E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
bmdubalicious

My Ride: 03 325i
I've done 80% of everything SamDoe1 mentioned and I just crossed 150k. I know you want to mod, but I modded and maintained simultaneously (expensive, dont recommend it lol) and I dont regret spending a penny. Both necessary and worth it.
BMWCCA Member #461128

2003 Jet Black 325i ZPP, ZCW
Mods: P46's with Orion V2's | Cosmos Racing Cold Air Intake | UUC Underdrive Pullies | H&R/Koni | Staggered Style 119's | Clear Corners/Sidemarkers/Tails | Bimmerbrakes Stoptech Slotted Brake Upgrade | BimmerBrakes Headers | Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
Soon to Come: Shark Injector
bmdubalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #22
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Agree with you. Too much ragging on people who want ideas on mods, not a lecture on maintenance.
What is 'mods' anyway? Plastic stuff that you stick on the car? Are they to make other people know how cool you really are? Or you want to go faster?

There are only a few common 'mods' that will make you faster. Diffs or tranny swap, motor work/SC, headers/race cats and suspension. The rest is maintenance/repair or plastic stuff that you stick on the car.

If the car doesn't need any maintenance, start with lightweight wheels and top rated tires. Then the rest of the suspension and exhaust. Then you can actually say the car is faster and handles better than before it was ragged on by a stranger for 130k miles with 15k mile oil changes.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
NukeMiller

My Ride: 2005 325i
If you have a car with 130K and you have only done oil changes at 15K intervals, I'm calling BS! These engines (or any engine at that) will not last that long with that kind of upkeep...Notice how before BMW came out with the "Free" maintanence program, they recomended every 3-5K, but now its 15K? everything would be gunked up by now and VANOS would not even work...As far as mods go, you can mod and maintain at the same time...he said stuff about suspension and whatnot....So replace shocks and springs with some nice bilstien ones...this will help performance in the turns and make it look good as it is lowered...definately change out the control arm bushings...use polyurathane or at the min the heavy duty ones...they go quickly...about your o2 sensors; buy a K+DCAN cable for 35 bucks, download BMW Standard tools, and then buy headers....you can delete your after cat O2 sensors...may still need to replace before cats though...You get the picture now
NukeMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ I agree with you...but OP asked for inexpensive mods.

OP, no offense but are you in high school? If so, take some advice from someone not that old (I'm 27) and don't mod your car unless you are going to get some performance out of it. I modded the hell out of my Accord in high school and I now feel like a total dumbass because of it and I assure you I'm not the only one with that feeling.

Like Kubica said, start with some good tires and light wheels. That will basically add some free performance. Then when it's time to replace suspension (don't throw away a working suspension...), go with upgraded parts.

No one is saying don't mod, just do the important stuff first so you don't end up with no money and a broken car.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
White_Knuckles

I change oil around the 5-6K mark for my reasons but believe the extended life oil does work. BMW didn't trick us with their specification and recommended interval to weasel out of servicing the car free or not. Gas powered fleet services (cabs trucks) are using the same 15K marker and not sludging up or destroying engines.

It's hard to accept but is believable someone could run 130K on factory recommended intervals and have a tight engine. The VANOS issue is related to the seals not oil breaking down. Perhaps the "free maintenance program" was before LL rated synthetics were born?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #26
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
start with some good tires and light wheels
Then sign up for a DE at www.motorsportreg.com and post photos to facebook. High school panties will be dropping everywhere.

Last edited by Kubica; 02-07-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Link
Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #27
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
You guys are jumping off topic. It's an xi meaning that it requires more maintenance than the 2wd counterparts. Your mileage isn't crazy but it is over 100k which means lots of parts are reaching their limits & should be changed as preventative maintenance. If you'd rather wait for the part to fail, so be it. Like someone else posted, I mod & maintain simultaneously but highly advise against it. It does get expensive (even though I do all my own work).
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
It's hard to accept but is believable someone could run 130K on factory recommended intervals and have a tight engine. The VANOS issue is related to the seals not oil breaking down. Perhaps the "free maintenance program" was before LL rated synthetics were born?
I totally think it's plausible if not even likely, that a car could run for 130k on factory service intervals without the engine imploding. BMW aren't morons and they don't want their reputation scored by grenaded engines and failing drive trains.

The thing I don't find plausible is that nothing requiring work has happened in 130k miles... In addition, the water pump and thermostat should be changed out at ~100k or 110k at the most simply for peace of mind. Not to mention the supposed "lifetime" driveline fluids which, for the record, I don't believe.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #29
Kubica

I bet 80-90% of BMWs only ever get 15k mile oil changes these days. It's a business decision for BMW, not a miracle of engineering.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #30
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I bet 80-90% of BMWs only ever get 15k mile oil changes these days. It's a business decision for BMW, not a miracle of engineering.
^^ Yes, and definitely in its first few months of life under the warranty service period. You can't deny "miracle" oil is legit?

The MINI Cooper (BMW) crowd runs 'em out to 15K and swaps filters at 7K. Their forums are contrary to this one where they are believers. Me? Not so much.

Sorry, off topic for sure.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 02-07-2013 at 10:57 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #31
Elsamo

My Ride: 2004 325 Ci
I'm sure many people would not agree but depending on the exterior color I think the OEM mudflaps can look really cool on an xi sedan:

But be sure to change the flap fluid every 7k miles.
Elsamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #32
o3BMW325xi

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi ZSP
It seems like people are too much into the "prevention" maintenance than the "required" maintenance. To me a required maintenance is what the manual says...an yes some of you call it a bS but i call it as is...seen plenty of 3 and 5 series with original t-case fluids, trans fluids and diff fluids as high as 250k miles...all this talk but I yet have to see some kind of result or investigation of these life time fluids after they have been drained? Anyone has done this? Its easy to say ohh yeah its bad becsaue its BLACK..really? Oil turning black has nothing to do with it being good or bad, but these are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping dirt, and other combustion contaminants in suspension...
IMO e46 powertrain is pretty solid and thats all it matters other small stuff why fix it if its not broke...

To the OP making this cars fast would be a waste of money, you want fast car get an M3 if you want to stay in the BMW family or get something else. As far as apperance wise keep it clean with some nice wheels and a nice front lip/spoiler
o3BMW325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by o3BMW325xi View Post
It seems like people are too much into the "prevention" maintenance than the "required" maintenance. To me a required maintenance is what the manual says...an yes some of you call it a bS but i call it as is...seen plenty of 3 and 5 series with original t-case fluids, trans fluids and diff fluids as high as 250k miles...all this talk but I yet have to see some kind of result or investigation of these life time fluids after they have been drained? Anyone has done this? Its easy to say ohh yeah its bad becsaue its BLACK..really? Oil turning black has nothing to do with it being good or bad, but these are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping dirt, and other combustion contaminants in suspension...
IMO e46 powertrain is pretty solid and thats all it matters other small stuff why fix it if its not broke...
There have been oil analysis done for the drive line fluids. Google is your friend on that one. Additionally, BMW did change their mind and say that you should change your transmission fluid at ~100k. Additionally, yes the point of oil is to keep contaminants in suspension but there is a saturation point where the oil is now more abrasive due to the contaminants than lubricating. That is why you change it.

As for why fix if it's not broke...because it costs much more than the $30-$50 in fluid to fix a broken diff/TC/transmission.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these cars are cheap to maintain and very expensive to fix.

Good luck OP, that's where I stand on this issue.

Tags
#325xi, #bmw, #e46