E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #81
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Seems like it's a 330 only issue. My old 330 did it really badly until I switched to drilled rotors. M3 doesn't exhibit this behavior in the slightest, even though front rotors are the same diameter and rears are bigger.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-03-2011 at 10:36 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #82
leverlock

My Ride: 330xi
You can add me to this list also. Previously drove a '00 323 which had reasonably good brakes both wet and dry. Just bought the '04 330xi and thought "wow" great brakes (dry). Very surprised to find driving in the rain today I had a second or so of very reduced braking force as well as significant pull to left. Second application of brakes seemed normal. My car was supposedly serviced at a dealer about 30k ago with new pads/rotors so I'll assume BMW OEM parts for now.

I'm thankful for this website and all the info!
leverlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #83
OUTATIME

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Add me to the list - reduced braking force and pulls to the right under braking in wet conditions. Did anyone find a solution to this problem? Replacing with new OEM rotors?
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #84
OUTATIME

I think I can say that I solved this problem with a fair level of confidence.

My shop replaced the rear pads at 100k because they were almost gone, but not the rotors. I still had the wet braking delay. Afterwards, I noticed that the rotors had some rust scarring towards the outer half which meant the pads were not making proper contact.

I then read all about brake pad bedding and (hopefully) I did that properly by making approximately 8 hard stops from 60 - 25 mph. I have yet to experience that scary delay in the hardest of rains now . . .
Old 03-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #85
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
I'm 100% OEM, brand new tires and same problem, but only in heavy rain. I too suspect the cooling ducts.

BMW has addressed it for newer models:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle.../dsc_more.html

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #86
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
I'm 100% OEM, brand new tires and same problem, but only in heavy rain. I too suspect the cooling ducts.

Mercs have similar thing too by gently riding the brakes to dry the rotors.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #87
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post

If its a cooling duct issue, M3 should do it too then right? Even when I had blank rotors, these brakes worked much better than my 330's

I can't really think of anything else though. There isn't anything about the 330 brakes that screams design flaw
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 AM   #88
MntnTwisties

My Ride: 04 325i
I have a 04 325i sedan oem pads and rotors.. I think this might be caused on the 330 more because of wheel design. I never had this problem with my oem wheels.. When I installed my vmr v710 wheels which expose much more of the rotors I started having this problem. It does not happen when driving alone on the highway or on single lane roads but when driving beside or behind other cars I think my open wheels are letting an excess of water in.
It is definitely scary.. When I push the pedal it doesn't seem to depress as far as it should very hard to push but a couple pumps and the brakes are dry braking like a champ. Dry braking is perfect.. Tires are new.
Just an idea I had what do you all think?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Bimmer App
MntnTwisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #89
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
So I'm not reading 5 pages of posts were perople are guessing at what is cuasing this.

If you have stock rotors and pads, the pad will naturlly surf a wet rotor until enuff heat friction has dried the pad off for the pad to begin to bite in the rotor.

Simple - This happens in ALL disk brake cars and ususally worse in drum brakes.

I used gas slotted rotors and unlike drilled rotors the gas ducted rotors sweep the water off the surface of the rotor extrememly fast.

I know the OP is from Washington State, I chose the gas slotted rotors for quick clear off because I also live in Washington state. It simply works with a lot of rain!!!!

Get the Continental DWS all season tire, (cheap with Exremely highy ratings. The gas slotted rotors and flush the brake system. You won't be disapointed in your brakes response.

You will however begin to notice how others brake behind you as they're coming up on you and They probably can't stop as fast as you can. Nice feeling actually.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 03-02-2012 at 03:16 AM.
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #90
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
I've never experienced this. Instant brake response in all conditions for me. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #91
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Never had any issue either...stock wheels, pads (textars), and blanks. I stop quickly. But, also, I almost always use my brakes firmly when I use them. So many here seem to get 'warped' rotors, I think that many are getting deposits built up on their rotors because they're both too easy on the brakes and then, maybe, after stopping when the rotors are hot, they'll leave the pads sitting on the rotors.

In an automatic, this seems more likely. Often when I'm stopped, I'll release the brake, or on an incline, will just release it and let the wheel move a bit so pad doesn't rest on one place too long.

Use your brakes harder when you use them.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #92
OUTATIME

I'm now having an issue where in the rain if I brake, the car pulls HARD to the right. This is after getting brand new OEM front rotors and pads, and rear pads. It's pretty scary.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #93
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
I'm now having an issue where in the rain if I brake, the car pulls HARD to the right. This is after getting brand new OEM front rotors and pads, and rear pads. It's pretty scary.
That's good...problems with brakes should be scary.

Did you do this yourself or have someone else install them? If the latter, take it back right away.

If this is immediately after getting them, then I bet they're not bedded, but it could be that a caliper is seizing. When you can, drive about 10 mins on the highway and pull over without using the brakes. As soon as you can, touch your finger quickly to the rotors and see if one is hotter than the others. It will be on the side opposite of the one you're pulling to, either front or back.

If the caliper is sticking it would be much hotter on that rotor and the brakes wouldn't work as well as on the cold side. That is, if the brake job was just done.

Inspect the work done...make sure the wheel bolts are tight and the caliper carriers too.

Read up on bedding the brakes, and follow the directions carefully...after you've inspected things...and be careful when you do it...you'll look drunk to a cop.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #94
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
I've read of a lot of problems with brakes lagging in the rain but I've never experienced this with my blank rotors. My brakes seem to stop as sharp in the rain as in the dry.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #95
OUTATIME

In short, we fixed it. I'm not clear on what went wrong - the shop told me that one of the brake rotors were not "mounted correctly on the hub" due to a rusty hub . . . they cleaned it and remounted (for free) and it seems to stop well in the rain now. I hadn't bed the pads yet - I can't find an opportunity (enough space/time). I believe they machined the rotors as well so I'll re-bed the pads and see what happens.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #96
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Maybe this issue is being viewed from the wrong angle?

BMW's in general and likely more so on the 330 have very good and sensitive OE brakes when dry, maybe once the rotors are wet on the 330 it is just a bit more obvious they do not bite initially as to compared to when dry?

So it may be a perception issue more than a safety or equipment problem.

That being said, it is impossible for this perception to be accurately understood and analyzed without ever experiencing the issue first hand.

Likely this is not a "real" problem, meaning there have not been enough problems and complaints or incidents that this is turned into a full scale investigation.

Given how many of these cars are on the road, this probably would have manifested into a really well known and discussed issue if there was some exceptional safety problem.

If we are only talking about 1 second when brakes are very wet, I would sure hope that most drivers have adjusted their driving for the conditions that the 1 second would not make a real world difference whether this be in a BMW 330 or any other car.

Only thing I can say is if a vehicle exhibits this type of condition, fully inspect the brake system to make sure nothing else is wrong then be aware of how the brakes react when wet.

I think about how the brakes work, or do not work, on a bicycle that has rubber pads that grip a wet rim. Talk about wet brake degradation due to water.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote