E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
AC Yate

My Ride: BMW E46
Advice needed for brake pads

Looking for some brake pads to put on an e46 323i. I just went to BMWParts.com and there a few brands (OPParts, Meyle, Textar to name a few) that are available ranging from around $15-$35 a pair. Are there any that I should absolutely stay away from? I know you get what you pay for but I don't plan on having the car around much longer and I hardly drive it as is.
AC Yate is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Asantoni

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
I have had good luck with Wagner Thermoquiet Semi Metallic pads (around 32 from Amazon). Stay away from Ceramic pads, IMO they are junk and thus why the European auto makers are still using semi metallic compounds even though it makes for some dirty rims.
2004 325CI
2000 Suburban LT 4X4
2012 Jayco Featherlight trailer

"It's good to be important but it's more important to be good"
Asantoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
AC Yate

My Ride: BMW E46
Thanks. What's bad about ceramic pads? They don't last?
AC Yate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Asantoni

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
There is nothing necessarily wrong with ceramic pads other than they tend to cost more and their initial bite is not as strong as I like it to be. I used ceramics on trucks primary used for towing and found out that they beat up the rotors very quickly. Another difference I experienced is the initial brake bite on the pad, specially when cold is better on semi metallic pads. I have a 5000lbs Suburban that I use to tow a 5000 lbs travel trailer. My braking performance has been vastly superior with semi metallic pads. Most people buy ceramic pads because the dust is lighter in color and not nearly as sticky as semi metallic pad dust. I usually wash my wheels on weekends so the dark brake dust generated by the semi metallic pads is a non issue for me. One big complaint about semi metallic pads is brake noise, ceramic pads vibrate (make noise) too when braking but vibrate at a frequency that is higher than human hearing. I found that properly bedding the pads when 1st installed is key with noise. All 3 of my vehicles have semi metallic compounds on them and we experience no brake noise. There is lots of contradictory advise on the web. I do also know that semi metallic pads pull some of the heat away from the rotor during high temp braking whereas ceramics do not draw as much heat out. If you are selling the car, it almost should not matter, any pad will stop the car. The question is how effectively. I just bought a 2004 3 series and the first thing I did was replace pads and rotors, mostly because they did not have that BMW brake "feel". This was more pronounced when brakes where cold. Hope this helps and wish this does not turn into a ceramic vs. semi metallic thread (already too many of those). Everyone has an opinion and a different set of evaluating criteria. I just provided you with mine. Good luck.
2004 325CI
2000 Suburban LT 4X4
2012 Jayco Featherlight trailer

"It's good to be important but it's more important to be good"
Asantoni is offline   Reply With Quote