E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
wa325cic330i

My Ride: 325Cic, 530i
Rain water in trunk

Performed 2 searches for info on locating source of water leaks into trunk. Found some "interesting" threads but after reading 7 pages of post returns on each search I am now starting a new post.

'01 325 convertible with factory hardtop. Hardtop has been installed since Sept. as we do get a little rain here in the Northwet. Smelled mildew, opened trunk and determined trunk as source of smell. Removed trunk contents, the carpet on the floor felt a little moist (I think), and removed spare to find an inch of water below the spare tire. Car is garaged when home but parked outside during 12 hour night shifts. After drying out the area where the spare goes water returned after a rainy night parked outside at the hospital.

Removed hard top and put up soft top. Soft top is fine, no visible signs or smell of mildew, for which I'm thankful. I have not parked the car outside in the rain since I put the soft top up.

Suggestions?

Loren

Last edited by wa325cic330i; 02-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.
wa325cic330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
How is the weather strip on the hard top? Did you lock it tight in the back? Sounds like its a large leak, spray water to see if you can spot the leak. Do this with soft top first to isolate the issue, ie hardtop or some other culprit
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
Sounds funny, but a friend tracked a leak by stuffing (and where necessary taping) a bunch of paper towel pieces inside his car in the areas around where the water was ending up, and then running it through a car wash and checking what got wet. Worked for him...
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
wa325cic330i

My Ride: 325Cic, 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
How is the weather strip on the hard top? Did you lock it tight in the back? Sounds like its a large leak, spray water to see if you can spot the leak. Do this with soft top first to isolate the issue, ie hardtop or some other culprit
Should be easy to check the weather stripping as the top is currently on its storage rack which puts the interior side right in your face.

We occaisionally get rain around here in the summer and the trunk never got wet so it would stand to reason that the problem would be related to the hard top. Thanks for the suggestions,

Loren

Last edited by wa325cic330i; 02-09-2013 at 01:32 PM.
wa325cic330i is offline   Reply With Quote