E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #41
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Isn't this the second time you've come to the Board to get permission, then backed away when everyone told you it was a bad idea?

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #42
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
Isn't this the second time you've come to the Board to get permission, then backed away when everyone told you it was a bad idea?

It seemed like a better one this time around.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #43
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Good luck! I'm often disappointed at BMW dealerships because the sales staff only knows sales, and doesn't care to take any interest beyond that. The more brand enthusiasts working at dealerships, the better.
This is why my local-ish dealer is so great. The guy I got my first car from was the first to take me to a DE and we went with the owner of the dealership and his son. They were running a brand new M6 an 87 M3. I'm friends with one of the techs and he built and ran drag cars when we were in high school, and I know a couple of the other sales reps track their cars too. I've been to every dealer in the state except one and these guys are above and beyond the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
This whole "I hate my job" thing really sucks.
I know the feeling all too well.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-08-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360356146
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #44
norcalmike

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
if you are miserable at your job, leave. if selling BMWs intrigues you, try it. I have attempted a few different career moves. took me til my late 30s to finally find a rewarding, good paying, stable career. I have no regrets at my past career failures. at least I tried. who knows, this could be the greatest career move you ever made. don't let people's negative view deter you. it's your career, not theirs.
norcalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #45
pakman3

My Ride: piece
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #46
Bmwdad

My Ride: 2003 M3
Think hard if this is something you want to do long term. If you are good at it but don't want a career there it will be hard to find time for study or schooling in another career. Car dealerships are demanding of your time. I've never been in the business but a family member was. I could never be a good sales man, that's something I just know. Commission jobs are ruthless. Lots of stepping on people.
Bmwdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #47
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell how did it go?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #48
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
I really sat down and thought long and hard about it all. I like my Saturdays, holidays, and guaranteed pay.

If I had nobody to care about but myself, I could see myself doing it. When I heard him practically begging me to work there, something felt... odd about it. We ended the conversation with, "Well... there will always be opportunities with car sales, so when you're ready, you know where to look."
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #49
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Welp, sounds like you listened to your gut. Usually the right thing to do.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #50
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Most of the stories I've heard from guys who have had sales positions at dealerships end with them saying it sucks and was nothing like they expected.

I have a buddy whose family owns a BMW dealership, so he has it made and grabbed the finance manager position at an early age. I suspect if you don't have nepotism working for you, it would suck.
Does your buddy's last name start with an N?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #51
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
I really sat down and thought long and hard about it all. I like my Saturdays, holidays, and guaranteed pay.

If I had nobody to care about but myself, I could see myself doing it. When I heard him practically begging me to work there, something felt... odd about it. We ended the conversation with, "Well... there will always be opportunities with car sales, so when you're ready, you know where to look."
Good decision.

Keep concentrating on the aspects of your job that you appreciate. You have a lot of perks, and it would be a shame to throw away 6+ years of tenure.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #52
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
When I heard him practically begging me to work there, something felt... odd about it. We ended the conversation with, "Well... there will always be opportunities with car sales, so when you're ready, you know where to look."
That doesn't make sense to me. Sales is a tough job to get, especially for someone who isn't experienced in sales. Tom Williams (I suppose where you were going) gets their pick of the litter in terms of salesman in the Birmingham area. The premier auto groups are a picky lot.

I don't see anyone begging a non-sales person to take a job. I am sure they only wanted someone who (they felt) would make them money. If they were that confident to hire you (and beg you), I would take the job. I don't think they would hire you to fail.

Last edited by 325seeeye; 02-09-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1360421970
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #53
Lair

Obviously you're unfamiliar with Sonic corporation's employment culture.

They might as well install a revolving door for their sales force.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #54
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Obviously you're unfamiliar with Sonic corporation's employment culture.

They might as well install a revolving door for their sales force.
So do they hire people who they think are going to suck at sales? That would be a reason to doubt their motives.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #55
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
In most buinesses when in sales the purpose is to sell, sell, sell and bring in the revenue. Making money is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #56
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
So do they hire people who they think are going to suck at sales? That would be a reason to doubt their motives.
Have you ever interviewed for a sales gig?

A lot of sales places will hire anyone with a hint of potential, then put them out and see what happens. If they sell, great. If they don't, bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #57
Lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
They'll hire anyone who shows a glimmer of intelligence.

A new GM took over last month and shltcanned all the BMW store's managers - even in the parts department. Again.

They know there's a never-ending stream of warm bodies that they can use up and throw away, and they treat their employees accordingly.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #58
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

Wow. Well, there is always barber college SPDSKTR.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #59
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Good luck! I'm often disappointed at BMW dealerships because the sales staff only knows sales, and doesn't care to take any interest beyond that. The more brand enthusiasts working at dealerships, the better.
When I bought my car the salesman spent 2 hours with my personalizing my car after I bought it.

He knew everything about the car.

I guess I got a good one.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #60
ROOFLESS

My Ride: has a 3.2L bag now
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarl01 View Post
Are you sure sales is for you at all? Going in with this in mind could be trouble. Especially commission sales. Besides, a good salesman makes more than his manager.

He's right, they don't even know you yet. The management line means nothing. If you sucks balls at sales, can't deal with customer issues, your people skills blow etc. then you're dead in the water.

What you need to do is go in ready to sell the fvck out of some cars, work extra hours, listen to the way every single person in the dealership sells and pick up their techniques quickly. Get to know everyone in the dealership well, treat them well because you will need everyone of them to help you close deals. The finance girls to make sure they don't lose the deal after you're sure you've secured it, the guys in parts to throw in some accessories to help close the deal, the lot boy to get your cars quicker than everyone else's etc.
^^^ This was the best advice in this thread so far. I started selling Chrysler when I was about 21 years old. By 23 I cracked $110,000 and bought my first condo. Became a sales manager at 25 and started making over $150k. It lined me up to accomplish anything I wanted to do. Theres no better business experience then sales experience. It is a hustlers game tho. You have to be aggressive and have the mentality that you need to eat and feed your family. Believe it or not you'll actually make more money in a Chrysler or GM store. BMW/MB (average sales guys) make about $60-90k while those same guys would be making over $100k in a domestic store.