E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
fred4man

My Ride: 330Ci
GLHX

I've been doing a lot of reading on this -

1) Another fellow said he re-coded with NCS Expert and solved the problem

2) The first fellow in this thread said he soldered some loose connections.

My problem was intermittant at first and now constant. This symptom is consistant with a loose solder joint. I don't have NCS Expert, only BMW Scan (PA Soft) which posters say will not re-code this Module.

So it soulnds like we have a couple of failure modes for the ATE Mk60!

Did you ever get any info on re-coding the ABS Module to solve the 5DF5 fault?

I would like to try that before checking my circuit board for cracked joints (done that before on computers).
fred4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Yes.....in another thread a guy said he recoded with NSC expert. He sent me a link of the connector he used. So far after many hours researching the coding of this module...he is the only one I saw that was definetly yes to the coding of used modules.

I've never heard of badly soldered boards for this module. I called every module repai shop I could find in the world. Most of them told me no....one told me why it was no. They said it was a software problem and not a mechanical problem. The software gets corrupt somehow. I don't know if this is true or not. Tell me more of this soldering issue. If urn interested I will show you the thread where he told me how to replace it with used module and NSC expert.

Also...this mk60 was put on multiple German cars....and they all have this problem.

If you find a fix...don't forget to post it or message me. Been working on this for a while now.
NSC expert seems complicated to get installed. I have not tried yet though

Last edited by glhx; 12-05-2012 at 09:11 PM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
A.J.C.

My Ride: 1999 325i
Do you have a better picture of where you resoldered? My ABS/Traction lights have been intermittently going on and off for a year and it drives me nuts.
A.J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #24
fred4man

AJC,

Go back to the top of this thread, the first fellow has the photos as 3 attachments.

Fred
Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
fred4man

I'm shortly due for my state auto inspection and started looking at solutions to this problem. Found the following -

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=7414

Seems the Volvos use the Teves ABS unit as well. This link is to a VERY common problem with this ABS unit. It has loose solder joints as first described in this thread. It seems to be well known to them & well discussed, on how to fix it.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
glhx

I will look into that ASAP. Thank for the info. This has been driving me nuts. It's got the 5df5 internal failure.....which is a bad computer board
Old 02-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
fred4man

I found an outfit BBA-Reman in Taunton Mass. that rebuilds ABS electronic modules. Their home office is in the Netherlands and they have several facilities in Europe where they rebuild all sorts of electronic units. They will rebuild yours for $250.

Mine had the "Trifecta of lights" and the "5DF5 - Control unit internal malfunction" trouble code when using PASoft to interrogate the system.

I installed, today, the rebuilt one from BBA and they said that I would have to be reprogrammed for my vehicle. Well, just as they said when scanning with PASoft I get "5E1F - PT-CAN chassis number wrong/ ECU not installed"

Does any one have information on how to "reprogram" or "initialize" my ABS ECU for my vehicle? My searches do not come up with any information.

Thanks, Fred
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #28
glhx

The pictures at the top of this thread dont say what that module is. A lot of modules can be resoldered. no on has any infor on our ate teves mk60 yet. that could be a volvo module for all we know...or it could be ours.....ill pm him and ask him what it is....If i can resolder my own module i wont think twice....never really taken it out to look at it.

I talked to BBA today and they said that rebuild was hit and miss. they have been doing r&d on that module for only a month and the results are.....some work....some dont.

what should happen.....is that you send them your module which is coded to the vin number on your car.....

they send you back YOUR MODULE.....and you install YOUR MODULE. The computer sees your module like a long lost friend and welcomes it back with no trouble

Now lets say i was to get a good used module from ebay. I put it in and the computer says......i dont know you. the modules vin doesnt match the vin for your car.....its some other cars vin.....

the computer says..since i dont know you! i wont work with you until i do know you

you then go into that module and recode the module. you basically change the vin to do so. the computer sees the vin to match and will work with the module.

when you buy a new board for your module....the computer sees that there is no vin assigned to it. the computer then assigns a vin to it and will work with it.

So how to you recode a used module or a module your car doesnt recognize. you use ncs expert with a vag com cable. To get ncs expert to work you also need ediabas which is a program that speaks for ncs expert....kind of like a translator. you get a lap top with a vag com cable and these programs and the process is easy.

I have not done this yet so it is all theory. i will post a thread from someone who has done this.

the VW, Volvo, BMW, audis are all having this problem. I spent a while trying to figure this stuff out.

On another note.....if you sent out your module and they sent it back (and they told me the same thing today that ill tell you) you should not have to do anything but plug it in. I would be on the phone with them asking WTF.thats why you have them work with your module. if you could just recode used ones. why would you need them....used ones cost $125 and should be cheaper because most people cant use them or recode them. Fredman....i know you know a lot of this stuff already. this post was for anyone who doesnt......the third link is your potential solution and mine.....let me know in a pm if you ever get this worked out. I was going to send mine to bba ...maybe....but if they send it back and i have to recode anyway...ill buy used and disect my own to find out what the problem is....if i do ill post a step by step on how bba is fixing them....probably soldering stuff back together

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=867645&page=3

and this

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...441&highlight=

dwoodland talks about the problem......this last link shows his instructions where he fixed the problem and did a step by step on how he did it..and links you to all the tools
he recoded a used module. thats what you have to do....your rebuilt module is acting used....and shouldnt be if it is from your car. If i send mine to them......it will be marked in a way i can recognize it when i get it back

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...699&highlight=

and this is another post of his which might be used.....he only has 5 posts so i dont know if he is around any more.....but he SOLVED THIS PROBLEM

I will also finally put this to rest PA SOFT WILL NOT RECODE AN ABS MODULE. it will code other modules but not the abs module......i wish i knew why. It will code a new module

also....i was looking into something called an eu2 tune....there was talk of someone selling the ncs software on a disk plug and play to do it.........didnt follow up yet but ncs codes modules too......my car has been running stupid lean for a month so im chasing that mess. The eu2 tune flashes dme for no post cat sensor....no SAP pump.....and no catalytic converters....not good if you have to pass emissions.....but great if you dont and your cats go out. or you want to run headers and get more power

Last edited by glhx; 02-11-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
glhx

Quote:
This is one of the problems of the software. You actually have to read in the abs module (I forget exactly how to do this--its been a while) of your old unit while it is in the car.

You then have to save the abs module file, and when you have the new module in the car, you can then write the file you have saved, to the new module. These are options in the PASoft package. It may not work straight away with all modules. I actually had to send them my module file for some modification (I was getting errors) and then used the modified file. That worked...all in all, not terrible easy or intuitive. And if you did not buy a proper version of the software, forget about any real tech support which you may need. I was a little disappointed with this software in that it has some very real limitations and is not a substitute for the actual machines used at the dealership (or even other pro shops really). Hope this helps...
A message I got today. Doesn't specify used module.....but it's something. I think he's saying it will code a new module.....but doesn't RECODE a used one

Last edited by glhx; 02-10-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #30
glhx

see how this is sealed with no bolts on the bottom

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6257030...in/photostream
There are two bolts on the top of the module that go through the hydraulics.
What are those drum pieces in there? do they see brake fluid. Can the module be taken apart without the hydraulics being taken out?

the two bolts that sandwich this thing together.

just a side view of this module confirming the bolt pattern is different than many other modules. a lot of them have 4 bolts. My module for my 2002 330ci looks like this

I dont think this is the same module....but it is very similar. notice the bolt holes on the 4 corners. This is the picture from the first post.

i would like to post photos without having to use links or manage attachments and have the photo right in the post. do i need to use a sig to do that

Last edited by glhx; 03-25-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #31
glhx

VW uses the same one. This VW thread shows the MK60 taken apart. I don't see how you wouldn't be able to take the board case out separately. The top part would have to come off as well. What's in that black dome piece?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=246756&page=2

Last edited by glhx; 03-25-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #32
glhx

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/common-abs...rd-mazda-volvo

A site explaining why the mk60 fails. Internal brake pressure sensor overheats and damages itself. Other vehicles are external brake pressure sensors
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #33
glhx

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=845441

Part numbers