E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Intermittent Stalling

Ok guys, don't hate on me. I did a search and I didn't see anything that was quite along the lines I'm dealing with.

Every once in a while I'll start the car, put it in drive, and when I hit the gas it will stall. I start it right back up and it goes just fine. It only seems to happen after the initial start. Never when it's up to operating temp. No SES light. I don't have a BMW scanner so I don't now if there are any stored codes.

New fuel filter, air filter, just cleaned the MAF w/MAF cleaner, new plugs, DISA appears to be working well and CCV has no leaks that I can see. I just replaced my oil pan gasket and everything was sludge free with a normal amount of varnish you would expect to see on an engine w/124K miles.

Any ideas? Fuel pump maybe? I'm thinking no because it never stalls or stumbles again after that initial stall. Weird.

Last edited by 330iPilot; 02-07-2013 at 11:13 AM.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
z69ss

My Ride: 2000 323i
Check the idle valve and see if it moves freely
z69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
330iPilot

That's a great place to start. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
orb

My Ride: Coupè
camshaft position sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
lvmy325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
My car has done this before when I am driving and then I turn right. It starts right back up and goes fine. Does not happen often, in fact very rare. Not sure what year you have but if you look up the reviews of your car and complaints from others about the same issue you can see its not an isolated problem with just your car. I just took my 325i in and found out it had an electrical short from the MAF. Not sure if that was the problem but if you are not pulling any codes could be just a freak incident.
lvmy325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Consider the sap too...see if the hose from pump is in good shape...if squishy, look in the valve (if you have one) for a clog of gunk...from decomposed sap hose.

Try unplugging maf and seeing if that eliminates the issue...that would tell you either a maf gone bad, or an air leak...which is far more common

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
camshaft position sensor.
That would throw a code
Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Consider the sap too...see if the hose from pump is in good shape...if squishy, look in the valve (if you have one) for a clog of gunk...from decomposed sap hose.

Try unplugging maf and seeing if that eliminates the issue...that would tell you either a maf gone bad, or an air leak...which is far more common
From a quick look though it looks in good shape. I'll look at it a bit closer. Almost positive it's not a vacuum leak, I'm pretty anal about all my hoses. You never know, it could be hidden where I can't see it though. My old girl's just getting to that age that she needs a lot of little stuff replaced.

Last edited by 330iPilot; 02-07-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
generic

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Just had this problem today put a code reader on it an came up as a camshaft position sensor you can go to advanve auto and use their OBD2 scanner for free to confirm but I had the same symptoms this morning

Sent from my ADR8995 using Bimmer App
generic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
dmax

In re-reading, I'm going to suggest that maybe you left something unplugged...nothing personal.

If this happened just after doing oil pan gasket then maybe something associated with that. If you'd done the plugs, etc., also very recently, could 'maybe' be a loose ground wire under the engine cover...sounds less likely. Anyway, I like proximate causes, and they're often approximately correct!

Just saying...again, nothing personal!

GL and let us know what you figure out.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic View Post
Just had this problem today put a code reader on it an came up as a camshaft position sensor you can go to advanve auto and use their OBD2 scanner for free to confirm but I had the same symptoms this morning

I replaced mine about a year ago. It threw an SES light when it went bad. Didn't yours?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
In re-reading, I'm going to suggest that maybe you left something unplugged...nothing personal.

If this happened just after doing oil pan gasket then maybe something associated with that. If you'd done the plugs, etc., also very recently, could 'maybe' be a loose ground wire under the engine cover...sounds less likely. Anyway, I like proximate causes, and they're often approximately correct!

Just saying...again, nothing personal!

GL and let us know what you figure out.
Double and triple checked all those boogers. Nothing that I could see. I even had another set of eyes look over my repairs for good measure.

So far my ICV seems like a pretty good culprit. It's never been cleaned. I'll pull it apart and let you know what I find.

What do you mean nothing personal? I know you and I jab at each other in the poli forum but its clear you have a pretty good in depth knowledge of the car. So your insight is much appreciated. Plus your comedic wit and timing is pretty entertaining as well!

Last edited by 330iPilot; 02-08-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
330iPilot

ICV was good and dirty. Not moving freely. Cleaned it all up and seems to be working well. But of course I uncovered another issue. When I pulled out my DISA there was quite a bit of oil in the intake. Here I come new CCV!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
generic

Would that cause smoke out the exhaust?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
330iPilot

Not if its minor. Its probably been hapenning for a while.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
generic

Ohh ok just wondering I need to replace my disa soon probably need a ccv too

Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
ICV was good and dirty. Not moving freely. Cleaned it all up and seems to be working well. But of course I uncovered another issue. When I pulled out my DISA there was quite a bit of oil in the intake. Here I come new CCV!
I think every intake manifold has oil inside of it. That by itself isn't a reason for the ccv I don't think. The real sign is massive loss of oil usually...or a visibly cracked/leaking hose.

I knew I knew you from somewhere. Fortunately for me, I'm old, so forget who I battled with in Poli! I might be liberal there, but here, I'm very conservative!

Anyway, icv is a good reason for stalling. You checked the lower intake boot for a crack in the elbow I hope...or otherwise replaced that boot earlier?

If you notice a vestige of idle surging, stalling, just clean it better next time you're down there. I used a can and a half of cleaner on mine...three years later, it's still good...just beginning to show subtle signs of wanting to be cleaned again.

Oh, btw, thanks for recognizing my incredible comedic talents...I think you're the third. Good eye! LOL

Last edited by dmax; 02-08-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360377440
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
330iPilot

Ya, all boots are in good shape. There seemed to be enough oil in there that it seems like the CCV is on its way out. No honking noise or anything like that though. At 11 years old I wonder if I just shouldn't replace it to be sure. I need to do my OFHG for the second time. Plus I need to do my Vanos as well. Little by little I'm getting them all knocked out.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
That would throw a code
Cam/crank sensors throw codes but if they don't have multiple faults in a row AKA "intermittently" then you wont get SES or CEL.

You also have 2 camshaft sensors and 1 crankshaft sensor all 3 could cause these symptoms.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #20
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci Manual
Quote:
I need to do my Vanos as well..
Hit that.
Commando is offline   Reply With Quote