E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
littledawg

My Ride: 2000 323i
What front struts to go with 2000 323I E46

Hey guys what's up. I'm in the market for new struts in the front on my beamer. I don't want to go with the oem for like 275 a piece, i just don't have that cash flow. Can you guys recommend some good struts to go with that wont break the bank and won't totally suck ans will be redoing in 50000 miles. My budget would be around 150$ per shock, unless you think a cheaper one is as same quality. Remember i do want quality and something to last but just not $900 for two shocks and installation. thanks in advance and let me know what you think. Any thing else i should be considering doing around this time either? I have 125000 and just redid trans, control arms ,bushings, thermostat and a few other little things. I think i might need a wheel bearing in front left bc of sound i have coming from that area sounds like a rock is stuck in wheel but its not a rock obviously. Not sure it tire is just shot or the struts could cause this problem. Please let me know ASAP need to get this done. Thanks everyone in advance.
littledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
330i4me

My Ride: 01 330i
check tirerack.com
330i4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
You can by Monroe on Amazon or Advance auto parts for about $75 each. I have been satisfied with the ride. I compared Monroe shocks to Sachs $160 shocks and did not see any difference. Monroe ate also lifetime at Advance.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Bilstein Touring is $319 for all 4. Have them on my 323 and they are great.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
littledawg

ryannel2003

Nice where did you buy them? I do mostly highway so would these be good for that? How many miles have you had on them?

Last edited by littledawg; 01-28-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
littledawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
You can by Monroe on Amazon or Advance auto parts for about $75 each. I have been satisfied with the ride. I compared Monroe shocks to Sachs $160 shocks and did not see any difference. Monroe ate also lifetime at Advance.
How long have you been riding with them? milage wise?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
littledawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
Bilstein Touring is $319 for all 4. Have them on my 323 and they are great.
Nice where did you buy them? I do mostly highway so would these be good for that? How many miles have you had on them?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
ryannel2003

Bought them from eShocks.com. I've put about 2k miles on them so far and have enjoyed the noticeable difference in comfort. Bumps that used to rattle inside the cabin no longer exist and I don't have any strange noises coming from the front either.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
littledawg

Quote:
Bought them from eShocks.com. I've put about 2k miles on them so far and have enjoyed the noticeable difference in comfort. Bumps that used to rattle inside the cabin no longer exist and I don't have any strange noises coming from the front either.
Just ordered touring fronts for 200$ total.i hope they ride real nice and get rid of that thumpimg sound I have coming from left front wheel,you ever had this problem? I'm starting to think sway bars links or sway bar bushing but my mechanic just told me it was the wheels old out of shape dry rot....I have no idea but the struts are on way and I'll let you know how I like them after they are installed in next couple of weeks. Thanks for the info about the touring ,I hope I like them....
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Make sure you replace your strut mounts too.

You also have to grease the new strut mount bearings after they are installed too.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
littledawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Make sure you replace your strut mounts too.

You also have to grease the new strut mount bearings after they are installed too.
Ok cool,just picked up a pair. What do you think about sway bar links,it's like we're do you stop when doing suspension work. I have previously done control arms and bushings. I still have this thumpimg sound coming from right front though...
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Passnu2

My Ride: Sport Wagon
since you did the other stuff I would do the end links and swaybar bushings then your front is done. that clunk could be a bad swaybar bushing.

Recent Maintenance: Spark Plugs/CCV/Expansion Tank/Radiator/Thermostat/Both Intake Boots/Air Filter/Cabin Filter/Valve Cover Gasket/Control Arm Bushings/All Pulleys/Hatch Shocks/Vanos Oil Line/Fuel Pump/Fuel Pressure Regulator/Rear Rotors & Pads/Belts/Water Hoses/Front End Links/Front Sway Bar Bushings/Alternator/Power Steering Hoses/Power Steering Reservoir.
Passnu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
littledawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passnu2 View Post
since you did the other stuff I would do the end links and swaybar bushings then your front is done. that clunk could be a bad swaybar bushing.
Yeah I think I will do them. Do you know how much more labor the sway bar bushing would be? it's pretty simple job from what I've heard. The sound I have is more of a thumpimg sound but I'm hoping it lies somewhere in the parts I will be changing .
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
Passnu2

Its an easy DIY. jack up the front and take off both front tires and the endlinks are right there, the bushings are just a tad bit further in. I just did my Control Arm Bushings along with these and all were easy IMO. Amazed with how well the car drove today. I had a a noise on the passenger side that I thought was the sway bar but since I replaced everything it went away. I also converted to the powerflex bushings for the control arms and the swaybar and glad I did. I was a bit worried about ride quality but given the crappy roads in Chicago with the winter I couldn't be happier. Next I plan to do the same with the rear bushings.

You asked about suspension, I can't say how well the ride quality is, but have you considered Suspension Techniques? I was considering this as an option when I tackle this. Normally I would do coils on a car but I picked this car up cheap and given its age/worth I just can't see dumping money towards a nice set of coils. If your interested PM me I can put you in contact with the guy I have been working with. Best price I have found so far and it was only $379 shipped (that's for all 4)

Recent Maintenance: Spark Plugs/CCV/Expansion Tank/Radiator/Thermostat/Both Intake Boots/Air Filter/Cabin Filter/Valve Cover Gasket/Control Arm Bushings/All Pulleys/Hatch Shocks/Vanos Oil Line/Fuel Pump/Fuel Pressure Regulator/Rear Rotors & Pads/Belts/Water Hoses/Front End Links/Front Sway Bar Bushings/Alternator/Power Steering Hoses/Power Steering Reservoir.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
littledawg

Quote:
Its an easy DIY. jack up the front and take off both front tires and the endlinks are right there, the bushings are just a tad bit further in. I just did my Control Arm Bushings along with these and all were easy IMO. Amazed with how well the car drove today. I had a a noise on the passenger side that I thought was the sway bar but since I replaced everything it went away. I also converted to the powerflex bushings for the control arms and the swaybar and glad I did. I was a bit worried about ride quality but given the crappy roads in Chicago with the winter I couldn't be happier. Next I plan to do the same with the rear bushings.

You asked about suspension, I can't say how well the ride quality is, but have you considered Suspension Techniques? I was considering this as an option when I tackle this. Normally I would do coils on a car but I picked this car up cheap and given its age/worth I just can't see dumping money towards a nice set of coils. If your interested PM me I can put you in contact with the guy I have been working with. Best price I have found so far and it was only $379 shipped (that's for all 4)
No coil over for me thanks for the offer though. I will do sway bar links and bushings along with the struts and I'll report back to everyone. Thanks for all the info
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Passnu2

your welcome, there not coils but replacement struts. that cost is for all 4 (front and rear)

link

Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
littledawg

Quote:
your welcome, there not coils but replacement struts. that cost is for all 4 (front and rear)

link
Oh ok I bought bilstein tourings already, thanks again though.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
littledawg

UPDATE, Replaced shocks with Bilstein Touring and they are really nice. Also had the mounts,end links and sway bar bushings changed. Car is running great. Still have the thumping coming from what feels like by the gas pedal area and a smell of burning rubber coming from the under hood up by windshield wipers. Any body have any clue on what is located under the floor board by gas and brake pedal that could cause this thumping sound i have. It doesn't effect steering either. What could it be?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
ryannel2003

Burning smell is most likely your valve cover gasket. Buy OEM only for this part; I replaced mine with the Victor Reinz 6 months ago and it's starting to weep a little bit. Not sure about the thumping... how are your control arm bushings looking?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
littledawg

Quote:
Burning smell is most likely your valve cover gasket. Buy OEM only for this part; I replaced mine with the Victor Reinz 6 months ago and it's starting to weep a little bit. Not sure about the thumping... how are your control arm bushings looking?
control arm bushings replaced about 6 months ago along with control arms so with the stuff i did today the front end is pretty much new again. Valve cover is definitely leaking that is the next thing to do. Will go with factory, thanks. This thumping sound is driving me crazy.....It sounds like something is stuck in tire but its down by my feet. The faster i go the faster the sound goes and the slower, you get the point.