E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #221
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Why are you going so heavy on the RDL's? I'd drop the weight personally (..and up the weight that you're squatting, as well as add more reps), but that's just me. 18 total reps???? You need more time under tension dude if you want those legs to grow.
I tend to agree with this. Time under tension is supposedly the way to grow.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #222
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I would agree too, but I'm making gains with this. I'll add another set in at the end to make it 25 reps total, same as a 5x5 scheme to please y'all And I'm going to lower weight / increase reps for RDL.

When I start plateauing, I'll start making it harder on myself (like I do with bench). But for now I'm enjoying this!

I'm doing between 8 - 11 reps of deadlifts total through 2 sets... I don't know how TOT applies to deadlifts, but I am literally dead after two sets... and can't get weight off the floor.

I'll have to look more into how TOT applies to heavy compound lifts
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #223
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I would agree too, but I'm making gains with this. I'll add another set in at the end to make it 25 reps total, same as a 5x5 scheme to please y'all And I'm going to lower weight / increase reps for RDL.

When I start plateauing, I'll start making it harder on myself (like I do with bench). But for now I'm enjoying this!

I'm doing between 8 - 11 reps of deadlifts total through 2 sets... I don't know how TOT applies to deadlifts, but I am literally dead after two sets... and can't get weight off the floor.

I'll have to look more into how TOT applies to heavy compound lifts
You're making gains (..lifting consistently will do that), but you could be better optimizing your lifts. Why waste so much time/effort on heavy RDL's when you could be squatting more and realizing more FULL BODY gains???? You should be making it harder on yourself NOW. Change your approach man!

As for your rep scheme for dead lifts....

....you should adjust that as well. I'm regularly achieving 50-ish dead lift reps not including my two warm up sets at 135 lbs.

Example:

135 lbs. ...2 x 10 (..warm-up)
225 lbs. ...1 x 10
315 lbs. ...1 x 6
465 lbs. ...1 x 2
225 lbs. ...4 x 8 (..and by this time these sets are HARD, and are a real cardiovascular/muscular challenge)

Again, if you want to grow, you need more time under tension. The body only adapts when you force it too.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-06-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360199171
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #224
dabears

I agree with you on the RDL, I'll change it up.

But check my example for deadlifts, my muscular endurance just isn't there yet. What takes you 50 reps to fatigue yourself takes me 12-14 (believe me, I want to be at 50). I know I'm posting this on the internet without "proof" but trust me... I have nothing left in the tank.

This was a couple weeks ago:

135 x 6 (warmup)
225 x 6 (warmup, I stopped warming up so heavy btw)

285 x 4
275 x 1
225 x 4

I literally couldn't get 275 off the floor after that first rep, it was ridiculous. Tried to go to 225, got 4 reps.

And I've pulled 275 x 8 before, and 315 x 1.

I'm going up steadily in weight lifted, and trust me I'm way outside my comfort zone. When that changes, I know I need to increase the intensity even more.

I'm all ears for optimization for sure, but you have to remember my strength levels are still just past intermediate and I may just not need that sort of volume / TOT. Really trying hard not to sound like I'm making excuses btw I just really believe I'm giving the intensity I need to grow!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #225
dabears

Tell you what... I'm deadlifting friday. If you have time, give me an example rep scheme / weight range that I can do based on my latest deadlift (so I can actually lift the weight)

285x5
260x6

And I'll give it a shot... maybe I'll prove myself wrong.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #226
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Tell you what... I'm deadlifting friday. If you have time, give me an example rep scheme / weight range that I can do based on my latest deadlift (so I can actually lift the weight)

285x5
260x6

And I'll give it a shot... maybe I'll prove myself wrong.
If it were me I would probably do something like this:

135x5
185x4
225x3
275x3
295x2x5
225x5x5

You're at the point where you're trying to add muscle, so a lot of reps are going to help you to grow but heavy weights are going to help you feel comfortable with heavier weights in the future. This should accomplish both.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #227
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post

135x5
185x4
225x3
275x3
295x2x5
225x5x5

You're at the point where you're trying to add muscle, so a lot of reps are going to help you to grow but heavy weights are going to help you feel comfortable with heavier weights in the future. This should accomplish both.

^^^This!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #228
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post

135x5
185x4
225x3
275x3
295x2x5
225x5x5

Ahh I want to do this but your squat program is messing with that. Soon enough I guess.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #229
dabears

Alright boys I'll give it a shot, I'm hoping I prove myself wrong with where my endurance level is at.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #230
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Alright boys I'll give it a shot, I'm hoping I prove myself wrong with where my endurance level is at.
Don't you play hockey or something? I'm surprised that you're having endurance issues so early in the weight lifting game.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #231
dabears

Quote:
Don't you play hockey or something? I'm surprised that you're having endurance issues so early in the weight lifting game.
Yeah definitely do, I find its just with deadlifting... I get dizzy and completely gassed after only one or two heavy sets its ridiculous.

Going to give glights routine a shot with max effort... I'm hoping I can do it, maybe I'll realize its in my head.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #232
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Yeah definitely do, I find its just with deadlifting... I get dizzy and completely gassed after only one or two heavy sets its ridiculous.

Going to give glights routine a shot with max effort... I'm hoping I can do it, maybe I'll realize its in my head.
Maybe you should rest more between sets to get your reps in. Get creative!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #233
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
I love deadlifts. I'm finally back over 500.
Took forever to get the courage after my hernia

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #234
dabears

Do you know what caused it directly? I've tweaked my lower back before doing deadlifts (my form is 200% better now) and the scare of a hernia is always there as I continuously move up in weight.

Hopefully you stick around the H&F forum Donald, you know your stuff / have the results.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #235
dabears

Quote:
Maybe you should rest more between sets to get your reps in. Get creative!
Im determined to get it don't worry... needed the challenge thanks.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #236
dabears

Curious question too...

When lifting heavy, you are more likely to take longer (at least I am) with each rep. Using bench for example, if I put up 135 x 10 I can do explosive reps where total TUT is 1-2 seconds, but when I bench 170 x 5 its somewhere in the 8-10 second range, especially when pushing (I control the weight down and then it takes me a good 5-6 seconds to get it back up, especially on last reps).

Are you still achieving adequate TUT for growth, or is it more "volume" (set # x rep #) related
Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #237
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Curious question too...

When lifting heavy, you are more likely to take longer (at least I am) with each rep. Using bench for example, if I put up 135 x 10 I can do explosive reps where total TUT is 1-2 seconds, but when I bench 170 x 5 its somewhere in the 8-10 second range, especially when pushing (I control the weight down and then it takes me a good 5-6 seconds to get it back up, especially on last reps).

Are you still achieving adequate TUT for growth, or is it more "volume" (set # x rep #) related

It depends. The bench is an explosive/power movement (..or rather, it should be if you're performing it correctly). A rep on my heavy set may take me slightly longer than a light/moderate weight set, but the overall time is not significant because my heavy sets have less reps. In theory, if it's taking me 5-6 seconds to get the weight up, I'm dropping the weight. Volume and TUT mean the same thing to me.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-07-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360266166
Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #238
DylloS

Quote:
Curious question too...

I think you may be over estimating the time on the heavy lifts. I know I've rarely ever seen anyone take 8-10 seconds for a single rep. That's almost a minute of benching at 5 reps. I know 8 seconds doesnt sound like a lot but I just counted in my head and it seems like there is no way my regular heavy sets are that long. If they were they'd have to be negatives. It is slower but it's not nearly that slow. But I do see what you're saying. It may be similar in terms of TUT.

This is my max Press and it's still only 2.5-3 seconds long.

Same as my front squat

If these took me 8 seconds I'd definitely fail.

Last edited by DylloS; 02-07-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #239
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I think you may be over estimating the time on the heavy lifts. I know I've rarely ever seen anyone take 8-10 seconds for a single rep. That's almost a minute of benching at 5 reps. I know 8 seconds doesnt sound like a lot but I just counted in my head and it seems like there is no way my regular heavy sets are that long. If they were they'd have to be negatives. It is slower but it's not nearly that slow. But I do see what you're saying. It may be similar in terms of TUT.

I think that reference was for the entire set, not the rep itself.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #240
dabears

No I meant what solly was referring to, but after reading your guys responses I'm definitely overestimating the difference. A couple seconds may add up over time, but with the less sets you are correct. Splitting hairs is my conclusion! Was curious anyways... I did more reading on TUT and heavy lifting for strength, and considering my goals are to add size over strength at the moment... maximizing TUT is what I have to do.

I also realize that I don't have a problem doing tons of sets, but where I start to want to go home from gym is when I'm finished an exercise and realize I still have 4 more exercises to do... regardless of sets.

So I think for me minimizing exercises and increasing sets is the way to go