E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: TOO MANY TO LIST
Send a message via AIM to MJM Distributing Send a message via Yahoo to MJM Distributing
Low-Down + Facts + Skinny: Springs vs Coilovers vs Air Suspension!

[center]

You see tons and tons of threads asking what suspension one should go with on their vehicle. Much like a set of wheels, a good steak, a cold beer (or even a hot woman), very few men want the same thing from their suspension. We're pretty much all different, have different driving habits, want to go in a different direction with our projects, drive our cars more or less daily (or weekly) than the next fella, and last, but not least, live in different parts of the country (or state) where driving conditions make all the difference in the world with the suspension you decide to go with. We'll go out on a limb here and say that we're probably one of the few (if only) shops around with *in-house* shop cars that run on every darn combo you can think of - air suspension (Air Lift), coilovers (both KONI and B&G) springs with shocks (Eibach Pro-Kit with Bilstein HD), springs with shocks (NEUSPEED Sports with KONI Adjustable Sports) and yet another vehicle on a different combo of springs with shocks (a KONI FSD Eibach kit), ranging from a MK1 VW, a MK2 VW, a MK3 VW, an Audi B6 A4, a Suburban tow vehicle, two VW Corrados, a Mazda3 and an RX-7. Oh, and we'll be picking up a 335xi inside the next 180 days as a Bimmer project (our first) and it'll be on a set of coilovers that are TBA once we obtain the car. Yes, we like to collect cars and take up useless (or would that be precious?) space with them. The point? That we have the best of all worlds right here at our facility on each of our own in-house cars, drive them every day (and drive them hard), giving you hands-on experience and real world situations with air vs. coilovers vs. springs with matched shocks (both adjustable and non-adjustable). Without a doubt, there is a benefit and downside to each and no two people want the same thing from their suspension, hence why we have different vehicles here within our in-house projects all with different setups on them. Below will give you the breakdown of each:

SPRINGS WITH SHOCKS:

Because of cost, this is by far the most popular combination when choosing a performance suspension for your vehicle. This setup can pretty much give you the same benefits of coilovers without the ride height adjustability (that is if using KONI Sport Shocks). Rebound dampening adjustability (if using KONI Sport Shocks) can also be tailor-mated to the spring of your choice, again, giving you the same exact options of a good coilover kit. The downside, however, is that unlike coilovers or air, you cannot adjust the ride height. Determining what drop is right for you (i.e. .75", 1", 1.5", 2", etc) and deciding on what springs to go with (B&G, Eibach, H&R, Vogtland, NEUSPEED) is the biggest challenge. How low (or not low) do you want to go? Do you want the option of adjusting them for softness or firmness, or would you simply like a non-adjustable shock like the KONI Street (Orange) Shocks or Bilstein Sport Shocks?

COILOVER KITS:

No different than a spring with shock combo, but with the ability to adjust ride height and rebound dampening adjustability (kit dependent). Some kits on the market today offer rebound dampening and some do not (the difference being $$$$). All will offer ride height adjustments, though. Typically used for racing (most notably for corner balancing), coilovers are going to typically cost more than a spring and shock combo, but not typically as much as an air ride system. Most "real world" coilover users today are typically buying coilovers for the "idea" of having them and not necessarily for what they're intended for (racing and corner balancing). What we've found with a majority of our customers is that they're buying coilovers for their cars, dialing them in with ride height and dampening (where applicable) where they like it, then never, ever touching them again. That is nice and all, but somewhat defeats the purpose of spending $1000+ (or more) on a "racing" suspension, no? If you're comfortable with the 1.5" to 2" range (which is where a majority of your daily drivers are), why not just do a good spring with shock kit? A quality spring and shock combo (for a lot less money) will get you the same exact results with improved handling and steering response - and again - that adjustability should you go with a KONI Sport Shock. Ultimately, it's the end user's decision on what he wants to do, but nowadays it seems that most people just want to be able to say, "I have coilovers!" as opposed to actually using them for the track or the other types of racing they're intended for.

AIR SUSPENSION:

Obviously, air is going to be the most superior in "adjustability" options when it comes to suspension. Air ride is not a full-on "racing" suspension, but nor is a spring and shock combination necessarily one, either. For real world conditions (i.e. daily driving with occasional "spirited driving"), an air setup can be the perfect solution for those wanting comfort and ride height adjustability. Air will indeed ride the best in respect to comfort, but also comes with a price tag and minor trunk space loss that springs with shocks or coilovers do not have you sacrificing (hopefully you don't play golf). Even then, however, there are kits available with small compressors and tanks where a good portion of your trunk can be retained with false floors, hiding components, etc (something we can do for you here in-house at MJM). We recently removed coilovers on one of our cars (our B6 Audi A4 1.8TQ as seen in this month's "Eurotuner Magazine") and replaced it with air and two things were immediately evident:

1) The handling did not change whatsoever.

2) The ride comfort did indeed get better after changing over to air.

Air ride, however, is not for everyone, but on the particular car we did it on here at our facility, we would not go back to any other suspension setup and the difference is night and day over coilovers. In hindsight, we wish we would have made the decision to bag one of our cars a lot earlier than we did. It's cool for only about 101 different reasons, but not exactly something we want on each and every one of our 9 in-house project cars here at MJM, and again, it's certainly not for everyone (as they say, to each his own).

Suspension makes up for a fair percentage of our business here and we have experience with pretty much every single combination of setups you could imagine. Feel free to email us through our site (www.mjmautohaus.com) for some 1-on-1 consultation on what would work best for you based on your driving style, driving habits, road conditions, performance desires and budget for suspension modding. Again, we're the sole Warehouse Distributors for Air Lift, B&G Suspension, Eibach, H&R Special Springs KONI and NEUSPEED here in South Texas with more *in-stock* suspension part numbers than any single distributor in our region and have experience with any setup your little heart desires. Whether you want the "static" of the firm and denture-loosing setup of something like an H&R Race Spring (or Eibach Sportline) with KONI's famed adjustable Sport Shock or the OEM + and OEM feel of an KONI FSD Shock Kit (that rides better than a factory car), we're here to serve you with what most folks want to do first with their car - THE SUSPENSION! Feel free to hit us up if we can help or if you have any questions.

Last edited by MJM Distributing; 08-22-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1377151366
MJM Distributing is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Madshady

My Ride: 325i
what would it cost to change a 04 325i to air ride and on a scale 1 to 10 how hard would it be to diy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Madshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to MJM Distributing Send a message via Yahoo to MJM Distributing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madshady View Post
what would it cost to change a 04 325i to air ride and on a scale 1 to 10 how hard would it be to diy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
The actual bottom line "cost" varies quite a bit depending on many things. The beauty of air is that it's extremely easy to do yourself (especially with the Air Lift kits). I mean, if you can install springs and shocks (which are very straight forward and 100% bolt-on and bolt-off) along with wiring up power, ground and remote (just like you would a car stereo), then you can install your own air suspension. Yes, it's that easy. Now, however, where the "expertise" comes in (for lack of a better word) is when you start determining how you want your trunk to look. You sure in the heck don't want to just bolt down your compressor, tank, board brains and all that jazz. You'd like it to look neat back there, maybe with a false floor hiding some of the components, tucking some things away, etc. It's much like you would with a stereo system. Just like you wouldn't just throw some subs in the back and glue down your amps, you wouldn't do it with your air stuff. You want it clean back there. That is why the pricing can differentiate from install to install. Did you want it integrated with your sub box? Two small air tanks (instead of one bigger one) tucked away in the sides, etc? Again, that's where pricing differentiates.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
great write up. id love air in the M3, but i'd rather put it in something more luxurious....maybe a e38.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

A ONCE LOCAL LAD'S E46 M3 THAT SAT ON AIR BEFORE BEING TOTALED!

Last edited by MJM Distributing; 08-13-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
sweet jones

My Ride: CLK, S54 E46 Touring
OMG! how could someone do that to a race car?!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet jones View Post
Danny's M3 was never a "race" car, per se. He drove it aggressively on air and it handled extremely well. Cars equipped with air suspension are tracked all the time (we'll post a cool video shortly showing you guys). Dampening and spring rates can also be tuned with select air kits. If you're building a "TRACK ONLY" car, then no, air is not the direction you want to go in. However, if you're building a car that is driven daily (and driven a lot), that you want to ride like a stock car without loosening your dentures, and it's a car you want to take out on track days every now and then, air suspension is a great option if you've got that kind of budget to work with.

- The Ultimate in Adjustability
- Riding Comfort Like OE Suspension
- The Handling of a Performance Suspension
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet jones View Post
Danny has jokes!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Eurohb

My Ride: E46 Touring
If the price is right.. how much is it for a 323iT? I am interested in a basic air set up.
Eurohb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohb View Post
If the price is right.. how much is it for a 323iT? I am interested in a basic air set up.
Please PM us. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

A TRUNK WE JUST FINISHED UP THIS WEEK - EVERYTHING HIDDEN WITH A CLEAN OEM + INSTALL!

Last edited by MJM Distributing; 08-13-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
sjacoby112

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM Distributing View Post
A LOCAL LAD'S E46 M3 THAT SAT ON AIR!

non m fenders??? why???
sjacoby112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
those are actually m fenders, they just have the side grills shaved. some people prefer that smooth clean look.

also, shame on you for not having an e30 kit!!!!! haha jk. ill check back in a year and see if it ever happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmann View Post
those are actually m fenders, they just have the side grills shaved. some people prefer that smooth clean look.

also, shame on you for not having an e30 kit!!!!! haha jk. ill check back in a year and see if it ever happens.
We agree that it looks better without the vents. Staying cleanly shaven is never a bad thing...
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
will a 1999 323i be able to lay frame or bumpers with this kit? or will it be slight above the ground? an inch?
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by domcreates View Post
will a 1999 323i be able to lay frame or bumpers with this kit? or will it be slight above the ground? an inch?
Are you looking to set the entire chassis on the ground?

With it set all the way down, the car will be about an inch off the pavement.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

THE SUSPENSION LINES WE DISTRIBUTE!