E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #5561
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I got a speeding ticket today for going 65 in a 55 zone. It was a back road (no houses, businesses, etc...) if that's worth anything. CHP pulled me over, told me what he clocked me at, asked for my drivers license, reg, and insurance, wrote me up and was on his way. I don't think he was in the mood to talk - whatever. He said that the ticket is for got 55+ (vs the actual speed). Is that better?

I'm thinking about going to court and ask for a reduction. I think that's reasonable. Thoughts?
Hmmm I feel your leaving something out. Like maybe you were going 72mph and he was generous and wrote it for 65? I have never seen or heard of a cop giving a ticket for 65 in a 55. I'm sure it's happened... But extremely unlikely.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #5562
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
So what do you think is highest speed one might be able to pass a highway patrol officer without being pulled over? I drive 60 miles to school everyday (round trip where the speed limit is always 70,) and usually set cruise control at about 78 or 79. I've passed a cop who was gunning people at 75 and he didn't do anything. My dad says that if you're not going 80 in a 70 then they most likely won't pull you over. Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #5563
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
My suggestion is to leave early and drive the speed limit. That way you'll never have an issue!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #5564
2000beamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTL1098 View Post
My suggestion is to leave early and drive the speed limit. That way you'll never have an issue!
Realistically though, there's not always enough time to drive the speed limit. Also, I can't stand going 70 when everyone else is going between 80 and 85. The reason that I ask is because yesterday there was an H.P. cop sitting underneath an overpass and it was hard to see him. I was going 80 and didn't see him until I was approximately a quarter mile away when I slammed on the brakes and let the guy in the Audi A7 next to me keep going and get pulled over (probably doing 82) right in front of me. I was thinking that it he'd been going 78 he may have gotten away with it.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #5565
UTL1098

I understand, but calculate how much time you really save by going that extra 10-15 miles/hour over the distance you travel and you'll find that it's not much. Every officer is different and will set their own limits. I once stopped and wrote some kids for doing 73 in a 65. Why? They saw me (rear passenger kept turning around) and the driver refused to slow to 65. He was even giggling when I first contacted him. I ended his giggling.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #5566
2000beamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTL1098 View Post
I understand, but calculate how much time you really save by going that extra 10-15 miles/hour over the distance you travel and you'll find that it's not much. Every officer is different and will set their own limits. I once stopped and wrote some kids for doing 73 in a 65. Why? They saw me (rear passenger kept turning around) and the driver refused to slow to 65. He was even giggling when I first contacted him. I ended his giggling.
I agree with you there. Blatantly breaking the law even in the presence of a law official is unacceptable. But that extra 5 minutes I save by driving faster is another 5 minutes for me to study in the parking lot. I understand the physics of speeding and how dangerous it is (stopping distance, reaction time, etc...) but the 30 miles of highway that I navigate each morning has little to no traffic at all. There are only 3 exits on that particular stretch of road and everyone moves at a relatively high rate of speed. That is why I find can't stand to drive 70 when everyone else is going 80+. It almost seems that I am MORE likely to be involved in some sort of collision when there are cars flying past me at significantly higher speeds. The way I see it (though it will never happen,) is that if every one of the few vehicles on the roadway at that time goes the exact same speed, there would probably be significantly fewer accidents. Also, going 70 here warrants that you will likely be passed by 18 wheelers, how dangerous is that?! Your response is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #5567
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
Hmmm I feel your leaving something out. Like maybe you were going 72mph and he was generous and wrote it for 65? I have never seen or heard of a cop giving a ticket for 65 in a 55. I'm sure it's happened... But extremely unlikely.
Nope, I'm really not. I have nothing to hide or lie about. I already got the ticket so changing my story won't do anything. Like I said, the cop wasn't in the mood to talk. He was very serious. He came up to my car, told me that he got my doing roughly 66 (66, sorry, not 65 - just looked at the ticket) in a 55 zone and that was pretty much it.

I thought it was strange since I wasn't going excessively fast (that road is just one long stretch and people tend to drive 60-70 mph), but oh well.

edit: He told me that he wrote me up for going 55+ in a 55 zone instead of my true speed (66), but I don't see that on the ticket. Under the Approx. Speed box, he wrote 66. Maybe the ticket code will reveal what he wrote me up for, but there is no way for me to know that.

Last edited by Wes; 02-02-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #5568
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
65... Now 66... Hmmm
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #5569
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
65... Now 66... Hmmm
Hell be going 102 by his next post.
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #5570
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
hey guys be careful out there. I hope and pray this nutjob gets caught soon.

http://www.wcvarones.com/2013/02/psy...ners.html#more
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #5571
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Thx dood

Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #5572
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
My old lady drove my car to work today sporting a KMA-367 license plate frame.

Last edited by chivo328; 02-07-2013 at 11:16 PM.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #5573
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Thx dood
Are your Motors in patrol units at the moment?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #5574
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Yes except on days

Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #5575
tiag_$edan

My Ride: tiag $edan
Turning the music up to loud? is that a violation?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #5576
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiag_$edan View Post
Turning the music up to loud? is that a violation?
It is in CA. If I can hear your music 50+ ft from your vehicle, it's a cite (27007VC).

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #5577
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Is Frobie still on this board? Does he still work Coalinga? I'd like to invite him to join me for a track day at Buttonwillow with either the Central California BMW Car Club on Friday June 7th or NASA So. Cal on June 1-2. He can sign up to drive or catch some ridealongs for free. I think a CHP would get more rides than the average visitor, as long as the organizers are notified in advance. Actually I got a ridealong and instruction once from a LEO at an ExtremeSpeed Streets of Willow event, but I don't remember if he was LAPD or LA Sheriff--guy with a silver Corvette who likes to tell jokes.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #5578
UTL1098

Not sure if he still pops in here, but he doesn't work in Coalinga any more. If he doesn't respond in a couple days I'll tell him to check your post.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #5579
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Thanks UTL1098. I drive through Santa Clara often on San Tomas Expressway, so hopefully I'm not speeding much! (Definitely not speeding at rush hour.) Actually any LEO would be welcome to join me for a track day or BMW CCA AutoX (which usually happens at Marina Airport near Monterey). My offer on track days isn't that generous because I can only take passengers at Speed Ventures events, not BMW CCA, ExtremeSpeed, or NASA events, all of which prohibit students of my level from taking passengers (except their own instructors). And I can't get a LEO in to drive for free, though some organizers might give LEOs a healthy discount, you know, for good karma points. I can and do give fun rides at the BMW AutoX events, though I'm not one of the fastest drivers.

I just appreciate all the advice Frobie has given in this thread and wanted to see if he'd like to watch, ride, or drive a track day.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 AM   #5580
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile
Cop Talk

Once I was driving my old hell rot red e36 with my family and a patrol officer who had just finished giving someone a ticket decided to follow me for about 3.5 miles. I was going the speed limit, didn't have much time of owning the car so it was completely stock, no tint, no radar, no nothing, followed all of the rules of the road so he didn't pull me over. When we reached our destination (the doctor's office) a little before him, then while in the office which had mirror tinted windows for the Texas sun, there he was waiting far away behind a store sign. He moved around the parking lot a couple of times I guess thinking that I was just waiting for him to leave to leave myself. But I've just always wondered what his motive could have been... Maybe just the county (Williamson) which I heard was the nation's 4th most convicting county or something. We had just moved but were still transitioning doctors and stuff. Maybe he wanted to see if I would speed first, then when he pulled my plate info found it strange that a red BMW from a large city would just randomly be driving in a mixed white/blue collar-ish suburb but mostly blue collar.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa