more actually. The colours are very vibrant and the screen is very responsive compared to the samsung. The samsung is still has a good display but the iphone just barely tops the samsung. Ive owned a lot of apple products over the years and what makes them shine is the fluidity of their devices compared to andriod. Andriod is actually getting closer but still doesnt top apple yet but im sure they will soon.

Another reason was speed for me. Even though the note 2 has a quad core CPU the iphone actually keeps up with the note and sometimes even faster. This really shocked me how apple optimized the dual core CPU with their OS and i give a great thumbs up to them. Both phones The S3 is just a little slower than which was such a shame. I really loved the size of that phone but even with the new jellybean update it still seemed the iphone was faster. Ive seen many videos on youtube of people running benchmark tests and the iphone beat all 3 phones in most categories and the note 2 was basically the exact same. The s3 was slower which once again sucked because i almost convinced myself to get that phone.

My last reason was me being to lazy to adjust to the andriod OS lol. Even though their is a lot of expandability and customization compared to iOS i still like it even though it is getting dull and a little boring over the years...

So overall a great phone and i am enjoying it so far. I really like the samsung devices but it just isnt for me just yet. I can definitly see myself using an andriod device in the near future because of the endless things you can do on it. Apple just doesnt want to change and part of this is the consumers fault. People dont want change because apple got it right a few years ago and dont want to stray away from that. Sooner or later if apple doesnt start implementing new features to their devices, its going to be dry and played out. People will be bored of the same things. The best way to describe apple is "If it aint broken, dont fix it". They always make small changes to perfect their OS which isnt a bad thing because it is very simple to use for everybody out there. My dad took my 4s and got used to it very quickly and he is an idiot when it comes to technology lol. The iphone just works which is an easy way to describe but once again its getting a little repetitive. You can look at it either a positive way or negative.

I might make an iphone 5 review if im not to lazy to do it lol. Once again thanks for all the feedback my fellow fanatics!

Good choice.
As I already mentioned, the iOS is very polished and utilizes the hardware to the optimum.
Just like how macbook beats the PC with the same hardware.
Its all about getting the software right to use the hardware that is available.

I have been enjoying it since the launch day(gift to my fiancÚ) and thanksgiving gift to myself.
I have both of them unlocked(through ebay) and have the nano sim cutter. Thats when I travel abroad, so I dont have to pay for roaming charges.

Now with the speculation of the iOS 6 jailbreak coming tomorrow, I cant wait.

Enjoy your new phone.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #69
BringsMeWomen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Thanks let me know how the jailbreak is if you do it
BringsMeWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #70
trj

Yah, if they come out with jailbreak tomorrow I shall do it soon.
I need my tom tom GPS app on my phone and call blocker to block some numbers. Those are the only two things I need the jailbreak for. Everything else are extras.

I know google maps and apple maps are there but tom tom GPS app tops it all. Voice guided turn by turn 3D navigation with traffic speed limits and camera beeps, that app is awesome.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #71
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Tomtom is in the app store.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #72
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Tomtom is in the app store.
Yup, it is and I have the US maps. But now I am traveling, I will need the maps for europe and not willing to spend $$ for the maps of different countries for just a couple of weeks.

Also I need the call blocker really bad. This is the main reason I am impatient about the jailbreak.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #73
Solo118

My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Yup, it is and I have the US maps. But now I am traveling, I will need the maps for europe and not willing to spend $$ for the maps of different countries for just a couple of weeks.

Also I need the call blocker really bad. This is the main reason I am impatient about the jailbreak.
So what are you implying? If you think you can get tom-tom for "free" that is not really happening since a certain pirating app is shut down.

Solo118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #74
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
So what are you implying? If you think you can get tom-tom for "free" that is not really happening since a certain pirating app is shut down.
If I cant get it, then I will use google maps.
But I need the jailbreak for other apps as I already mentioned.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #75
trj

Jailbroken on iOS 6.1 just now.
Works great.
Now to find my apps and customize the phone to my liking.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #76
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Jailbroken on iOS 6.1 just now.
Works great.
Now to find my apps and customize the phone to my liking.
What exactly does jailbreaking do?

Anyways, the widgets on the droid at 100000x better than the iPhone. Does anyone know of a widget where I can turn on wireless/gps/bluetooth.. etc

this would make life a tad bit easier, i must say... any takers?
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #77
Shaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
What exactly does jailbreaking do?

Anyways, the widgets on the droid at 100000x better than the iPhone. Does anyone know of a widget where I can turn on wireless/gps/bluetooth.. etc

this would make life a tad bit easier, i must say... any takers?
jailbreak and download SBSettings
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #78
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
jailbreak and download SBSettings
+1 on SBSettings

You can do a whole lot with jailbreak than only install widgets.
Jailbreak is almost like "rooting" the android.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #79
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
K... one more noob question.. well, partial noob, i've only had the phone for a month, and i'm at work so time isn't necessarily on my side right now. Can you post a link on how to Jailbreak? i'll do it tonight... TIA
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #80
Shaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
K... one more noob question.. well, partial noob, i've only had the phone for a month, and i'm at work so time isn't necessarily on my side right now. Can you post a link on how to Jailbreak? i'll do it tonight... TIA
There is a whole thread about it. Just go to evasi0n.com... it takes 5 minutes