E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
BAMAXXX

My Ride: 323
Exclamation Help!! Turn signal indicators acting sporadic!!

This is the deal, when I push the lever to turn right the inside dash indicator turns on and the lights outside work. When it returns to neutral outside lights stop but inside dash indicator keeps going. Sometimes it stops after a while sometimes I have to flick the high beams on. Then the highbeam indicator stays on.

When I turn the lights on ( for night time), it seems like everything works like it suppose to but some times the radio, and dash car monitor system will become dimmer or brighter at random intervals.

Anyone have any ideas?

Only this recent installed was a dice ipod and a sub in the back.

thanks!
BAMAXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Try unhooking the dice. The dice interfaces over the k-bus, which the turn signals are part of. From what I have seen, there are a fair number of threads in which someone reports a problem with a k-bus device and has a dice product. Not saying thats it, but it seems that I have seen this a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAXXX View Post
This is the deal, when I push the lever to turn right the inside dash indicator turns on and the lights outside work. When it returns to neutral outside lights stop but inside dash indicator keeps going. Sometimes it stops after a while sometimes I have to flick the high beams on. Then the highbeam indicator stays on.

When I turn the lights on ( for night time), it seems like everything works like it suppose to but some times the radio, and dash car monitor system will become dimmer or brighter at random intervals.

Anyone have any ideas?

Only this recent installed was a dice ipod and a sub in the back.

thanks!

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
BAMAXXX

I'm not familiar with a k-bus.....
Old 03-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
Mine does that also it turned out to be the the tail light shorting it out for some reason.
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
BAMAXXX

What did you do to fix it?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
bwallace530

Look in your tail light housing, I had a burnt out corroded wire and it was making my turn signal go crazy so i cleaned it up and re secured the wire back and it has not came back yet. But this might not even be your problem, its worth a look cuz it was free to fix.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
bwallace530

u get it fixed
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
BAMAXXX

Were you tail lights acting up? Mine are working fine? I don't see any reason to check anything.... (tail lights related)
Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #9
bwallace530

I just thought that you would like to know that sense a bad ground in tail light was causing my electrical system to go hay wire but was only effecting my blinkers

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
BAMAXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallace530 View Post
I just thought that you would like to know that sense a bad ground in tail light was causing my electrical system to go hay wire but was only effecting my blinkers

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Were your interior dash lights corresponding properly?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #11
bwallace530

No they were blinking fast
Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #12
BAMAXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallace530 View Post
No they were blinking fast
Did they stay on when you turned the signal off?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It seems like the turnstalk, just since you seem to be able to control its malfunction to some extent.

I don't believe there's a relay in the system, per se, but that it's built in the LCM.

But, believing in proximate causes and the dangers of after market electronics, I like the idea of backing out of your recent install and see what you end up with.

Power might have been pulled from some random place that wasn't good for the car, or just done incorrectly. We're very electronically sensitive, didn't you know?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
bwallace530

Your ground for the amp is probably not grounded right. This has happened to me many times with other cars I have had in the past. Or you power for your amp it pulling from a wrong wire, causing this to happen.

You should just redo your install check everything out before you burn out a wire and cause a huge electrical problem just to be safe.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #15
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
It seems like the turnstalk, just since you seem to be able to control its malfunction to some extent.
Turn signal indicator on the dash not responding properly is a classic k-bus problem. Same with the high beam indicator. Communication on the k-bus is getting screwed up and something on the bus is screwing it up. The DICE unit talks to the radio over guess what, the K-Bus. Remove the damn DICE unit and most likely your problems will go away.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
merisel8

My Ride: 2000 328i
I have a 00' 328i, my turn signals are not flashing in on the dash and there is no clicking sound. The turn signals work on the outside of the car. The four way flasher works but no clicking sound. There is another electrical issue also; the dashboard lights stay on for 2 seconds after the car is off. Help!!!
merisel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #17
Relaxoman

My Ride: 330ci
My dashboard indicates that my front, right turn signal lamp was out. Bought the bulb, replaced the old with the new and the problem persist. Dashboard indicates its out And still does not work. Is there a fuse or something I can chase down?
Relaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
msli_bmw330xi

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Relaxoman, I have the same problem. Just replaced the part 30 minutes ago, and still not working. Have you figured it out yet?

Msli
msli_bmw330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Relaxoman

My Ride: 330ci
Nope. Still not working. Guessing ill have to chase electrical system.
Relaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights dice ipod