E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
csa714

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Iphone/pod integration into stereo cost...

YES - i have read the wiki

I have a 2004 330. That being said - I want to hear what your experiences and costs have been. I am not mechanically inclined and most of my DIY stuff looks like crap. Last time I tried to spray paint something I pressed the nozzle and painted my hand, chest and neck.... I will be hiring someone to do this so save the DIY guilt trip please!

I have $500. Will it cover professional installation, maybe even adding bluetooth? ( i have wiring according to my trunk)

I would appreciate your $0.02 as to:

1) Your system and costs
2) Where you placed the phone, jack etc. pics would be great
3) Anything to avoid (systems that don't work)

Thanks all.
csa714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
sishac

My Ride: BMW 300cic & 65 Ford
I thought about an integrated system for a while...initially I was just going to get an ipod and put it in the trunk where it would charge and I would have access to it via the head unit like I would a 5 disc changer...I looked at all of the options, and every one of them seemed to have downsides that I didn't like. Eventually I ended up buying a $40 BMW aux-in cable and just pulling the dash apart and installing it myself. I put the plug in the cigarette tray, and bought a charger that incorporates a plug off of ebay for $10..this way it charges and playthe the ipod/iphone through the bottom charging port (not the 3.5mm headphone plug) The only down side to this is that I can't control the music via my steering wheel, I have to actually look on the ipod. I would say that 99% of the time this isn't an issue, as I just put a song on and let things progress naturally. I would consider this the easy way....
sishac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
bloodredbimmer

My Ride: 01 330Ci 5MT
Look into the Dice Mediabridge, you can get iPod and iPhone integration via the USB cable or Bluetooth. It's a about $250 and if you're not too good with DIY I'm sure you can find a shop with experience on bimmers to figure it out. With this you would have full functionality of your steering wheel controls. I think it's the biggest bang for your buck. Mostly because of the Bluetooth
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
csa714

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Thanks guys - local shop wants to intall Pioneer stereo with bluetooth and iphone integration built in - about $400 -

It would be clean - but I hate the way the aftermarket stereos have all of the colors and gaudy graphics. the bene would be the face lifts off if I leave the top down etc.

I also read on this forum that placing an aftermarket stereo may screw up diagnostics...

Anyway - tnx
csa714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
redde44bimmer

My Ride: 2004 Bmw 325ci
Dice Mediabridge is a great option to go, but I don't have any pics on the final install as to I don't have the Mediabridge yet that I ordered from Autotoys.com back in January 21 do to the fact that they don't carry the product in hand and have a preorder status only. Today is February 12 and yesterday I emailed them for any info on my order and there response is they don't and if I would like to cancel or keep on waiting until it ships for any shipping info. I will still be waiting until is ships and until then when I do receive it I will take some pics and how it works.
redde44bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
ragtop69

My Ride: 2004 bmw 330 conv.
I have an 04 330 also. I upgraded the TCU to a newer version ( I think it was $340 at tischer) and added the antenna and bracket to get the full OEM bluetooth- it works great and utilizes the steering wheel buttons. If you want voice activation as well, it just needs to be coded in the new TCU. For the Ipod connection, I bought the USA SPEC adapter. It plugs into your CD changer plug in the trunk (I didnot have a CD changer). I hid the box behind the rear seat and ran the wire/connector between the drivers seat and console. The sound quality is great.
ragtop69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I have the Parrot for bluetooth, Connects2 for integration into the steering column (I think Parrot now makes a kit), and an older DICE that handles Ipod. Now you can have all in one, such as the MediaBridge, which wasn't out when I outfitted my car. We took out the OEM mic in the steering column and ran the Parrot mic there, which works great and you don't have a separate mic hanging out.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
gorgerax

My Ride: 2004 M3
Mediabridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodredbimmer View Post
Look into the Dice Mediabridge, you can get iPod and iPhone integration via the USB cable or Bluetooth. It's a about $250 and if you're not too good with DIY I'm sure you can find a shop with experience on bimmers to figure it out. With this you would have full functionality of your steering wheel controls. I think it's the biggest bang for your buck. Mostly because of the Bluetooth
My recommendation is to stay away from the Mediabridge. (Actually now its the "Audiovox; driven by Dice Electronics Mediabridge) I've had 3 in the last year and all three have failed in way way or the other. The first one lasted @ 2-3 months before it crapped out and the other two had issues right away (Only one channel worked, would not pair, etc.

I was in a local car stereo shop in Portland last week looking for other options to have bluetooth and to integrate with the steering wheel controls. I noticed they were an Audiovox dealer and was surprised the sales guy never mentioned or suggested the Mediabridge. The owner came over and said he had sold 6 units and ended up "buying back" 4 of them.

YMMV
gorgerax is offline   Reply With Quote