E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Afrosheen

My Ride: 2005 325i
Question What should I be aware of before starting my first brake pad change?

I'm going to be initiating my first brake pad change and I'm wondering what things other people who did this themselves wished to have thought of before they started the project?

• I'm driving a 2005 325i with 99,800 miles on it.
• I'm going to install Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Brake Pad 0558.20 for the front wheels.
• My father replaced the rear pads with Duralast pads at $50 which he says has lifetime warranty on them. I don't particularly trust them — probably replace them some time after I replace the front pads.
• Do I need to purchase new brake sensors each time I buy new brake pads, or can I reuse the ones that are on there? My father didn't regard this when he replaced the rear pads and the brake light was still on. Don't know whether it was because he wasn't aware of knowing how to properly reconnect them or whether the light is for the front.
• Anything else that I'm not thinking about but should be aware of before I buy and install the brake pads?

Thanks for the consideration.
Afrosheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Mflara20

My Ride: 2002 330xi
It's pretty straight forward of you DYI inclined. You need to buy new sensor wires if you want the brake dash light to go off an really tell you when you need new pads.
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Unforgivable818

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Unforgivable818 Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgivable818 Send a message via Skype™ to Unforgivable818
If it's not too late, try to exchange those PFC Carbon Metallics for the Z-Rated version. Trust me on this one. What type of rotors will you use? Brembo blanks got chewed up by the Z-Rated pads so choose wisely!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Brake pads are an easy DIY. If the pad sensor caused the SEL light to come on, it's toast. Replace it. If you check your pads regularly, and don't need a sensor to tell you it's time, plug it in but wire it back away from the caliper and you'll never have to replace it again. Replace the one your father left in as well.

Also, replace the rotors when you do the pads. They are cheap. If you are going to start running metallic pads, you'll have to replace them with the pads anyway.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
If you got a warning light then the sensor must be replaced. From the sounds of what you wrote, you need to replace the rear sensor anyway. You might as well get two (one front, one rear). The way the sensors works is that when they contact the rotor (i.e. your pads are worn) the sensor wears away and triggers the light. They can be re-used only if this has not happened and they are in good working condition.
What condition are the rotors in?
Read thru the DIY's on this. It's a straight-forward job to do.
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Afrosheen

My Ride: 2005 325i
Thanks for the input guys. This has helped me a lot. But in regards to the rotors, how necessary is it to get new ones? They were replaced through the dealer when the car still had warranty in the middle of 2011. I'm thinking of buying the pads first then when installing them I'll inspect the rotors. But looking at them through the wheel, they still look pretty good.
Afrosheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Buy a tool for compressing the caliper pistons. Don't use a C clamp or Channel locks to compress the piston. You can get the piston cocked, and damage the bore, or the piston ring. Do it the right way, with the right tool. It is also much easier with the correct tool. They run from simple, to somewhat complex sets that work on most models of cars. Even a simple screw type is better than winging it.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 02-07-2013 at 12:11 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
^ Any type of lever is fine so long as you're not being dumb with placement.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
heechkass

My Ride: 323i Touring, 2000
Since you're a newb on this....which light is on? brake light or brake sensor light? They are two different things.

Also since you may have close to 100000 miles on these rotors, you most likely should replace them.

Also replace the guide pin bushings. And the anti rattle clip.

Make sure you clean caliper slide thoroughly before installing new parts. Use brake grease on metal on metal parts.
heechkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
My favorite DIY, 'cause you get to work sitting down.

I've done a lot of brake jobs w/out a compression tool for the calipers as well, but there's nothing dumb about having appropriate tools for the job.

Have fun.

And be careful, 'cause if you f it up, you will die.

Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Compress the caliper using the old pad and a c clamp.... works fine.
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrosheen View Post
Thanks for the input guys. This has helped me a lot. But in regards to the rotors, how necessary is it to get new ones? They were replaced through the dealer when the car still had warranty in the middle of 2011. I'm thinking of buying the pads first then when installing them I'll inspect the rotors. But looking at them through the wheel, they still look pretty good.
Id never pad slap rotors on a car i cared about.
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Advice - I didn't see it brought up yet, regardless of what pads you go with BED the brakes after you get the job done. It's a process that deposits brake pad material into the metal in the rotor from repeated braking while the rotors get ultra hot. It makes for very smooth consistent braking down the road.

Search, there are some very good articles that explain the process in detail. It's worth the time to look it up believe me.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
^ Any type of lever is fine so long as you're not being dumb with placement.
That is fine, if you know exactly how to do it. For someone asking for advice on how to do a brake job, then the right tool is better.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote