E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
danglerose

My Ride: 2004 330 cic
Send a message via MSN to danglerose
AAC stage 2 pinging after 5,000 miles

I have a curiouser problem happening with my 2004 330ci vert. She ran just dandy for 5k and since then she has developed a bit of a pinging problem. I have thrown up to three octane boosters in per fill up to now avail. What so matter?
Aftermarket M3 power/fold mirrors with signals
Pioneer AVIC N4 DVD/NAV, bluetooth, XM, HD

DIY VDO Gauge cluster, autodim homelink rearview, LeatherZ illuminated Shift, BMW OEM Alarm Retrofit, Hard Top anchors, Alcantra shift and brake boots, Alcantra M3 steering wheel, BMW OEM Aluminum Pedal upgrade, BMW OEM Hardtop mount with Anthracite Hardtop, M3 spoiler
danglerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
What kit do u have? I looked up ur previous thread it say AAW then AA so I'm not sure what kit you have.

Where does the Pinging Happens? AFR? and at what boost psi?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
SweTurbo
Banned User

My Ride: 323i -98
When my engine started to ping it was already to late , oilring on atleast one pistons failed causing oil to enter the combustion chamberand detonating even further.

Only 1 of my 6 pistons were re-usable(i wasnt going to reuse it anyway)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Zak@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: '94 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshzhp View Post
Good thing I know what I am talking about....gotta love AA Stage 2 kit.

Dont worries full details are coming.
What's the deal?

To the OP, what kind of supercharger kit do you have? What conditions does this happen?

Software Engineer
www.activeautowerke.com

Last edited by Zak@ActiveAutowerke; 02-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Zak@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
danglerose

It is an Active Autowerkes stage 2 VS3. The pinging happens mostly under load. I will send the AFR when I check it this afternoon. I actually have the gauge to do just that.

DIY VDO Gauge cluster, autodim homelink rearview, LeatherZ illuminated Shift, BMW OEM Alarm Retrofit, Hard Top anchors, Alcantra shift and brake boots, Alcantra M3 steering wheel, BMW OEM Aluminum Pedal upgrade, BMW OEM Hardtop mount with Anthracite Hardtop, M3 spoiler
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
What is VS3? First time hearing that. Keep us posted....
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
danglerose

Version 3

Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Junior2552

My Ride: 2005 ZHP
Running leannnn?
Junior2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
danglerose

The pinging sounds almost like a very quiet diesel, it occurs regardless of boost range and is most pronounced at 14.5 AFR, and while at low rpms under load

Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
Its not detonation (pinging) you are hearing if its under low load unless you filled up with pond water. Maybe pre-det if your timing somehow go super advanced, but that's also unlikely.

Last edited by str8dum1; 02-06-2013 at 12:56 PM.
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Zak@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Can you E-Mail me the serial number of the supercharger as well as a quick shot of the engine bay?

zak@activeautowerke.com

Software Engineer
www.activeautowerke.com

Last edited by Zak@ActiveAutowerke; 02-06-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360177033
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Junior2552

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglerose View Post
The pinging sounds almost like a very quiet diesel, it occurs regardless of boost range and is most pronounced at 14.5 AFR, and while at low rpms under load
Under a load, your AFRs should never be in the 14s. I don't care what anybody else says. You don't want to run crazy rich, but you shouldn't be in the 14s unless you're cruising or idling...

If you're under any sort of boost, that motor should be dumping fuel to compensate for the extra air moving through it. If you're not familiar with AFRs (which you seem to understand..) google it and see how a boosted motor's AFR curve should look.

PS: Diesel M54 ftw??

Last edited by Junior2552; 02-06-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Junior2552

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
Its not detonation (pinging) you are hearing if its under low load unless you filled up with pond water. Maybe pre-det if your timing somehow go super advanced, but that's also unlikely.
I'm sure his timing is all sorts of fukced up with AFRs being in the 14s under load. Bye motor.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
low rpms on supercharger means low/no boost and low power....

he never said his AFR under boost was 14.5. He said the noise is worse at 14.5 AND (different condition) low rpms under load.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Junior2552

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
low rpms on supercharger means low/no boost and low power....

he never said his AFR under boost was 14.5. He said the noise is worse at 14.5 AND (different condition) low rpms under load.
Yes, and that's what I responded to. My comment about boost was in a separate sentence because it was just an informative interjection. I appreciate the lesson in reading..

Regardless of supercharger, under any LOAD...not BOOST... the AFRs should initially dip before they even out for cruising. Any amount of load will do that. Any wideband O2 will show that. I'm not making it up... lol
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
Zak@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior2552 View Post
I'm sure his timing is all sorts of fukced up with AFRs being in the 14s under load. Bye motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior2552 View Post
Yes, and that's what I responded to. My comment about boost was in a separate sentence because it was just an informative interjection. I appreciate the lesson in reading..

Regardless of supercharger, under any LOAD...not BOOST... the AFRs should initially dip before they even out for cruising. Any amount of load will do that. Any wideband O2 will show that. I'm not making it up... lol
Please stop posting misinformation.

Target AFR varies greatly between each car/motor. If you notice the 335i will stay 14:1 AFR WOT with full boost until about 4500rpm. That isn't to say that a non-direct injected motor could do that, but don't make blanket statements like that.

Most every motor in the E46 chassis does not start to get "rich" until fairly high up in the RPM range. Cars do not need to run as rich as you think they do as long as they are properly tuned and supported by safety measures of modern ECU technology.

Software Engineer
www.activeautowerke.com
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Junior2552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Please stop posting misinformation.

Target AFR varies greatly between each car/motor. If you notice the 335i will stay 14:1 AFR WOT with full boost until about 4500rpm. That isn't to say that a non-direct injected motor could do that, but don't make blanket statements like that.

Most every motor in the E46 chassis does not start to get "rich" until fairly high up in the RPM range. Cars do not need to run as rich as you think they do as long as they are properly tuned and supported by safety measures of modern ECU technology.
With all due respect, Zak: These multiple threads posted about your product detonating motors gives me reason to believe that my information is NOT incorrect.

I'm not saying you're the reason it's happening, but other people are. I use your products with pride. My car was tuned by you guys, and I have nothing but good things to say about you guys.

That being said, the 335i runs at 14.1 at WOT until 4500.. Okay, but tuned on alternative software, with more aggressive timing, bolt-ons, etc., it runs in the 12s...I know this for a fact. Cars don't need to run RICH in the high RPMs, but maybe your tunes are a bit too aggressive for some people's cars. That's all I'm saying. So my information is not wrong. Does it apply directly to you? I suppose not. But it's definitely NOT wrong...

Edit: This is the type of review your product gets, Zak;

"I have a stage two as well, bought used here, I have only called them once, didn't get a good vibe from them and after reading some threads here decided to do my own tuning, seems I made the right choice... for a company that charges so much you would think they would have a better understanding of these cars."

"That AFR is targeting stoich! lol. Thanks for coming out...vendor needs to step up their tuning game...iirc they had a new tuner at AA?"

"I also understand the MS45 is difficult to tune but the kit is being sold and is causing damage to customers not aware of this fact."

"Exactly, if you're not sure you can do something don't claim to be able to do it."

These are the things being said about AA about THIS SPECIFIC PRODUCT. My information is not "misinformation," Zak... Until this problem is fixed, I'd appreciate not being called out.

Last edited by Junior2552; 02-07-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
Junior2552

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...4#post15140044
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #19
danglerose

Errr..had the car checked out and the "pinging" was not pinging but something else in the pulleys that sounds like marbles. It does not effect performance one iota. It is a purely mechanical noise, not a detonation of any sort. Unfortunately the shop close to me won't touch anything to do with the SC system. I will have to go to the shop that did the install to get it sorted. Good to know that my engine is in no danger of blowing up. PHEW
!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
danglerose

BTW, I completely dusted a 335 multiple times last night. He was pretty confused.