E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #181
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
so i've never played a game like this, but i used to play a lot of japanese-style rpgs (e.g. final fantasy). in those games, i would literally talk to everyone in every town, so it'd take about 30-40 min to get through each town. for skyrim, there's so much to see in each town that it takes hours for each town. is it even worth it to see what literally everyone says and what every book says?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #182
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
so i've never played a game like this, but i used to play a lot of japanese-style rpgs (e.g. final fantasy). in those games, i would literally talk to everyone in every town, so it'd take about 30-40 min to get through each town. for skyrim, there's so much to see in each town that it takes hours for each town. is it even worth it to see what literally everyone says and what every book says?
I just read each book, like click read and then close it. If the book will give you an attribute boost it will do it automatically.

You can probably spend a week in each town. The game is what you make of it. I really didn't go into all that stuff, but after I beat the game I started really getting into each town. Since I'm on PS3 the loading screens made it really not worth it to go from house to house doing little tasks. Stuff took FOREVER.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #183
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
to go thru everything in the game would take years, you would have to be really into it to take the time to actually read each book. No idea if there is any benefit to reading them or not... Like ^ above reading books gives attributes automatically if you dont get any I dont take time to read them... tip for that the more expensive a book means it usually give bonuses, ie a 5 gold book is worthless IMO whereas a the 50-60+ usually give something or are at least possibly relevant to something...
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #184
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
to go thru everything in the game would take years, you would have to be really into it to take the time to actually read each book. No idea if there is any benefit to reading them or not... Like ^ above reading books gives attributes automatically if you dont get any I dont take time to read them... tip for that the more expensive a book means it usually give bonuses, ie a 5 gold book is worthless IMO whereas a the 50-60+ usually give something or are at least possibly relevant to something...
word, im gonna stop reading those stupid books then. by "reading" i didnt mean i just hit A and opened them; i meant i actually read the words, like a sucker
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #185
Act of God

Quote:
word, im gonna stop reading those stupid books then. by "reading" i didnt mean i just hit A and opened them; i meant i actually read the words, like a sucker
omg that sounds horrible haha

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 02-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #186
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
omg that sounds horrible haha
at first i was reading them all the way through, and after a couple hours, i started skimming them
Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #187
Act of God

Quote:
at first i was reading them all the way through, and after a couple hours, i started skimming them
I pretty much cheesed my way through smithing (iron daggers) and enchanting (anything I can pick up) to get to 100 as soon as possible. Worth it.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #188
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
i've learned some are worth reading , others not

just joined dawnguard , woot

and i wax imperials on site, off to windhelm to join stormcloaks

and i do talk to everyone, same person later will have new dialogue from time to time

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 02-09-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360442755
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #189
Mike Larry

hey were we given the choice at the beginning of the game to either join the imperials or the rebels? i'm still at the beginning and i already ran an errand for a rebel. i didnt even know i chose a side when i did. can i switch if i want to?

also, should i be walking around with several weapons or should i just focus on one or two. right now, i have a two-handed axe, two-handed sword, one-handed sword, and a bow+arrows.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 02-09-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360437887
Mike Larry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #190
Act of God

Quote:
hey were we given the choice at the beginning of the game to either join the imperials or the rebels? i'm still at the beginning and i already ran an errand for a rebel. i didnt even know i chose a side when i did. can i switch if i want to?

also, should i be walking around with several weapons or should i just focus on one or two. right now, i have a two-handed axe, two-handed sword, one-handed sword, and a bow+arrows.
You get to decide later on in the game. Until then you can play both sides. I mainly focused on sword/shield and a bow. It is totally up to you, go into the skill trees and see which perks you prefer and build up accordingly.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #191
wasp9166
ima touching member

can choose later. after you learn more of story .............

me, i never use a shield or dagger

2 handed exquisite fire enchanted sword right now, gota build up smithing for exquisite

ebony bow with frost enchant and dwarven archery braces

pretty much it, i was using a war hammer in the beginning, but the power attack animation on the sword is better imo ,(hold down attack and move forward)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Combat

use that site , it has everything,wikipedia for skyrim

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 02-09-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360443343
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #192
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
can choose later. after you learn more of story .............

me, i never use a shield or dagger

2 handed exquisite fire enchanted sword right now, gota build up smithing for exquisite

ebony bow with frost enchant and dwarven archery braces

pretty much it, i was using a war hammer in the beginning, but the power attack animation on the sword is better imo ,(hold down attack and move forward)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Combat

use that site , it has everything,wikipedia for skyrim
thanks dude i'm gonna check out the link later on. this game is so overwhelming sometimes. it's the first video game i've played since the original playstation/xbox days too; i feel like things have gotten so much more complicated since then lol
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #193
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
I did the quick enchanting and smithing like mentioned above with the daggers. You can use potions and wear certain clothing to increase max damage on weapons while you make them and other potions to max out enchantments you put on these weapons. I have spent at least an hour making 2 bows (sh!t made my head hurt trying to figure out how to max them out). The main bow I use will do 300+ damage when I'm wearing the right apparel. IMO I think bows are the best. I can pretty much drop any enemy with one shot now and have even shot a dragon out of the sky.

Tip: look up quest walkthroughs. This will help TREMENDOUSLY when doing the quests and missions, especially if there is some sort of puzzle involved.

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci

Last edited by ngillan; 02-09-2013 at 08:32 PM.
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #194
ngillan

Early in the game, if you need a place to keep stuff that you don't want to carry around, use a wardrobe in the castle at dragonsreach. The stuff will not disappear and there are alchemy and enchanting tables near by. Once you get a house then transfer your stuff there. My favorite is the one in Whiterun since it is right next to the blacksmith and a general store where I sell stuff. I started collecting random things in my house like these small gold statues that I would find throughout the game, I also found a few butterflies and bees in jars that I started collecting for sh!ts and giggles. Damn, I wish I wouldn't have let my brother borrow the game...I really wanna play it now.

There are also a couple invisible treasure chests around the game, the easiest one to get to is to the left of the cave entrance by dawnstar if I remember correctly. There is a video on youtube on how to get to it and it refills itself with stuff every few days. The value of the items in the chest depend on your overall level.

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci

Last edited by ngillan; 02-09-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #195
Mike Larry

im only level 7 right now and it doesnt seem like i even stand a chance against the giants and the mammoths. do i need to be further into the game?

also, are the cups, buckets, goblets, etc just completely useless?

Last edited by Mike Larry; 02-09-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360463155
Mike Larry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #196
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
im only level 7 right now and it doesnt seem like i even stand a chance against the giants and the mammoths. do i need to be further into the game?

you've got a long way to go.

And yes, pretty much.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #197
ngillan

Yea all the buckets, brooms, and crap are useless unless you want to collect them for fun. If you need some extra coin take random things like this to the general store and sell them. Mike I HIGHLY reccomend going to youtube and looking up how to find the hidden chest near Dawnstar that I was talking about.

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci

Last edited by ngillan; 02-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #198
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Quote:

yea you will get there eventually, level 50+ and things are really too easy, like one hit for most enemies so enjoy it while its still a challenge...

you should be able to walk by most giants and as long as you dont attack them they wont attack you...
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #199
ngillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
yea you will get there eventually, level 50+ and things are really too easy, like one hit for most enemies so enjoy it while its still a challenge...

you should be able to walk by most giants and as long as you dont attack them they wont attack you...
This is correct, but if you do want to kill a giant:
1) Fire off an arrow at him to get his attention
2) run into a nearby river or lake shallow enough to stand in
3) Shoot arrows at him until he is dead (giants cannot go into water)
4) profit

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #200
wasp9166
ima touching member

i kill giants from above on rocks usually

Quote:

Last edited by wasp9166; 02-10-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1360511325