E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
Wind deflector arrived...freakin' amazing!

OEM BMW wind deflector arrived tonight...wife was so exited (OK, maybe I was a little too) that we put it on and went for a spin on the freeway w/the top down (55 degrees outside).

Lower top, install deflector, turn on heated seats, and zoom...

Could not believe the difference...noticeable almost immediately even at lower speeds, and as our speed increased the reduction in wind and wind noise was hard to believe.

My wife's hair (goes about 10 inches down her back) was just sitting there, not flying around wildly like it was without the deflector. No gale force gusts of wind rushing in from the back seat, and maybe best of all was the reduction in wind noise.

So my wife thinks I'm a genius (which may be true ) and more importantly she will be much more willing to put the top down when we're driving in less than toasty weather, which is great.

These should come stock w/every vert!

Last edited by Redflea; 02-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
I had one in my 911. They do work well as long as you don't need the rear seats. The one for m3 is pretty big. Does yours tilt forward? Every one that I have seen does that. Looks weird
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
I had one in my 911. They do work well as long as you don't need the rear seats. The one for m3 is pretty big. Does yours tilt forward? Every one that I have seen does that. Looks weird
It has a a slight forward angle when up - maybe 5-10 degrees? Pic below to give you a view from the side.

I like how it looks...the forward tilt makes it look like a Speed Racer wind deflector. ;-)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
petemo94

My Ride: 2004 325CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
I bought my 04 325Cic on 12/1/12 and it came with the WD. It looks like it is as almost as old as the car due to its fading material. When I first took it for a test drive it would fall down quite often. However thinking back it may have been installed backwards.

Since I bought the car it has never folded down on us. Agree that the 5-degree tilt helps it PLUS the faster u go the more the wind keeps it in place.

Agree with your assessment. This thing is well worth it even at full price!

PeteMo94
2004 325Cic, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Owned since 12/1/12
///M3 Floor Mats - Power under my feet!

petemo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Quote:
Pic below to give you a view from the side.
Where's the pic?

How quick is it to install & remove? I need my rear seat often for my daughter, but there are times I might be interested in using it, I just don't want to waste too much time on it.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemo94 View Post
I bought my 04 325Cic on 12/1/12 and it came with the WD. It looks like it is as almost as old as the car due to its fading material. When I first took it for a test drive it would fall down quite often. However thinking back it may have been installed backwards.

Since I bought the car it has never folded down on us. Agree that the 5-degree tilt helps it PLUS the faster u go the more the wind keeps it in place.

Agree with your assessment. This thing is well worth it even at full price!
Bolded part of your comment above was something that I didn't think about until we drove with ours in place...it takes very little effort to fold the vertical piece down when stopped, but when it's up and at speed the wind effects are actually keeping it from folding down. I have seen a couple posts about it sometimes folding down due to high turbulence (e.g., going by a large truck) on the freeway...
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Redflea

OK...emailed pics to myself from my phone, then uploaded from computer.

Die, Bimmer app, die...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130205_225227.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	489553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130205_225308.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	489554  

Last edited by Redflea; 02-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
Where's the pic?

How quick is it to install & remove? I need my rear seat often for my daughter, but there are times I might be interested in using it, I just don't want to waste too much time on it.
Damn Bimmer app on the phone would not let me add a pic to my post no matter what I did last night (just shows the image I'm trying to upload with "Upload to..." above and one button option "Cancel" below) so I gave up. Rant: I wish this forum used Tapatalk, that app at least works. Bimmer app also crashes when I view images. /Rant.

So am finding that Bimmer app won't let me add images to an edited post, pretends like it will let me add them to a new post, but sits there "waiting for a response" after the upload seems to complete and just stops. Argghhh.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
petemo94

Quote:
Where's the pic?

Literally you can insert it and take it out in a matter of 2-5 seconds. But if you have to put it in your trunk, it'll take another 10 seconds. Or just leave it in the back seat but it will take up space in that seat. The folding part of it is great bc it allows you to set it in the trunk.

PeteMo94

Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Redflea

Quote:
Where's the pic?

Depends on how tall she is - maybe have her crouch down under it?

The deflector goes in an out very easily, though it is better w/two people. WIth the top down, press the top up button briefly to open the top cover a foot or two.

Then unfold the deflector. The pins at either end that go into the mount holes are spring loaded, so you can trip one open, insert it, and go to the other side of the car and position the other pin in the mount hole, and the two arms on the back ends, and then release the pin to mount. (The two short arms on the rear corners of the horizontal piece sit in slots on either side of the seats to hold the rear of the deflector up and lock it into the car when the top cover is down.) Then press the top down button to close the top cover.

When removed it can be folded up and stored in the trunk or garage. When folded and in the case the dimensions are 29Lx5Wx18H. Pic attached w/a magazine on it to give you some scale.

Takes maybe all of a couple of minutes to install/remove once you've done it a few times.

Really depends on what the primary use of your vert is...primary around town and regularly w/the kids, other car for longer trips or majority of trips incude the kids, it might not be worth it. But if you're doing weekend get-aways up/down the freeway w/the wife in the vert I'd say it's definitely worth it. If you are patient you should be able to grab one for around $250.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130206_084051.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	489555  
Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Congrats... I love mine also.....
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuuuuuv View Post
congrats... I love mine also.....
+1

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Congrats... I love mine also.....
Seriously...the best part is that my wife thinks I'm a genius since I installed it for her.

I also got a $100 "attaboy" thank you from my boss this week that I'm using to take her out for dinner for Valentine's Day. I am pretty much golden at the moment.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
petemo94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Seriously...the best part is that my wife thinks I'm a genius since I installed it for her.

I also got a $100 "attaboy" thank you from my boss this week that I'm using to take her out for dinner for Valentine's Day. I am pretty much golden at the moment.
Just don't "blow it" and enjoy the night out on the town - may the weather be warm and winds calm

PeteMo94

Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post

Congrats... The FORCE is with you LUKE.....
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
best thing I did to my convertible hands down.

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
mcjreston

My Ride: 05 M3 Vert
I bought my deflector off Craig's list about a month ago for $250 and the guy threw in 2 quarts of M3 Castrol he no longer needed. Hasn't been warm enough in northern Virginia (and not raining) to try it out. One question - is it possible to raise the top with the deflector installed? I'm thinking of those times you drive somewhere with the top down and when you park you'd like to put the top up for security purposes. Can you leave the deflector installed when you raise the top in this case?
mcjreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #18
Jreid14

My Ride: 2004 325ci
No problem putting the top up with the wind deflector in place.
Jreid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
mcjreston

My Ride: 05 M3 Vert
Great, thanks!
mcjreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
Redflea

We leave ours on all the time...flip it down when driving w/the top up (for better visibility at night), and flip it up when the top is down.