E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I'm a safety director for a mechanical contractor. I'm being paid 50% of the average salary in someone of my position (I've discussed this countless times with my employer; "It's not in the best interest of the company right now" is the response I get), the entire plumbing department wants me fired because I wrote up one of their guys FOUR YEARS AGO, and the project managers shove faults of their own on me (failure of communication seems to happen a lot when it comes to safety-related things). I've inquired about employment with general contractors in a safety position, but none of them seem to be hiring right now.

The people I work with make it unbearable and the lack of pay makes it difficult to deal with.
I personally wouldn't do it, but you'll never know unless you take the plunge. Car sales is a dog-eat-dog world of uncertainty with a load of variables. It's your call, though, you know better than anyone if you're capable.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I could never do it but I like my 9-5
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Long hours, and the pay well sometimes when you break it down it comes down to about $15/hr when you factor in the days and hours you put in. Some guys make more and enjoy it.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
I wouldn't do it. It would drastically reduce my E46 time.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
hotcarl01

My Ride: facelifted
Quote:
No nepotism, high chances of going from sales to management possibly quickly. I'd much rather have a steady income in a management position than risk not moving product.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Are you sure sales is for you at all? Going in with this in mind could be trouble. Especially commission sales. Besides, a good salesman makes more than his manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I don't fault you for looking elsewhere, but I'd be wary of someone feeding you a line of BS about quickly moving to management. Worst case is that you get hired, try it, and dislike it. You would probably have a sense if this is a line of work you enjoy or if this was a dealer specific issue and can get a new job with that in mind.
He's right, they don't even know you yet. The management line means nothing. If you sucks balls at sales, can't deal with customer issues, your people skills blow etc. then you're dead in the water.

What you need to do is go in ready to sell the fvck out of some cars, work extra hours, listen to the way every single person in the dealership sells and pick up their techniques quickly. Get to know everyone in the dealership well, treat them well because you will need everyone of them to help you close deals. The finance girls to make sure they don't lose the deal after you're sure you've secured it, the guys in parts to throw in some accessories to help close the deal, the lot boy to get your cars quicker than everyone else's etc.
hotcarl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
E46 has pretty good advice sometimes
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
E46 has pretty good advice sometimes
Truth.

I just don't care about people enough to be a safety director. I'm in the wrong damn line of work, for sure. I've been studying off and on for the CompTIA A+ certification and do something in IT, but I haven't touched it in... oh... three weeks? I could buckle down and get that knocked out... learn as I go from there.

This whole "I hate my job" thing really sucks.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #28
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Truth.

I just don't care about people enough to be a safety director. I'm in the wrong damn line of work, for sure. I've been studying off and on for the CompTIA A+ certification and do something in IT, but I haven't touched it in... oh... three weeks? I could buckle down and get that knocked out... learn as I go from there.

IT is saturated. CompTIA certs don't go far. Getting a job outside of geek squad is going to be nigh impossible unless you have at least 5 years of experience or a bachelor's.

Last edited by choxor; 02-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Truth.

I dislike my job, but I like plenty of things about it: the people I work with, the pay, flexibility with hours, working from home, 5+ weeks PTO, ridiculous benefits, etc.

Until I can figure out a better gig for my circumstance, I'm staying put.

Working from home has completely spoiled me. I would have a tough time going to an office unless it was very close to home. Even then, I can't wear sweatpants

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #30
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
IT work is awesome if you can get it. Well, at least from the software development side.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
SPDSKTR

Quote:
I dislike my job, but I like plenty of things about it: the people I work with, the pay, flexibility with hours, working from home, 5+ weeks PTO, ridiculous benefits, etc.

Until I can figure out a better gig for my circumstance, I'm staying put.

Working from home has completely spoiled me. I would have a tough time going to an office unless it was very close to home. Even then, I can't wear sweatpants
The people I work with are self-centered shits who throw me under the bus at any opportunity they can. My pay is 50% of that of someone in my position in my area. The hours are usually solid, but I get tired of travelling out of town to visit jobsites. I get 80 hours of paid vacation each year, and that's only because I've been employed for more than three years (I've been here six and a half years).

There's nothing good about this job except I know I can come to it every single day and work at least 40 hours. It's really hard to just not go Milton Waddams on this place.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Dude.. I know this is going to sound weird but hear me out. If it is true that once you factor it out and make $15 an hour, I say stay away. From the long ours and having to move cars, the stress would be too much and too tiring. Get this- I'm a sophomore in college and went home for Christmas break and worked at Nordstrom. After a week and a half of working full time (not a full pay period because finals didnt match up with the PP) I pulled in 2100$ before taxes selling shoes. And I just talked to girls and told them they looked good. Given its not a career I would enjoy, but I'm saying there's gotta be something that offers more that you'll enjoy.
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #34
rsxstock

My Ride: 2001 325ci
like others have said, you were probably fed bs from bmw. i suggest you keep looking for another job that is related to your current field while keeping this one
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
eee4666

My Ride: '02 325i / '07 600RR
You've answered your own question numerous times in this thread.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #37
vamusclebuilder

My Ride: 93' 325iS & 00 323i
I was a Mercedes-Benz salesman for about 5 years on both floor sales and internet sales. In my opinion only 2 types of people are successful in sales and by successful I mean exceeding the quota. The first type of person couldn't care less about the product and is good at persuasion, the second type of person has an actual interest in the product and is very personable. I was successful at MB sales because im very good with people and I have a love for German vehicles. I'm sort of a techy person so I used alot of the technical specs and gadgets to get customers excited about buying an MB. Basically, if you are good with people you'll do well...for the most part.

Edit...As far as moving up to management fast, thats highly unlikely. You'll have to prove yourself first.

Last edited by vamusclebuilder; 02-08-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Management.
vamusclebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
SPDSKTR

I actually had an insightful conversation with Lair for lunch. Despite some of the stupid shit he says on here, he's a great guy who knows a thing or two about the automotive industry (as far as dealerships go).

I'll be calling them up and telling them I'm going to think on it a bit.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 02-08-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #39
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Did you get an offer?

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #40
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Did you get an offer?
I basically had the offer yesterday. They just wanted me to interview with one other manager today to get his input.