E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #41
megus

My Ride: 318i
Send a message via ICQ to megus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
My question was about the preload adjustment and how to do it with what tools. I found out that I only need to put a pliers on the outer ring and turn it slightly as it was not really that tight. I have not yet road tested it so I don't know if the play has completely been eliminated. From what I can tell with the car on jackstands, the play has been reduced but not eliminated completely. I may end up needing a rebuilt rack.
Hmm, what do you mean "outer ring"
If you check my post, I explained how to tight up adjustment nut. Many ppl on this thread described to adjust that nut, however mine still had a rattle before I "rebuild"-spin 180 degree my input shaft.
So if you tried to tighten up the nut pls make sure there is no hard points in the steering with wheels on the air.

Mechanic from the steering rebuild shop explained to me- tightening the nut only help when the rack is still young, little spring loaded plastic pice inside the rack, just stops couple from rattling but not eliminate teeth wearing. He offered me to spin the input shaft for $200 or rebuild whole rack with replacing seals for $450. As a mechanic I figured out how to do spin it myself and described here
Hope it helps to save some money
megus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #42
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by megus View Post
Hmm, what do you mean "outer ring"
I have a ZHP and I think the adjusters are different. This is the way it looks. It's circled in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	489364  
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
megus

Yeah, it seems different. Is the outer and inner part turns separate? If yes, outer one might be lock nut but I'm not sure. In original rack there is only one nut/cup with some kind of lock tight stuff applied on the thread. It holds nut in a position but could be turned with extra torque..

I'm a mechanic and would try to undo this nuts to learn how does it work then tight it properly..
You may try to find assembly chart for this rack as it not original, manufacturer may supply one.
Good luck!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #44
Dave1027

Thanks, Megus.

When you did the "turn the input shaft 180 degrees" trick did you do it in the car or do you have to remove the rack first?

Last edited by Dave1027; 02-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
megus

I did in the car on the 4poster hoist. I almost removed the reck but left it connected to the end joints and hydraulic lines. May be it would be easier to just remove completely and do it on the bench., anyway the rack remove/install on e46 it's pice of cake!
Especially after bloody jeep Cherokee or new grand Cherokee..

Don't forget to mark everything before disassemble!!! And keep second gear still when twisting out and in primary gear. You won't need wheel alignment then!!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #46
Dave1027

Thanks again, Megus. I'm going to drop the rack this weekend to do the 180 spin thing. While looking at the rack last night it appears it was worked on before and somebody got the rack back in at least one tooth off so it's not centered. I'll correct that too.

Last edited by Dave1027; 02-13-2013 at 12:29 PM.