E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
gzagenius

My Ride: 01 m3
Send a message via AIM to gzagenius
Please help: 01 m3 misfire.

After 2 days if driving though snow in ny my car suddenly sounds like its got misfire upon start-up. (Keep in mind it was running fine 2 hours ago). So i check out the codes and p1348,p1350 and p1351 show up!!!. I read that its a cylinder 4 and 5 that have misfire. Now can that happen to both cylinders at once? And does anyone have experience with this. Im hopeless and counting on this forum like i always successfully do. So i need advice, could it have been the cold? Driving though snow? A recent oil change i did wrong(doubtful)?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
You're camshaft timing could be off. You could possibly need a valve adjustment. Or your vanos could be having trouble. Not to scare you but driving in the snow could be a little harder on your vanos because of the frequent changes in torque transfers and rpms rising/falling unusually. Not to be a jerk but just cuz bmws are good in snow doesn't mean an m3 should be driven in the snow. But it's just the way I see it. Anyway, search the internet for symptoms of vanos failure and see if you're experiencing any. It could just be 2 bad spark plugs or ignition coils. Good luck
2002topasblueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
gzagenius

Thanks for your input, i meaning to get a wrangler soon but unfortunately for now my m3 is my daily driver. I will check the coils and the plugs tomorrow but plugs were changed 2 years ago...
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002topasblueM3 View Post
Not to be a jerk but just cuz bmws are good in snow doesn't mean an m3 should be driven in the snow. But it's just the way I see it.
This is stupid, an m3 with winter tires will beast the snow.

Op, check your ignition coils. I'd be willing to bet money it's them. It's not unheard of to have two go at once.
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
gzagenius

Ok il def hope thats it and check it tomorrow, anything to look for to see how its a bad coil?.
Ps the m3 with blizzacks really is a champ in snow, just feel bad for the car considering the height.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
2002topasblueM3

Jhaurimn yes Im not disagreeing with the fact that they're good in snow. I specifically said bmws are good in the snow. But like I said that doesn't mean an m3 should be driven in the snow that's not what they're meant for. Why do you think a majority of m3s going up for resale say "never seen snow"? You don't exactly want to put an m3 in the snow because it can wear parts faster and increase chances of rust. If you want to drive your m3 in snow then be my guest I'm not telling anyone not to and I'm not belittling the op for doing it. I was simply saying its not the best idea because of various reasons.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
api

My Ride: 03 M3 6-spd
OP, do you have a code reader or a way to clear your codes? If so, clear the codes and swap your 4 & 5 coil packs with the ones in 1 & 2. Start the car again and see if the misfire shows up on 1 & 2 now. If it does, you have two bad coilpacks.

If your codes are still faulting on cylinder 4 &5, then I would look at other things.

I had 3 coil packs go bad all at the same time. It is not uncommon for the coilpacks to fail and I would personally start there.

MODS: 03 M3, 6MT, PSS9, AFE Intake, Euro Ceramic Coated Headers, El Diablo Exhaust, Turner Motorsports Rear Adjustable Camber Arms, AKG Diff and Subframe bushings, PowerFlex suspension bushings, Sub-frame Reinforcement, 18'x9' square setup & one driver that grins ear to ear everytime he is driving it
api is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
gzagenius

Thanks guys ive tested that cylinder 5 is shut off probly from coil n will do testing tomorrow, hope its the coil.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002topasblueM3 View Post
Jhaurimn yes Im not disagreeing with the fact that they're good in snow. I specifically said bmws are good in the snow. But like I said that doesn't mean an m3 should be driven in the snow that's not what they're meant for. Why do you think a majority of m3s going up for resale say "never seen snow"? You don't exactly want to put an m3 in the snow because it can wear parts faster and increase chances of rust. If you want to drive your m3 in snow then be my guest I'm not telling anyone not to and I'm not belittling the op for doing it. I was simply saying its not the best idea because of various reasons.
The funny thing is...I have my m3 stored away for winter :shifty:

But when they made the car it was tested in both warm and cold climate which makes the statement that it's not what it's meant for isn't entirely correct, but I guess they mostly are for nice dry days at tracks and whatnot. The days where it snows and they put salt out then it warms up and turns everything to slush is what sucks most about winter.

op, did it end up being a coil?
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???

Last edited by jhaurimn; 02-16-2013 at 08:21 AM.
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
CroVlado

My Ride: 2004 MB BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to CroVlado
+1 coil packs. they can go at any moment. happened to me. was just driving and all of a sudden misfire. took it home hooked up to INPA, read codes, misfire. swapped coils and misfire followed to cylinder i swapped coil to.. easy fix. get a new coil and replace. done. hopefully that's all it is.

| 04 Mystic Blue M3 | 07 White R6 |

MY LAGUNA SECA BLUE INTERIOR DYE PROJECT
CroVlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
2002topasblueM3

Jhaurimn I agree. Like I said they can definitely handle the snow. All I was saying was that personally I feel like it would be best to avoid the snow that's all. I don't drive mine in the snow. I drive in the winter but not if there's any snow. But that's just me. Drive on!! Lol