E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
zracat

My Ride: 06 330Cic, 05 325Cic
Engine locked up. Found oil top of pistons

Yesterday my 2006 330cic with 96k, died on the highway, wife was just turning a corner at a stop sign. Had it towed to may gargage. The engine would not even turn over, tried with shocket on the front of engine a and would not turn over. Checked dip stick and oil level was way low, hardly on the stick. Wife said no lights came on at all. She smelled something burning and seen smoke come out from behind car and it died. I hooked my code reader hoping to find some answers and there are no code on it all, clear. Pulled the cover off the top of the engine, chain was still on looked good both cams looked ok. Pulled plugs out, and all were filled with oil? I Sucked all the oil out on top of the pistons and then I turned it over by hand and it was free felt fine.
Decided intake problem. Some how the oil got sucked out of the tube by the dipstick and dumped into the intake manifold and it fill the pistons and kill the engine.
Has anyone heard of this problem?
I pulled the intake off and could see the oil inside the intake manifold.
Any help on this would be great.
Just trying to figure this out, what broke or what happened to it?
I hope someone can steer me in the right direction on this .
Any help or feed back on this would be great? Thanks
zracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
BMW2k3

My Ride: '04 330ci & '93 E30
Was the car warmed up when this happened or was it parked and had just started driving? Sounds like the oil separator froze and failed, causing the engine to vacuum oil from the crankcase into the intake manifold/cylinders, effectively hydro locking the motor. This is a known problem that can happen in cold climates, due to condensation freezing in the oil separator.

I would clean all of the oil out thoroughly and replace the oil separator and hoses with the cold climate versions of th parts offered by BMW, hopefully there was no damage to the valves. There is a BMW tsb document out there describing this issue and referencing the cold climate parts.

Past:
E92 335i 6MT: JB4 | DCI | CDV Delete | BMW Performance SSK
E36 M3 5MT: AFE Intake | M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | DDM Catback | Shark | Clears
E46 323ci 5MT: 330 Brakes | H&R Cup Kit | SSK | Clears | 3.46 | 18" CSLs | E36 M3 Clutch & LTW Flywheel
BMW2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Or, the oil return line from the CCV blocked up, and the oil backed up into the engine. Check the hose that drains into the dipstick tube.
The CCV does not have to freeze up to malfunction.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Go ahead and install a new CVV with new hoses. Start your car and then analyze if you did any damage. Make sure you use the cold weather version of the CVV and hoses.

When stating freezing of CVV, it really means that a passage has become clogged because the water/oil sludge gets thick in colder weather and finally closes a passage which causes improper operation of the CVV. This causing oil to be sucked into the cylinders.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 02-02-2013 at 07:01 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
zracat

Thanks for the the info everyone.
That was the problem the oil separator froze and sucked up the oil.
This morning I cleaned out the oil in the top of the pistons and everywhere else there was oil, put everything back together minus the oil separator and started it up and drove it. It ran and drove good considering I just cleaned off the plugs and no oil separator on it. It smoke real bad for 15 minutes, burning off all that oil.
I'll order that new updated cold weather separator on Monday and install it along with a new set of plugs. Didn't seem to hurt anything else.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Great news to hear that the engine is fine after all that.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post

When stating freezing of CVV, it really means that a passage has become clogged because the water/oil sludge gets thick in colder weather and finally closes a passage which causes improper operation of the CVV. This causing oil to be sucked into the cylinders.
That's cool. I was not trying to be a smart ass. But they do actually freeze in cold weather as well, so I was just pointing out the fact that other problems can occur as well. In the end, we were saying the same thing, and we were right.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
That's cool. I was not trying to be a smart ass. But they do actually freeze in cold weather as well, so I was just pointing out the fact that other problems can occur as well. In the end, we were saying the same thing, and we were right.
Now I am not trying to be a smart ass, but what specifically freezes? Can you explain to me what you mean by It freezes? I don't think anything just freezes, but over time you have a build up of sludge and it just gets thicker as the temperature gets lower. With prolonged time in cold weather, it just builds up to the point of clogging a passage. I don't think I said it does not occur in cold weather. Did it freeze, or just get thick and plug up? I am just trying to explain to our fine fanatics what people mean when saying the CVV freezes.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
zracat

Do you guys have a part number for the updated separator? This is the PN I found 11617533400.
That way I can order it on line rather than going to the stealer.
I also heard that BMW has a kit for this problem, would love to get that PN as well.
Looks like i will have to do the update to my 2005 335cic as well. I don't want this to happen again.
Thanks Jack
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
BMWCaptain

Here are the part numbers for the individual parts of the cold weather kit:

11 61 7 533 400 - Oil Separator Valve
11 15 7 532 629 - Vent Hose
11 61 7 533 398 - Vent Pipe
11 61 7 533 399 - Connecting Line
11 61 7 504 536 - Return Pipe
11 72 7 545 323 - Vacuum Hose
11 43 1 740 045 - Oil dip stick o-ring

This was taken from BAVAUTO's website for their kit they sell for $179.95. It states it fits your 2006 330cic.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Now I am not trying to be a smart ass, but what specifically freezes? Can you explain to me what you mean by It freezes? I don't think anything just freezes, but over time you have a build up of sludge and it just gets thicker as the temperature gets lower. With prolonged time in cold weather, it just builds up to the point of clogging a passage. I don't think I said it does not occur in cold weather. Did it freeze, or just get thick and plug up? I am just trying to explain to our fine fanatics what people mean when saying the CVV freezes.

I have read mentions of the diaphragm inside the valve getting stuck from moisture trapped in the valve actually, physically freezing in cold weather. I assume the moisture is inside the valve due to the car being used for short trips.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
zracat

Thanks BMWCaptain!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
BMWCaptain

Your welcome.

Here is the part number for the whole kit incase someone is interested in it to 11 61 7 533 KIT.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
MJLavelle

You may want to look at getting a new dipstick tube as well. BMW released a redesigned tube, to prevent the type of clogging you experienced. You also have to replace the dipstick as well, since they are different lengths. There is more on the new tube design here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13417197
I would guess that most people do not bother with this, but it comes down to budget, and how often you want to have to check for clogs in the old style tube. Just replacing the CCV is probably sufficient, but only you can make that call.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
yellow2000s/r

My Ride: 330ci
I just experienced the same thing. Was driving for about 5 minutes the other week when it hit 18* and all the sudden it was like a huge fog machine as I was coasting downhill and I lost most power. Pulled over after figuring it to be the CCV as it was making noises leading up to it and I had the cold weather kit at home for ~6 months and was too lazy to install. Let it sit a few hours till late at night then drove it 4 miles home which was mostly downhill so I turned it off and coasted over 1/2 the time.

Took less then 3 hours to replace the hoses/valve/TB gasket. When you do it, remove the 2 13mm bolts from the power steering reservoir and the little sensor hanging on a bracket behind it and you can reach in/under the intake mani some and help guide the hoses down to the CCV then use a screwdriver to push on the clips to get the final click/lock on.
yellow2000s/r is offline   Reply With Quote