E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
corNIC

My Ride: '01 M3, '06 x3
Vibration when turning left.

Got sort of a strange issue here on the M3. It's nothing that super bad but definitely noticeable. 2001 E46 M3. So when making right turns at any speed there are no noticeable problems whatsoever. However when I make a left turn at anything much over 40-50mph and turn the wheel about 20 degrees or more to the left the car will start to vibrate a bit, even if I'm not turning hard at all. It feels to me like the front right tire/wheel is almost a bit loose somewhere in the hub? I'm not sure what the correct term is but was curious if anyone had any ideas as to the potential cause.
corNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
corNIC

If I had to guess its the tie rod does that sound reasonable?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Try only making right turns. UPS has there drivers do it as it is more efficient than waiting for left turn signals in the city. Haha with what your describing I would look at the wheel bearing first. I can't think of anything else that would cause a rotational vibration under load.

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
corNIC

lol yes the old only make right turns maneuver. I was tinkering with it last night it does in fact do it at slow speeds too, it almost the sound I would expect from a tire rubbing on the wheel well and its something to do with the rotation as its intermittent in relation to the wheel rotation speed.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Check your front control arm bushing, those always seems to go to hell. You mentioned its your front right wheel. Guess where the the right fcab is next to? The hot headers with integrated catalytic converters. That fcab has no chance with the heat, just a matter of time. Jack the front passenger side, and shake your wheel for play.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
corNIC

I'll do it, I'm still driving in to work currently as I'm only making right hand turns so could be a while lol.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
joelnet

My Ride: '02 M3
my car does this, it was headers rubbing against the body. the lower part of the header near the x-pipe. the engine would shift and cause it to rub. only on left turns.

probably not your problem, but it's quick to check.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
corNIC

Well this very well might be my issue, can you advise where I need to check cause I'm not totally familiar with what the xpipe is etc. Thanks man!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Jack up wheel.
Use a jack stand.
Grab wheel at 12 and 6. Shake.
Grab wheel at 3 and 9. Shake.

If the wheel moves something is wrong.
Movement at 12 and 6 means bushings or ball joints.
Movement at 3 and 9 means tie rods or steering coupler.

Since its on one side only I'm going to eliminate the steering coupler.

Get someone under the car to watch with a good flashlight if you're having trouble identifying what's wrong.

Everything else is just a guess till you go test. This is an easy test, go do it, now! Don't post till you have as its just a waste of time to keep guessing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
corNIC

Yep I'm absolutely going to do that it's just been to frakin busy lately to take a peak, hoping to do it tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
M3SMG!

My Ride: 2002 M3
also could be the center support bearing rubber torn
M3SMG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SMG! View Post
also could be the center support bearing rubber torn
How would the driveshaft affect turning in one direction?
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
joelnet

My Ride: '02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by corNIC View Post
Well this very well might be my issue, can you advise where I need to check cause I'm not totally familiar with what the xpipe is etc. Thanks man!
Check the bottom of your header, a little above where it bolts up to the rest of the exhaust. There was noticeable rub marks on the header and the body of the car.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
///mteknikk

My Ride: 02 E46 M3
jack your car up and grab on to the wheel.
try pulling it from the sides and see if you feel excessive movement . (usually feels like a click or snap),if it does then its your tie rods.
try pulling from the top and bottom, if you hear a noise or any movement at all then its your hub bearing.
check all your control arm bushings for cracking or rotting, if anything looks bad chances are it is.
///mteknikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
corNIC

Well if you want a good chuckle for your Friday morning, I get ready to jack up the car last night to check the tie rod etc. and my car jack is about 1.5 inches too tall to fit under my M3 lol! I was like *facepalm*, then did walk of shame back into the house. I've only had the car about 2-3 weeks so I guess it's time to get some sort of low profile jack.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by corNIC View Post
Well if you want a good chuckle for your Friday morning, I get ready to jack up the car last night to check the tie rod etc. and my car jack is about 1.5 inches too tall to fit under my M3 lol! I was like *facepalm*, then did walk of shame back into the house. I've only had the car about 2-3 weeks so I guess it's time to get some sort of low profile jack.
Or just get a couple blocks of wood and drive up onto them.

Or build/buy some ramps:

Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
M3SMG!

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
How would the driveshaft affect turning in one direction?
My 328i would vibrate when I took a right hand turn and floored it. Not left. Who knows? I changed out the center support bearing ,problem solved.

M3SMG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
corNIC

All right gents. I finally had a decent day of weather and some time, so I made some ghetto ramps to get my jack under the car and then did what many of you suggested. I had what I would consider to be way too much movement going left to right with the front right wheel. I attached a quick video of me moving the wheel. There was almost zero movement top to bottom on the wheel.

http://jchost.net/wheel.MOV

Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
taylor192

The 3/9 (or left/right) test really needs to be done with someone holding the steering wheel to eliminate any slop... yet you seem to indicate one side is worse than the other and my wheel definitely doesn't move that much or that freely, so you've narrowed the problem.

Did you get under the car with a flashlight to see what was moving? Mostly likely this is a tie rod issue, which you should fix asap, although you want to be sure before throwing parts at it.

On many cars you'd just replace the inner or outer tie rod ends except on these cars its easier to replace the entire tie rod since apparently it can be difficult to separate the inner from the outer.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
corNIC

Basically from what I have been reading I definitely think it's the tie rod. I'm going to get under it again and take the wheel off to try and see if I can prove that movement is in the ball joint/tie rod. Assuming it is has anyone ordered the part from a place around here? I was looking at ECS tuning website they had a non OEM that seemed reasonable or is it better to just stick with original. I don't mind spending the extra 50 bucks if there is a legit reason to do so. I think this is a repair that I can do myself after reading a few DIY's and a video I found of a guy doing it on a e46 last night he made it look pretty easy. I guess in some ways it makes sense to just go ahead and replace them both since I'm going to have to pay for an alignment afterewards......not sure.