E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: How accurate are Mango's aggressive maintenance suggestions?
100% accurate 12 16.44%
Mostly accurate, a little aggressive for some 31 42.47%
Fairly accurate, underestimates mileage 11 15.07%
He doesn't know what he's talking about. 19 26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #61
chudzikb

My Ride: 04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I try to be helpful but some people insist on being downright disrespectful. How you could bash someone for promoting maintenance on a site based on E46 enthusiasm is beyond me. You don't have to do all the recommendations, it is only a guide. The more you do though, the better your car will run and more reliable it will be. Simple as that. Go as far as your wallet can take you.

Thanks to those who have kind words for me and keep on fighting the good fight!
It should be more than kind words, guys like you make places like this work. Invaluable information for those of us that think like you do, fix it once, fix it right. Thank you for you service, kind sir!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #62
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudzikb View Post
It should be more than kind words, guys like you make places like this work. Invaluable information for those of us that think like you do, fix it once, fix it right. Thank you for you service, kind sir!
You are welcome, sir!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #63
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Fckn LUL
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #64
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Who is this guy to come in here and question the hard won advice from someone who has been there and done that. Yep, Mango and I have traded barbs (who hasn't?), but he is right about his advice. So are some others. I won't vote on this one. Doing so would do nothing but insult E46Mango.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #65
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Solidjake is the Michael Jordan of maintenance, and Mango is the LeBron James. LeBron has a streak of great games (Mango has a streak of great threads) and everyone starts creating hubbub about being the best. They are both great, but MJ (SolidJake) will always be the #1. Thanks to people like SolidJake and many more other OG members, Mango has this information readily available to essentially re-iterate and reinforce. All the things you guys post has been covered many, many, many times before. First by the great Tim330i (Jerry West), then by Solidjake (MJ), then by Kpeng (Kobe Bryant), and now Mango (LeBron James). Each generation has it's best. But nobody likes watching old basketball games these days, and no one likes searching. So thus why we have this thread.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #66
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
In all seriousness, I think people find Mango's advice and suggestions overbearing and overzealous at times because he (unintentionally) exposes the fact that many BMW owners cannot actually afford to own and maintain their car in an acceptable fashion. In addition to the purchase price, if you do not have the cash outlay that will allow you to maintain your vehicle to his standards, you should truthfully consider selling your BMW and purchasing something more affordable.
I know you two are buddies but you are
I have read a lot of things in this thread but this is the most disturbing statement that I have to call out as total
My post is not anti Mango, but statements like this no wonder people are using the word "cult" in the thread.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #67
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I have read a lot of things in this thread but this is the most disturbing statement that I have to call out as total
My post is not anti Mango, but statements like this no wonder people are using the word "cult" in the thread.
I thought we were buddies too, Alex. No??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #68
Alex323Ci

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP, as Jake said, others here know stuff...Jake is one of them. There's one other guy in California that's another. We even have one in PA. I think that's it...you have four here who's advice you can take. Very disappointing out of 200K members, but what you gonna do?
That's right, I am in California.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #69
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I thought we were buddies too, Alex. No??
Yes
just don't ask me to drink the Kool Aid or bring you a valentines gift at the next cult meeting
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #70
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Yes
just don't ask me to drink the Kool Aid or bring you a valentines gift at the next cult meeting
I think you've had enough of the blue.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #71
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
He's just like the lunch aids at elementary schools during recess. He knows what's best for the kids, looks out for them, and people go to him for advice.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #72
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
I wonder who is going to bring this up next week...
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #73
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Are you able to cite a single maintenance-related example that is a "waste of money"?
Of course, but I'm not going to argue with you in a thread about you being the way you are.

Quote:
Just wondering? And sorry if I tend to speak somewhat properly. I can see how you might perceive that as "speaking as if my words are law."
I can't see how you'd miss it, since it took all of 6 minutes for you to reply and try to start a pointless argument.

Ego to a fault. Kpeng was the same way.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #74
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Of course, but I'm not going to argue with you in a thread about you being the way you are.

I can't see how you'd miss it, since it took all of 6 minutes for you to reply and try to start a pointless argument.

Ego to a fault. Kpeng was the same way.
you brought it up.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #75
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Are you planning on supporting your theory with evidence, or are you simply going to continue making rash statements, hoping others will accept them on faith?

Please address what exactly is crazy about my statement regarding what maintaining your car really means.

As I've previously stated, the vast overwhelming majority of individuals on this board who author threads asking which set of cheap coil overs are the best, or what cheap, half assed solution can bring their cooling woes to an end do not fit the target market for which our cars were designed. It's as simple as that. Allow me to restate so everyone on this board can at least try to comprehend; if you can't afford to maintain your car to a level that is equal to, if not greater than the way it performed and drove when it left the factory, go buy something else.

I find it truly stunning that members here are financing 13 year old 323s. A terrible financial decision.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #76
mkodama

LOL at the current poll results.

Quote:
+1

Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #77
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Mango's recommendations are perfectly accurate in my opinion, but remember that they are recommendations and not do or die. I can definitely vouch for the validity based on the fact that I used to work on these cars and I owned one for 8 years. If you want to minimize the chances of running into an issue that might cost a fortune or leave you stranded, his recommendations will help you do so.

If I were to take the time to compile a list of preventative maintenance recommendations and general advice for the e46, mine would read very similar to his. I think people should be thankful he took the time to do so and if you don't feel it is accurate or complete, take the information with a grain of salt an make your own judgement.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #78
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
To new users, he's not the most welcoming. To seasoned users, it's the same old same old.
I don't necessarily think he is unwelcoming, but more blunt. You have people who come on here and the first they want to do is put wheels and make everything carbon fiber, and he tends to just say things "See sig. Do it all" which I find funny, yet his guides have helped me tremendously. If people say something they don't want to hear they become aggressive and start to downplay certain things he has contributed to the forum, which I find more annoying than anything.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #79
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
Mango's recommendations are perfectly accurate in my opinion, but remember that they are recommendations and not do or die. I can definitely vouch for the validity based on the fact that I used to work on these cars and I owned one for 8 years. If you want to minimize the chances of running into an issue that might cost a fortune or leave you stranded, his recommendations will help you do so.

If I were to take the time to compile a list of preventative maintenance recommendations and general advice for the e46, mine would read very similar to his. I think people should be thankful he took the time to do so and if you don't feel it is accurate or complete, take the information with a grain of salt an make your own judgement.
Well said... apparently a lot of people are just angry/jealous for no apparent reason

Can't afford it, don't take it out on me. My recommendations/threads are only guides.

For those who can use it, awesome.

Those who don't like it, deal with it.

(Oh way to go on this anonymous "poll") I'm sure a particular sub-forum is gobbling this up

Maybe I should bump another thread so people see where actual real votes lie and who stands behind them? No hiding

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #80
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
I am pretty new here and found Mango's guide the day I joined. I went crazy replacing everything and am pretty damn happy with my car. At this point most of these cars are old and have higher mileage and a little loving never hurt anybody. I went nuts buying up everyone I could find that was cheap and have been fixing them since. Learning to do maintenance yourself while learning how and why your car works is priceless. I say buy the car, just don't pay too much for it. Why fault someone for helping.

Last edited by rudycoop; 02-13-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Closed Thread