E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #61
Neego325cibmw
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Need Help Asap/ Projector Fog Question?

ok guys i have projector fogs that i am trying to install i have a m3 front bumper they are going in, the stock connecxtion is the 9006 bulb and the ones im trying to install are the h3 bulbs with thye ebay projectors, what do i do with the connection from the car? do i just splice the wires and install these fogs or i am going to get a warning light come up, or is there a stock connection for the h3 projector fogs from the m tech bumber or something i can purchase..does anybody have pics of them installinmg these projector fogs?

thanks guys and help would be appreciated
Neego325cibmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #62
stylin8o8

My Ride: 2005 330CI ZHP
so i am confused. the projectors with the hids are brighter, than the oem m-tech fogs with hids?
stylin8o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #63
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
it's the same brightness. the only difference is the light spread. just put them in your fogs without the projectors. trust me, i've been there, the projectors make it worst for visibility (just looks cooler) if you want to use your fogs the way they were made to be used.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #64
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylin8o8 View Post
so i am confused. the projectors with the hids are brighter, than the oem m-tech fogs with hids?
maybe slightly(more appearance). it may be because the projector is a domed magnifier glass it goes through. but mainly it's just more focused. think of a large Maglite. When you twist the top and focus the light pattern it appears brighter. Compared to the wide spread that's scattered everywhere. Fog light pattern is spread wide and low mostly, but with no cut-off shield it'll even lights up the trees. These projectors are more a "driving light" pattern.

If you are using mostly for a non-foggy night time street light, projector fogs are the way to go.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #65
stylin8o8

My Ride: 2005 330CI ZHP
oh ok great thanks guys appreciate it
stylin8o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #66
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Is there any way to aim projector fogs out to the sides further? Before a raccoon destroyed half my bumper, my old fogs used to be really nice to light up the side of the road, where various animals like to hide.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #67
sillieidiot

^ nope, that's the disadvantage of projector fogs. they make it so the fogs become useless lol

Old 10-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #68
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
^ nope, that's the disadvantage of projector fogs. they make it so the fogs become useless lol

Wish I could install one set of each with out it looking ridiculous...

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Old 10-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #69
sillieidiot

lol yea. i just took mines out and use the normal fogs. they work so much better. one day, i'll probably retrofit some projectors in there that are made to be fogs, not generic ebay halogen projectors.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #70
jneumann

Considering a s2k or TSX retrofit, for a wider beam/ability to adjust them to the sides more?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #71
sillieidiot

nope. none of those will fit. those projectors are huge (that's why they are superior vs. ours). the s2k won't even fit our headlights without heavy modification lol

i'll probably try the mini bosch projectors. those are made for fogs.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #72
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
nope. none of those will fit. those projectors are huge (that's why they are superior vs. ours). the s2k won't even fit our headlights without heavy modification lol

i'll probably try the mini bosch projectors. those are made for fogs.
I am actually planning on retrofitting new projectors to my P46 set, as I am not happy with the light output vs the bi-xenons in my uncle's e60. The s2k projectors are smaller than the TSX projectors and iirc, are only ~.2" wider than stock e46 projectors. I bet I could cram my old p46 projectors in a diy fog bracket for my M-tech II bumper, pointed more out to the sides. The fog light hole in the bracket is pretty big...

Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #73
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
I am actually planning on retrofitting new projectors to my P46 set, as I am not happy with the light output vs the bi-xenons in my uncle's e60. The s2k projectors are smaller than the TSX projectors and iirc, are only ~.2" wider than stock e46 projectors. I bet I could cram my old p46 projectors in a diy fog bracket for my M-tech II bumper, pointed more out to the sides. The fog light hole in the bracket is pretty big...
they are better because it's OEM and it's made for xenons (the p46s are made for halogens), and they are bigger projectors vs. your p46s.

no they are not. the lense is smaller. but the projector itself (bowls + lense) is huge. it's like the size of a softball lol the tsx projectors (smaller than s2k) are even bigger than our e46 projectors still, but by a little. so you're more likely to fit those than the s2k.

i wouldn't bother with the p46 projectors. those are the same crappy ones that are in the projector fogs essentially, just in a different form factor.

all the really good like top of the line projectors are huge. that's why they are so good.

but you can buy all the projectors and check it out yourself if you don't believe me lol.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #74
Bert336

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
I currently have an Aftermarket 5k HID kit in my fogs, i never really knew how they looked at night until my wife drove the car home one day and she was following me and i now completely understand the reason for projectors, the light output when driving is better than OEM bulbs but its too spread out and could disturb oncoming drivers. I Just ordered my fogs and i am still debating weather to go with 5k bulbs again or try the 3k's. I would like to see more pics from the folks who have done this project already and see what temp. bulbs you used. On a side note i will need to get my self motivated enough to do the retrofit on my ZKW headlights!

Thanks for this great DIY!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #75
Dippinwandy

My Ride: 325i
I just learned so much from this thread.. It should get bumped !
Dippinwandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #76
erickrayos

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
this thread helped me putting together the HID fog lights in my projector fog lights. bump for a helpful thread xD
erickrayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #77
erickrayos

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
sorry for the double post, I just started to have this events randomly happen. when I turn on my HID Fog lights the time/miles counter resets just like how it would happen when you take off the battery from the car. but other than that happening randomly (maybe once every 10-20 times I turn it on) no other problems. just wanna make sure if there's something I can do to prevent that from happening.
erickrayos is offline   Reply With Quote