E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #41
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
E46F OT....helping to determine career paths with senseless posts since 1969.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #42
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntin325 View Post
Is anybody on here an actual tech in a dealership or knows one that can answer this simple question? I'm going to uti and I want to join the BMW program but I first wanna know how many hours they put in a week doing flat rate, do the dealerships get a lot of recalls or just preventive maintenance
Go to a BMW dealership and ask to speak to the service manager.
Tell him about your career goals and ask him what it is like to work on BMW's as opposed to other car models.

Tell him you like Bimmers and you like his dealership. Ask him what an average day is like in the maintenance dept and what kind of credentials they look for when they hire someone new.

Be aggressive, confident and professional.

Thank him for his time and when you have some down time at UTI, like for Christmas or Easter or Summer vacation, ask for a seasonal job, even if it is washing cars.

You will have a much better time of getting a job when you graduate.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #43
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
Tell him about your career goals and ask him what it is like to work on BMW's as opposed to other car models.

Tell him you like Bimmers and you like his dealership. Ask him what an average day is like in the maintenance dept and what kind of credentials they look for when they hire someone new.

Thank him for his time and when you have some down time at UTI, like for Christmas or Easter or Summer vacation, ask for a seasonal job, even if it is washing cars.

Yup, it's called an informational interview. Good tactic.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #44
stuntin325

My Ride: 2001 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post

Thanks very much, I'm going to do this first thing Saturday morning and I will let you guys know how it goes

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Bimmer App
stuntin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #45
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
there's always work.
I very much disagree. Every dealer I have worked for, multiple times, have had down times where there was no work after 1 or 2pm. This is not just with bmw, but multiple brands. And one of these was a very large bmw dealer. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

Quote:
But starting out of course you aren't going to be making as much as a tech that's been there 5+ years or a master tech. Starting out you'll most likely be doing light repairs and not a lot of hours.
Yes, most dealers will start you out normal hourly not flat rate, and having you do oil changes, free work, etc.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #46
xtacy12

My Ride: its stock
BMW techs around here in the DC area are paid off of the hours of work they complete on each car. so in a two week pay period you can make anywhere from as low as 70 hours up to as much work as you can handle. most techs at my dealer average around 80-100 hours per person. you do not get overtime pay. There are only a couple techs who make 120 hours and that is because they work their asses to the bone. One tech makes close to 140 hours average and he uses 3 lifts and has almost a 0 comeback rate. You will be deducted hours also if you have a comeback that is your fault.

Also for those who say there isnt always work.. THERE IS ALWAYS WORK around here. My dealer BMW of Rockville is walk-in no apoinment needed from 730am to 7pm.
CSL 1-Piece Lip | Blackout Kit | Apex EC-7 | 75mm Studs | Moteki SR48 Gold Lugs | Yellow Stoptech ST40 | KW V2 | Vorshlag Camber Plates and RSM | UUC Adjustable Rear Control Arms | RRT Reinforced Rear Subframe | AFE Super Stock Intake | JVT Headers | SGT X-Pipe | 6.5lb Titanium Muffler | FS Tune by Frank Smith

Last edited by xtacy12; 02-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.
xtacy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #47
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
at work or at home?

i mean , a bmw tech could put 35 hours at work and 45 hours on the toilet

wtf are you on bro?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 02-09-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1360415557
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #48
SHOoff11

My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
I'm so glad I found this thread, I'm planning on going to UTI for the BMW program after I get my business degree.

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black
1983 BMW 733i 5MT Schwarz/Cardinal

Sold: 1999 328i sedan Alpine White/Sand
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #49
stuntin325

My Ride: 2001 325
^^what campus

stuntin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #50
SHOoff11

My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
Quote:
^^what campus

Probably the Orlando one, I still have another year and a half of my business degree to go before I can start looking into tech schools.

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black
1983 BMW 733i 5MT Schwarz/Cardinal

Sold: 1999 328i sedan Alpine White/Sand
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #51
330ciandr6

I absolutely HATED UTI in orlando. I was the 2nd class to go through the program when they started it there. All they were worried about was cramming class sizes and dress code. I was promised small class sizes (around 10-15 students per instructor), our classes had anywhere from 20-30 students at a time. School was WAY overpriced and all it was, was a step in the door to a dealership because you still start out at a dealer as an entry level tech. They will lead you to believe that you will come out making $50-$75k a year (what our recruiter told us) which is very untrue. We had multiple people from our class quit midway through. It was a horrible experience. /rant

Quote:
We are slammed every day...the only period the cars stop coming is 12-1 pm (lunch break lol)
I wish that's how we were. The last 4 dealers I have worked for have never been like that.

Last edited by 330ciandr6; 02-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #52
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Is anybody on here an actual tech in a dealership or knows one that can answer this simple question? I'm going to uti and I want to join the BMW program but I first wanna know how many hours they put in a week doing flat rate, do the dealerships get a lot of recalls or just preventive maintenance
I was a tech for a couple years at a BMW dealership. We started at 8, had a hour lunch, and went home at 5. M-F weekends off. How much work depends on the dealership, time of year, and luck of the draw. Sometimes we had to work alittle over but not ususally, occasioanlly we would be dead and could leave early if we wanted.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #53
330ciandr6

I haven't seen a dealer be closed on a saturday in forever. I wish we could close saturdays! All the dealers around here close at like 1, but we work all day.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #54
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Is there any way in, credentials-wise besides UTI?

I love the idea of working on BMWs but I hate the idea of getting ass-rheamed by a for-profit school.

Also I have literally heard not one positive thing about UTI from previous students. Hell I see a lot of those same guys working at auto zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #55
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
I got in through a local trade school. Just talk to the dealership, they may even send you to school themselves. I know several of our techs back in the day walked in off the street...

It's a pretty shitty career choice. I've been doing it for 11 years now and I want to cry every morning.

Drove past my shop today, got several waiting out front
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #56
330ciandr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
Is there any way in, credentials-wise besides UTI?

I love the idea of working on BMWs but I hate the idea of getting ass-rheamed by a for-profit school.

Also I have literally heard not one positive thing about UTI from previous students. Hell I see a lot of those same guys working at auto zone.
Yup, I've don't think I've heard many positives from any past students. You could take an auto class at a local community college as a foot in the door, or start out at an oil change place for a little while to build a little experience. Then go apply at the dealer. I know we have been hurting at work for a tech or two lately. Turn around in the tech industry is pretty high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
I got in through a local trade school. Just talk to the dealership, they may even send you to school themselves. I know several of our techs back in the day walked in off the street...
Yup, has happened here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
It's a pretty shitty career choice. I've been doing it for 11 years now and I want to cry every morning.
Was true for me too. I hated being a tech.