E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #41
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
I didn't mean to offend, upset, or mislead anyone here. Was just curious if anyone has heard of it. Most people are bashing it without even considering it. It is proven to keep spark plugs clean and does not foul them. Remember it's a 500:1 mix. Very subtle. If you don't like LS1 forums read the 21 page thread on bobistheoilguy. That is a very well respected forum. Our cars were made to run on gasoline, not alcohol and corn. So these aviation engineers came up with this idea and tested it for years now. I have been wrenching on outboards for many years and am very familiar with 2 stroke. It makes sense if you ask me. There is an Audi guy swearing it cured his oil consumption problem. Don't listen to me. Call me stupid, crazy, anything else you wish....Just check it out first and then tell me I am stupid.

All I am saying is, gas isn't gas anymore. Especially here in California, where 93 octane doesn't even exist.
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #42
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycoop View Post
I didn't mean to offend, upset, or mislead anyone here. Was just curious if anyone has heard of it. Most people are bashing it without even considering it. It is proven to keep spark plugs clean and does not foul them. Remember it's a 500:1 mix. Very subtle. If you don't like LS1 forums read the 21 page thread on bobistheoilguy. That is a very well respected forum. Our cars were made to run on gasoline, not alcohol and corn. So these aviation engineers came up with this idea and tested it for years now. I have been wrenching on outboards for many years and am very familiar with 2 stroke. It makes sense if you ask me. There is an Audi guy swearing it cured his oil consumption problem. Don't listen to me. Call me stupid, crazy, anything else you wish....Just check it out first and then tell me I am stupid.

All I am saying is, gas isn't gas anymore. Especially here in California, where 93 octane doesn't even exist.
I could put this 500:1 in my milk and not even taste it.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #43
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
Clearly the "A" in ATF stands for "assault".

Ban ATF.
What you going to run on power steering? 2 stroke? lol

OP, you are retarded to think using 2 stroke mixed with gas will do any good.

I'd pee in my gas tank and run it. The content of alcohol in the pee would clean it up pretty good.

Driven a lot of 2 stroke yamahas, and they need the oil for lubrication. Not our engines though.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
rudycoop

I know why engines need 2 stroke. I never said our engines "needed" it. I just said it is making waves all over the place. I have never once read anything negative to it, so long as you stick to 500:1. I drove my MKIV Jetta VR6 for 3k miles while adding 2 stroke to every tank. Ran like new. I have only done 3 tanks on my 325 so far, but it sure runs good. Idles so well you don't even know it's running.

I never said anything about ATF and the blind "stupid" comments aren't very constructive. However, I did expect it.

Last edited by rudycoop; 02-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #45
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
I know why engines need 2 stroke. I never said our engines "needed" it. I just said it is making waves all over the place. I have never once read anything negative to it, so long as you stick to 500:1. I drove my MKIV Jetta VR6 for 3k miles while adding 2 stroke to every tank. Ran like new. I have only done 3 tanks on my 325 so far, but it sure runs good. Idles so well you don't even know it's running.

I never said anything about ATF and the blind "stupid" comments aren't very constructive. However, I did expect it.
Post a video on how your car idles?
My car idles at 600~650 once its warm without adding anything. Running on 91 octane(winter blend if it matters). People here say 650~750 is normal, but my car idles even lower and silky smooth.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #46
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
g-d damn it. Who here said to use milk? I tried it, even the 2% recommended. My car is running like crap all of a sudden and I think it might be the milk.
s
Should I put 2-stroke oil in now to clean things up? Will that help me you think? Damn it. Shut up, all of you. You're all morons. If I need a new engine I am going to be royally pissed!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #47
NJFF26

My Ride: 02 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
No it doesn't.

Actually I think it may (not btu/lb but btu/gal). The more refined a fuel is, the lower it's energy density (in general). The "density" part of that statement is important. That is a rating of megajoules per liter (or btu/gal) whereas specific energy is megajoules per kilogram (or btu/lb). Specific energy remains about the same for all oils from crude to aviation fuel (when you start adding ethanol you get killed). Energy density has a well defined downward trend. Take these densities/specific energies for example:

Type: E Density ; Specific E

Crude Oil: 37 MJ/L ; 46.3 MJ/kg
Diesel: 35.9 MJ/L ; 43.1 MJ/kg
Gasoline: 34.2 MJ/L ; 46.4 MJ/kg
E10 "Gasohol": 33.18 MJ/L ; 43.54 MJ/kg
E85 "Gasohol": 25.65 MJ/L ; 33.1 MJ/kg

2-stroke oil is going to be somewhere between crude and diesel. It is harder to combust completely and that's part of the reason 2-stroke engines have horrible emissions (apart from the less efficient cycle). The only reason 2 stroke engines have this additive is for it's primary lubrication in the crank. I'm not going to explain the 2-stroke cycle and it's method of induction/exhaust and fuel/air mixing, but it NEEDS this oil. A 4 stroke absolutely does not.

Also, you can see why E10 and E85 suck. They do burn more efficiently and a little more cleanly, but you are getting less energy per unit volume and per unit mass.

I don't care what 51 pages of the LS1 forums say (I'm not going to waste my time reading that many pages). It probably doesn't hurt anything seriously, but there is no way this increases HP or MPG. All it's going to do is foul your plugs more quickly than pure gasoline. Who knows what it may do to your cats. As far as lubricating the fuel pump, that may be true, but the pump is designed to be adequately lubricated by gasoline. Anyway, the fuel pump failure on these cars seems to be a motor issue, not an issue with the pumping mechanism itself wearing out.

All I really have to say is that there is no need for this "additive" even if it did help. Our engines last a very long time as it is with regular oil changes. That is the only oil your engine needs. The oil system adequately lubricates the engine at all times, unless the oil pump nut comes off. In that case, some 2-stroke additive is not going to help you.

First of all, the ATF thing is a myth and that myth involves adding it to your oil, not to your gasoline.

Second, our cars may be 10 years old, but their technology matches the lower level brands made in the past few years. It's not quite as refined (VANOS problems), but BMW pioneers technology before most other car makers by several years.
They are actually having a lot better emission results with direct injection 2 stroke motors. I think you will start to see the 2 stroke dirtbike make a comeback soon. The 4 strokes just can't match the hp or torque of a two stroke comparing similar sizes
NJFF26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #48
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Actually I think it may (not btu/lb but btu/gal).
Ha. I knew you'd find something I said to take me to task. You are correct, fuel is metered by volume, not weight.

Quote:
I didn't mean to offend, upset, or mislead anyone here.
Don't take it personal. We love to rage on about ideas that haven't been properly vetted by BMW engineers and senior forum members. Do a search on Home Depot bumper lip and you'll see a poor guy get flamed for an idea that almost worked.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #49
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
g-d damn it. Who here said to use milk? I tried it, even the 2% recommended. My car is running like crap all of a sudden and I think it might be the milk.
s
Should I put 2-stroke oil in now to clean things up? Will that help me you think? Damn it. Shut up, all of you. You're all morons. If I need a new engine I am going to be royally pissed!

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #50
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
I get why this is asked, but can't we just drive our cars? There are plenty of additives that any auto parts store will have, to try and sell you, to put in just about anything that has fluid in your car. So I don't really understand why we need to throw 2 stroke oil into the mix. It really isn't going to have any benefit over something like Marvel Mystery Oil, or Sea Foam. And if you want to clean your fuel system, whats wrong with fuel system cleaner? If you want more horsepower, I may suggest octane booster or maybe a nitrous oxide system.

In all seriousness though, these subjects have been beaten to death time and time again.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #51
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Mix 2 stroke with gas? I think I tried that once on a 5 day bender. One word of caution - it's better not to smoke while drinking this cocktail.

Last edited by vandyboy; 02-12-2013 at 08:45 PM.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #52
jonesenberg

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6spd
The only time I 2-stroke is when the GF is out of town ..
jonesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #53
System77

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Someone once dumped a Shamrock Shake in my neighbors gas tank. Needless to say it didn't run so well after that. Yah I'm old. But hey while your at it, why not dump a half a liter of Methyl Hydrate into the gas tank to burn up any moisture.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #54
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
There is a forum w 51 pages of responses talking about using 2 stroke in your fuel tank. Mixing 1 ounce of 2 stroke per 5 gallons of gas. It supposedly does a whole lot of good.

lubricates the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
cleans the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts.
Creates a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
Acts as a cleaner for our spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
Cleans the ring packs
Leaves a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.

Afterwards you will be
A) Run Smoother B) Run more efficiently C) Parts will last longer i.e. fuel pumps/injectors etc. D) Should see more RWHP and MPG

For pennies!

I used this on numerous vehicles and have recently been doing it on my 325i. Every fill up I measure it out and dump it right in with the gas.

Curious is anyone else has done this?
Apart from the lube isn't that what RedEx is for? Historically additives were added to fuel to reduce carbon build up on pistons and in cylinder heads. You could tell when an engine needed a decoke because it would continue to run after turning the ignition off because the red hot carbon deposits would continue to ignite the fuel after ignition shut down. The idea of teh RedEx was to prevent build up or soften it and decoke. But that was in the days when petrol was full of ****. Fuels are considerably cleaner these days.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #55
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by System77 View Post
Someone once dumped a Shamrock Shake in my neighbors gas tank. Needless to say it didn't run so well after that. Yah I'm old. But hey while your at it, why not dump a half a liter of Methyl Hydrate into the gas tank to burn up any moisture.
What's a Shamrock Shake?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #56
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
What's a Shamrock Shake?
Go to McDonald's sometime around st. Pats day. Rofl.

I drink the **** out of eggnog and shamrock shakes when they are in season!! Woot!!!
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #57
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:

3k miles? Ok, so what happened after? sold it? Interested to find out.

If you wish to keep your car pass 150-200k miles you should NOT be using anything thats not recommended by BMW.

You've done 3 fill ups, right ? thats 3 weeks of driving , LOL. Was your car not idling smooth before you used 2 stroke?

Either way, althou this 2 stroke no stroke crap may not harm the car in a short run , it will harm it in a long run.

Again, do NOT use any parts, additives or fluids that aren't recommended by BMW on your BMW if you wish to keep the car.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #58
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post

If you wish to keep your car pass 150-200k miles you should NOT be using anything thats not recommended by BMW.

You've done 3 fill ups, right ? thats 3 weeks of driving , LOL. Was your car not idling smooth before you used 2 stroke?

Either way, althou this 2 stroke no stroke crap may not harm the car in a short run , it will harm it in a long run.

Again, do NOT use any parts, additives or fluids that aren't recommended by BMW on your BMW if you wish to keep the car.
+1
Aaaaannnndd...../thread.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #59
rudycoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post

I guess you didn't read 70+ pages of positive results from people driving all makes and models. You are speaking without testing, reading, experiencing anything. It does a whole lot of good for the car. It's a 500:1 additive just like anything else you stick in your gas tank. People using all those other things could just use this. I will also state again that it has been tested for years and was developed by aviation mechanics. Not some idiot that ran out of gas and tried his 2 stroke mix in his car.

The 3k I did on my jetta was on a cross country road trip and after that I stopped doing it. Car stills runs perfect and is driven every day.

To each his own, BUT do not tell me it will harm something when you have zero clue what you are talking about. How exactly will it harm it? I have read through 70+ pages of praise on the topic. YEARS of testing. Not the latter...

Last edited by rudycoop; 02-13-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #60
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
I guess you didn't read 70+ pages of positive results from people driving all makes and models. You are speaking without testing, reading, experiencing anything. It does a whole lot of good for the car. It's a 500:1 additive just like anything else you stick in your gas tank. People using all those other things could just use this. I will also state again that it has been tested for years and was developed by aviation mechanics. Not some idiot that ran out of gas and tried his 2 stroke mix in his car.

The 3k I did on my jetta was on a cross country road trip and after that I stopped doing it. Car stills runs perfect and is driven every day.

To each his own, BUT do not tell me it will harm something when you have zero clue what you are talking about. How exactly will it harm it? I have read through 70+ pages of praise on the topic. YEARS of testing. Not the latter...

Hmmmm maybe you should put all that energy to a good use. Go volunteer building a shelter for the homeless or spend a weekend in the retirement home helping the nurses.

The gas you pump from the gas station already has alot of additives in it, there is absolutely no need for any additional additives, especially ones like ATF or 2 stroke oil.

How will it harm? lets see, improper mixture of air to fuel causing a hotter exhaust mixture will shorten the life of your plugs. Improper exhaust content will shorten the life of your 02 sensors. More oil in the combustion will cause more carbon build up. Heavier(due to addition of oil) mixture of gas might cause the gas pressure to go down overtime as the mixture is heavier, thus taking more time to travel same distance and requiring more force to be pushed out of injectors.

Lots of reasons not to use 2 stroke oil, one of the most important would be because BMW doest recommend it. If it works for your grandpa , tell him I personally congratulate him, but dont bring this crap in here

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote