E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
M3B4U

My Ride: e46 m3
My Battery keeps dying for no reason??

Don't know why my battery on bmw e46 m3 keeps dying on me when I don't drive my car for 2 day. Can somebody can help me
M3B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
YYCBMW

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3B4U View Post
Don't know why my battery on bmw e46 m3 keeps dying on me when I don't drive my car for 2 day. Can somebody can help me
Have your alternator checked. It's relatively cheap to do. Also, if it's an old battery, over 5 years, they can often times die, even if you haven't had any previous issues over the 5 years. My battery has been fine since 2005, so obviously it's not all batteries...

Also if you have drained that battery more than twice, typically batteries don't hold a charge worth crap after.

hope that helps!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
M3B4U

I only had my battery for a year. Okay thanks ill check
Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
YYCBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3B4U View Post
I only had my battery for a year. Okay thanks ill check
I forgot to mention that you should have your battery checked because if the battery is fine, then that opens up a whole slew of other problems it could be.
Good luck!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
Bmill160

My Ride: 2001 M3 Vert
Just went through this..

Where do you live? I travel a lot for work and regularly leave the car sitting M-F. Two weeks ago it was below 10 all week and when i got back the car wouldn't start but had power to run locks, lights, etc.

Can you drive around for 45+ minutes without problems? If so, google how to use the dash test on your alternator. The battery should be 12v+ with the car off, 13.7+ with it on. If both the above are true, probably not the alternator..

Next test the battery. Either take it to Autozone and they'll test for free, or if the battery isn't fully charged they'll want to charge it first before testing. Either give it to them for an hour or take it out and throw a trickle charger on the posts over night.

Let the battery sit (out of the car) for a day or two once charged and then drop it in and test it. If it works, you're good and it was just cold weather. If it doesn't, your battery isn't holding a charge and is cooked.

Last scenario is bad. If you charge it and let it sit and it goes in and works, the battery is fine. If it dies again after a day or two, you are leaking voltage and have a real problem.

Best of luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
///M3 VERT, COLD AIR INTAKE, CF FRONT SPLITTERS, HALO PROJECTORS WITH CLEAR CORNERS, 15MMFx12MMR SPACERS, FRONT STRUT BRACE, ROGUE ENGINEERING POWER PULLEY KIT, BLACKED OUT KIDNEY / SIDE GRILLS, SILICONE INTAKE BOOT, ///M-STITCH SHIFT BOOT / HANDBRAKE BOOT, MEGAN RACE EXHAUST, ZHP SHIFT KNOB

Last edited by Bmill160; 02-14-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Bmill160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
M3B4U

Just went and check my battery an they said it my alternator that I need to change. Thank you
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
YYCBMW

Did they test the alternator though? They can test it while in your car. That's good news (sort of) if its only your alternator.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Qstackfield

My Ride: 02 M3 Vert
I woke up one morning and my battery in my Xi was dead, charged it and didn't think much of it.
Weeks later I went to the gas station, filled it up went to start and it was dead again. (Got a jump). I then took it to have the battery tested, it was fine.
It drove fine for weeks, then it died 3 times in a week. enough is enough, I dropped it off at the garage.
They couldn't find out what was wrong with it, took it home. Then that night around 3 am I walked past the car and the fan was running. BINGO!

Long story short. The relay or resistor went bad on the radiator fan, which cased the fan to kick on at random times and drain my battery.

2002 6MT M3 Vert
2002 5MT 325 XI
2003 Lincoln Navigator

Last edited by Qstackfield; 04-15-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Qstackfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Check your battery voltage when you stop the car and then test it before you start it 2 days later to see how much voltage is lost.

Do need to take your baytery.to get charged and test first. Advance Auto parts does a great job of charging and testing It.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote