E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
DIY Rear Camera input OEM Monitor

Hi Everyone, decided to make this DIY as i had to piece it together from other threads involving dynavins, av inputs and headunit swapping.

Firstly, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS AND MY ADVICE IS ONLY TAKEN AS ADVICE....NOTHING MORE. Good Luck

So Firstly, the components:
-Av Input harness for factory inputs or if your creative, use the pinout guide Click image for larger version

Name:	pinout.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	448948[IMG] This Harness
- An Ebay Camera
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-28 at 9.50.47 AM.png
Views:	456
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	448947
(took me 2 attempts and this is the best so far *required a little dremmeling to get a nice fit
[URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/150785644470?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649"]This Camera
- Extra electrical wire
- T-20 Socket

So, making sure that your camera is NTSC (unless you have navcoder to change the input) will make this task a lot quicker than my install 4 weeks total due to my stupidity of jumping on a cheap buy

Follow my other DIY of installing the Av Harness Here

Step 1)
Take off the inner boot (trunk) lining
This is a must as you will be routing the av and trigger wire through here.

Step 2)
Removing the boot grab handle with the 4x T-20 screws, gently pull it off.....you might need a little force as 10 years of grime can be quite adhesive

Step 3)
Remove the connector to the boot latch and license plate lights (trick with a tiny flat blade screw driver, wedge it in slightly and twist it up gently to allow it to slide out because the little plastic nub is quite brittle

DO NOT CLOSE YOUR BOOT OR YOUR FVCKED, PUT SOMETHING TO PREVENT IT FROM CLOSING LIKE A TRIPOD I HAD LAYING IN MY BOOT

Fun Part...

Step 4)
Take out the bayonet bulb and pry open, its surrounded by the foam gasket (carefully to retain the top cover which needs to be broke off its melted plastic rivets)

Step 5)
Disconnect the cabling and remove the bracket housing the bulb

Name:	license plate light connectors.JPG
Views:	1692
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	448957

Step 6)
Test fit the camera and dremmel where required to ensure an adequate fit.

Step 7)
Connect the license plate bulb wiring to the new led one on the camera with solder and heat shrink ( there are two ground wires so use a multi meter to find them)

Name:	Solder license.JPG
Views:	1722
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	448958

Step 8)
Cover it back with the top cover and a dab of some super glue to hold the wires in tight

Step 9)
Feed the wires through first before reconnecting the handle grab, including through the little circular whole where the trunk release adn license plate light cable and connector feeds through.

Name:	Av cable and trigger.JPG
Views:	1698
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	448961

Step 10)
Solder with heat shrink the cameras pos and neg to the reverse light on the right hand side of the car as this is near the rubber wire tube. (does not cause bulb out as it requires so little electricity to operate)Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse bulb.JPG
Views:	1549
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	448954

Step 11)
Cut off the av connector plug and feed it with the electrical wire that acts as a trigger down toward the rubber tube.

Name:	Routing the Cables.JPG
Views:	1594
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	448959

Step 12)
Trick with this install is instead of going down through the top of the tube; get a firm blunt wire (rc car antenna is best) and start fondling the rubber tube to make it through the twists and turns of the grommets. Then once it comes through the top, tape the av cable to it first NOT WITH TRIGGER WIRE and gently pull it through, easing the wire through as it could damage the cars wiring if not being gentle.

Step 13)
When av cable is through, tape the trigger wire to the av cable and pull it through gently, one cable first makes it easier as opposed to doing both and causing too much traffic in the rubber tube.

Name:	draping the cables.JPG
Views:	1610
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	448960

Step 14)
Route it through to the other side of the trunk where the tv tuner is, dad and i found that it is easiest to take the wheel spare hatch off and run it along the back where the carpet starts.

Step 15)
Connect up the relay with the trigger wire

Name:	relay.JPG
Views:	1590
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	448955
from this thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=relay+camera

Step 16)
Find a grounding point, dad used the factory ground point of the tuner

Step 17)
Re Install the av plug (Or connect pin out to camera av)Click image for larger version

Name:	soldering av input.JPG
Views:	1517
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	448953

Step 18)
Plug it in to camera input pin or plug

Step 19)
Turn key to on position, not starting the car and put it in reverse gear to see behind you

Name:	finished product.JPG
Views:	1570
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	448956

Name:	rear cam.JPG
Views:	1738
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	448962
Put the trunk lining back together and your done, no more reversing over small animals or gnomes.
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Nice one. I donate you an alternative wiring diagram I used. This way you don't need to feed the trigger wire through the rubber grommet at all, since it's available from the NAV unit.
My thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=898286

BTW is yours really a CCD camera? I ordered one from ebay marked as CCD but it was really just a CMOS. Guy offered me 50% refund
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CameraWiring.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	449270  

Last edited by PeteAU; 04-29-2012 at 12:05 AM.
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
JS330

im fairly certain its a ccd, its very clear at night

how do u tell?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
im fairly certain its a ccd, its very clear at night

how do u tell?
Hard to say, this is how I know mine isn't.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1739.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	449281  
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
Shonky

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
DO NOT CLOSE YOUR BOOT OR YOUR FVCKED, PUT SOMETHING TO PREVENT IT FROM CLOSING LIKE A TRIPOD I HAD LAYING IN MY BOOT
You realise you can open the boot with a key even if the wiring is disconnected (or for example the battery is flat)?
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
JS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
You realise you can open the boot with a key even if the wiring is disconnected (or for example the battery is flat)?
Nope didn't occur to me, just didn't want to make a stupid mistake in case of the worst
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
shook

My Ride: E46 328ci
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Rever...item4aa622788d

How's that camera look?
shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
JS330

Looks alright, just measure the license plate light to make 100% sure

I went through 2 cams before I got the right one haha
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
deadlysyns

My Ride: 2004 M3
I attempted to install a back up camera based on the TV input white/blue plug. When I pulled the dvd navigation drive, I found a blue/red plug.

deadlysyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #10
JS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlysyns View Post
I attempted to install a back up camera based on the TV input white/blue plug. When I pulled the dvd navigation drive, I found a blue/red plug.

I'm fairly certain you can't achieve a rear camera input without the tv module

I may be wrong but I don't know the Pinout for the red harness
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
x13atma17x

My Ride: E46 323i & MK6 Jetta
How did you run the cable(s) from the head unit to the trunk?
Just got a D99+ and thinking of adding this rear-cam feature. My concern is where or how will I feed/run the cable to the back.

x13atma17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
JS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by x13atma17x View Post
How did you run the cable(s) from the head unit to the trunk?
Just got a D99+ and thinking of adding this rear-cam feature. My concern is where or how will I feed/run the cable to the back.
Mines OEM headunit with television function so I just needed to route the cables to the tv tuner next to the nav drive in the trunk......

you can route the cables however down through the rear seats (pull up the rear seat) and under the carpet to near your handbrake under the center console and through to the rear of the dynavin however
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Nice DIY
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
JS330

Hi Everyone, decided to make this DIY as i had to piece it together from other threads involving dynavins, av inputs and headunit swapping.

Firstly, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS AND MY ADVICE IS ONLY TAKEN AS ADVICE....NOTHING MORE. Good Luck

So Firstly, the components:
-Av Input harness for factory inputs or if your creative, use the pinout guide [IMG] This Harness
- An Ebay Camera

(took me 2 attempts and this is the best so far *required a little dremmeling to get a nice fit
[URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/150785644470?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649"]This Camera
- Extra electrical wire
- T-20 Socket

So, making sure that your camera is NTSC (unless you have navcoder to change the input) will make this task a lot quicker than my install 4 weeks total due to my stupidity of jumping on a cheap buy

Follow my other DIY of installing the Av Harness Here

Step 1)
Take off the inner boot (trunk) lining
This is a must as you will be routing the av and trigger wire through here.

Step 2)
Removing the boot grab handle with the 4x T-20 screws, gently pull it off.....you might need a little force as 10 years of grime can be quite adhesive

Step 3)
Remove the connector to the boot latch and license plate lights (trick with a tiny flat blade screw driver, wedge it in slightly and twist it up gently to allow it to slide out because the little plastic nub is quite brittle

Fun Part...

Step 4)
Take out the bayonet bulb and pry open, its surrounded by the foam gasket (carefully to retain the top cover which needs to be broke off its melted plastic rivets)

Step 5)
Disconnect the cabling and remove the bracket housing the bulb

Step 6)
Test fit the camera and dremmel where required to ensure an adequate fit.

Step 7)
Connect the license plate bulb wiring to the new led one on the camera with solder and heat shrink ( there are two ground wires so use a multi meter to find them)

Step 8)
Cover it back with the top cover and a dab of some super glue to hold the wires in tight

Step 9)
Feed the wires through first before reconnecting the handle grab, including through the little circular whole where the trunk release adn license plate light cable and connector feeds through.

Step 10)
Solder with heat shrink the cameras pos and neg to the reverse light on the right hand side of the car as this is near the rubber wire tube. (does not cause bulb out as it requires so little electricity to operate)

Step 11)
Cut off the av connector plug and feed it with the electrical wire that acts as a trigger down toward the rubber tube.

Step 12)
Trick with this install is instead of going down through the top of the tube; get a firm blunt wire (rc car antenna is best) and start fondling the rubber tube to make it through the twists and turns of the grommets. Then once it comes through the top, tape the av cable to it first NOT WITH TRIGGER WIRE and gently pull it through, easing the wire through as it could damage the cars wiring if not being gentle.

Step 13)
When av cable is through, tape the trigger wire to the av cable and pull it through gently, one cable first makes it easier as opposed to doing both and causing too much traffic in the rubber tube.

Step 14)
Route it through to the other side of the trunk where the tv tuner is, dad and i found that it is easiest to take the wheel spare hatch off and run it along the back where the carpet starts.

Step 15)
Connect up the relay with the trigger wire

from this thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=relay+camera

Step 16)
Find a grounding point, dad used the factory ground point of the tuner

Step 17)
Re Install the av plug (Or connect pin out to camera av)

Step 18)
Plug it in to camera input pin or plug

Step 19)
Turn key to on position, not starting the car and put it in reverse gear to see behind you

Put the trunk lining back together and your done, no more reversing over small animals or gnomes.