E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
Swimming?

So my knee issues are back, doc sending me for MRI and Xray, no squats, no weights with legs, no running. Basically no pressure on my knee

So I cannot sit at home and just work and not work out. Gym, forget it as cardio will be annoying. Went to my friends boxing gym, schedule won't work for me. So I thought maybe I can go lane swimming, there's a place near my home and dirt cheap.

Now I know how to swim and if i remember doing 3-4 laps i'm breathing heavy, so what type of swimming should I do and what type of workout should I do? Just swim till I can't? Do few laps, break, few laps, break?

I don't have a bar that is set in front of me so no idea what to aim for?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
I'm a college swimmer but not a trainer haha. I'd say don't just swim really easy, but do interval training. Don't push it really hard since you are recovering, but don't just be lazy. Just my opinion
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by domcreates View Post
I'm a college swimmer but not a trainer haha. I'd say don't just swim really easy, but do interval training. Don't push it really hard since you are recovering, but don't just be lazy. Just my opinion
Agreed. I wish I could swim regularly.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Agreed. I wish I could swim regularly.
I'm so tired of it lol. 2 more weeks and then i'm done until next year!

OP my un professional advice would be to do 50 yards hard and then walk or kinda float 25, then 50 fast, then 25 walk/float etc....

and at the end always do a 200 easy warm down

Last edited by domcreates; 01-30-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
ara

So I swam 20 lengths of 25m in under 26 minutes. Small breaks here and there. Wow. Arms no power and legs tired too. Gonna push more on Thursday.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Congratulations man! Thats not a bad start. When I was 90% sure I was enlisting in the Coast Guard I wanted to do the rescue swimmer program, I swam all the time. Its the type of workout that someone who says they're in good cardio shape from running etc/ will hop in the pool and be gassed after 3 laps. You have to build up your water confidence and endurance and it seems like you're doing well so far.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
ara

Thanks man. Any tips for front crawl in regards to breathing? And man my butterfly stroke sucks. Any tips
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
domcreates
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Congratulations man! Thats not a bad start. When I was 90% sure I was enlisting in the Coast Guard I wanted to do the rescue swimmer program, I swam all the time. Its the type of workout that someone who says they're in good cardio shape from running etc/ will hop in the pool and be gassed after 3 laps. You have to build up your water confidence and endurance and it seems like you're doing well so far.
I don't think running is the same as swimming at all. I would go straight from soccer season into swim season and the cardio part of swimming felt way different than what I had gotten in shape for by running.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
bostonsc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by domcreates View Post
I don't think running is the same as swimming at all. I would go straight from soccer season into swim season and the cardio part of swimming felt way different than what I had gotten in shape for by running.
Thats what I said! I was saying guys who are good runners hop in the pool and get completely gassed. Swimming is a whole new animal of cardio.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
bostonsc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
Thanks man. Any tips for front crawl in regards to breathing? And man my butterfly stroke sucks. Any tips
Front crawl / freestyle: Breathing is all relative to how you feel cardio wise. The generally accepted manner is to take a breath after every 3rd stroke. Meaning you alternate breathing on your left and right sides. When I was in good shape and did the 500, I would start by breathing every 5 strokes so I could keep streamline just a little longer, but as I got tired I'd go down to 3. You can do drills too! One lap at 7 strokes, then 5, then 3, then back up etc.

Butterfly: Its just a hard stroke to do man. I was never very good at it, only raced it a couple of times. I used to just keep my heels together as tight as possible and really use my calfs/ hamstrings to really force water away from me as you kick like a dolphin. Just make sure to get those arms up nice and high above your head too. The more water you move, the quicker it will be over. When you get tired people tend to lower the angle at which their hands come out of the water, and that just slows you down. Do your best man, its an exhausting stroke.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
ara

I like the advice thank you, as for the butterfly, what's the proper sequence. Legs first, then pull up?

Boy do I feel stupid, I meant the breast stroke, just watched a vid on butterfly, **** that

Last edited by ara; 02-07-2013 at 10:08 AM.
ara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
ara

900m tonight. In 50 minutes. Cramped my foot. Took a while to settle down. Loving it. My breathing is getting better. I feel like sneaking in a snorkel and just swim and focus on my workout
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
ara

I'm doing 1000m meters now each time I go, I feel like I don't kick enough in front crawl. Breathing every 2 strokes. I get water in my ears so gonna look into some ear plugs.