E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #61
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Looking good
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #62
lutzperformance
Lutz Performance-FL BMW F/I

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3, 04 Z06
Send a message via AIM to lutzperformance
Thank you guys, exhaust is almost done
lutzperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #63
e60fan

My Ride: 525i
Nice work!
About MS45 builtin torque control - it's true. When calculated TQ exceeds stock DME goes in limp mode. I checked this myself on M54B25 with B30 head + intake + exhaust and tune attempt by me. When bhp exceeds stock its OK but if TQ more than stock DME goes in limp mode. Because of this I'm thinking about Pro48 (no knock control, but budget) or AEM or MS3 + stock DME and Parallel ECU mode...

Good question was about what to do with non availablity injectors and coils at stock DME after rewiring to aftermarket ECU? Or stock DME will be happy with this by default?
e60fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #64
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
Sexy build, good luck with it
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #65
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
OP look sick! Can't wait to see results. Not sure if I missed this or not OPN? And the fixed harmonics of the crank issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60fan View Post
Nice work!
About MS45 builtin torque control - it's true. When calculated TQ exceeds stock DME goes in limp mode. I checked this myself on M54B25 with B30 head + intake + exhaust and tune attempt by me. When bhp exceeds stock its OK but if TQ more than stock DME goes in limp mode. Because of this I'm thinking about Pro48 (no knock control, but budget) or AEM or MS3 + stock DME and Parallel ECU mode...

Good question was about what to do with non availablity injectors and coils at stock DME after rewiring to aftermarket ECU? Or stock DME will be happy with this by default?
Should post up a new thread about this. I am plan to run a PiggyBack Stand-Alone system if I can't get my car tuned correctly...

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 02-10-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #66
e60fan

My Ride: 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Should post up a new thread about this. I am plan to run a PiggyBack Stand-Alone system if I can't get my car tuned correctly...
Done...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=970357
e60fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #67
A4RingedONE8T

My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
Exhaust done, wheels mounted, hotside charge pipe complete

Old 02-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #68
GGray

My Ride: 01 325it Wagonator
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60fan View Post
Nice work!

If your having problems like above.. You need to stop trying to tune it yourself...

Aftermarket ECU's tend to not work well with the rest of the E46. CAN-BUS needs to have CAN-BUS to communicate with. Cheap ECU's normally don't have it. The BMW ECU is very tunable you just have to know how...

88 E30M3 turbo race/track car
89 M3 restore project
92 Gti 8V
01 325it five speed daily/track AKA: Wagonator.

If you can take it apart you can make it faster
GGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #69
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGray View Post
If your having problems like above.. You need to stop trying to tune it yourself...

Aftermarket ECU's tend to not work well with the rest of the E46. CAN-BUS needs to have CAN-BUS to communicate with. Cheap ECU's normally don't have it. The BMW ECU is very tunable you just have to know how...
LMK when u an Expert in MS45 DME's...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #70
AMG-ETR
///AMG ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Looking good so far

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #71
GGray

My Ride: 01 325it Wagonator
Quote:

I know who to contact to do my tuning... And I know how CAN-BUS works.. Meaning you cannot just slap an aftermarket ECU, or piggy back in the E46 without a boat load of problems from the other systems that tie into the ECU and communicate with each other... EWS, ABS, traction control,etc... if not happy it will send the E46 into limp mode, or even a no crank situation if EWS is not happy.

88 E30M3 turbo race/track car
89 M3 restore project
92 Gti 8V
01 325it five speed daily/track AKA: Wagonator.

If you can take it apart you can make it faster
GGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #72
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGray View Post
I know who to contact to do my tuning... And I know how CAN-BUS works.. Meaning you cannot just slap an aftermarket ECU, or piggy back in the E46 without a boat load of problems from the other systems that tie into the ECU and communicate with each other... EWS, ABS, traction control,etc... if not happy it will send the E46 into limp mode, or even a no crank situation if EWS is not happy.
I have the latest firmware Unichip Q+.
I can control fuel/timing (retard,advance), DISA, DBW and so far no issue with intake cam timing. Unichip can tap into CAN BUS too for things like speed limiters, rpm limiters or sometimes torque control.
luckily for the MS45 torque control comes by the way of throttle actuation. DBW on the MS45 is easier to control then cars that use the 300mV - 2.6V feedback signals. MS45 uses 500mV - 4.5V feedback signals.

No issues here after so much experimentation the past few months.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #73
A4RingedONE8T

Hot side piping complete w/ Tial Q BOV

Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #74
TrippinBimmer

Any reason why having the BOV so far away from the manifold? (Long Vacuum Line = delay responds?) Other then that Sick Setup so far!!!

I also noticed No MAF Alpha-N tuning!?!

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 02-12-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #75
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
i'd be very wary about that Level 10 transmission. terrible track record...
BS! or should i say that is simply not true.

I had a Level10 Tranny custom built for a Subaru SVX Back in 99'. 1st they've built and it was truly "Bullet proof"

back then, after mine they sold 4 more and they ALL performed beyond expectation.

i have since left the subaru scene obviously but i beg to differ. level10 is one of the best in this country.

track record, they build transmissions for our military special ops vehicles.

But to not go too far off Topic this does Look S!CK!!!

In for dyno and road video of it in Action!
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953

Last edited by lrinco01; 02-13-2013 at 04:33 AM.
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #76
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Looking good Shawn!

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #77
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Any reason why having the BOV so far away from the manifold? (Long Vacuum Line = delay responds?) Other then that Sick Setup so far!!!

It's not that far away from the manifold, by the looks of it it's placed infront of the drivers-side front wheel.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #78
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTurbo View Post
It's not that far away from the manifold, by the looks of it it's placed infront of the drivers-side front wheel.
Technically, I'd put the BOV as close to the compressor as possible...at least that's what all the motorsport engineers do. Why bother pumping all that air through the intercooler, adding more heat to cooling element, only to blow it off to atmosphere?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #79
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Technically, I'd put the BOV as close to the compressor as possible...at least that's what all the motorsport engineers do. Why bother pumping all that air through the intercooler, adding more heat to cooling element, only to blow it off to atmosphere?
I get your point
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #80
A4RingedONE8T

Quote:

Tial uses a pretty large vac line compared to what's really needed. I've put Tial valves all over the place all with different length vac lines and none have ever shown any delayed response. The one on my car is probably the longest/furthest I have done and still no issues

I put the BOV where it is just for best fitment, no other reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Quote:
I get your point
BOV can be placed a variety of places to alter the performance of the setup. Closest to the turbo is best for the turbo because it's instantly venting any pressure from coming back at the turbo causing compressor surge. Close to the turbo also creates the most lag as it is completely venting any positive pressure from the source and will cause the most lag between shifts. Primarily as it has to completely "refill" the desired boost before the pull starts again in the next gear. Moving the BOV away from the turbo lessens the amount of lag because it is keeping some positive pressure on the turbo side of the system. Most of the time I go for where works best with what's going on with that particular setup. I chose the location on this car for ease of fitment, clearance with fog lights, lack of clearance on the hot side because of turbo placement, and also far enough away from the blow through MAF that will be in the straight piece of pipe directly before the throttle body.