E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #41
Fergo

My Ride: S52 E30(dead)08 135i
^ that olive M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
v10 was awesome new m5 is just fast dosent have a soul just 2 easy to make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #42
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I've seen it on everything from Hondas, to VWs, to Porsches, to Aston Martins, to Ferraris, etc. It basically made wrap obsolete.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780855
That's a pretty good dip but most people don't prep it that well and don't use a spray gun like he did.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #43
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I've seen it on everything from Hondas, to VWs, to Porsches, to Aston Martins, to Ferraris, etc. It basically made wrap obsolete.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780855
I don't mind one color scheme on an aggressive car like an M3, but the camo is dumb. The rest will spark people to just paint spots on their car and call it a day.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #44
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
The dip you see on the internet is 98% a camera trick, always far away never really revealing detail.

In real life, plastidip looks like sh!t and makes the car look ghetto. Like super-beater status.

The worst part is if you mess up an area, and try to re-spray it - it ends up coming out even worse and you'll end up tearing it all off because of how bad it fills on top of existing plastidip.

My friends company ended up camo-wrapping their cars, but that cost 2k~

tldr plastidip is dumb and good for things like badges and grills, that's about it.
On almost all of the plasti dipped cars I've seen theres always some **** going on around the gas tank. Get any amount of gas on it and the plasti dip dissolves and it looks like ****

Quote:
v10 was awesome new m5 is just fast dosent have a soul just 2 easy to make hp turbos
Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #45
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
I dipped my DD and regret it 100%. There's dip stuck in the window trim, roof trim, hinges within the hood and truck and there's dip floating around the interior of my car like glitter.

It just goes everywhere when you spray it, so there's no way to block it from getting into the interior.

I don't have OCD but I like a SHINY/REFLECTIVE car and a really neat interior. Plasti dip fvcked that all up!

I'm waiting till it gets warmer out to clean it up properly.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #46
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
The dip you see on the internet is 98% a camera trick, always far away never really revealing detail.

In real life, plastidip looks like sh!t and makes the car look ghetto. Like super-beater status.

The worst part is if you mess up an area, and try to re-spray it - it ends up coming out even worse and you'll end up tearing it all off because of how bad it fills on top of existing plastidip.

tldr plastidip is dumb and good for things like badges and grills, that's about it.
Makes complete sense, and I read the whole thing.

All in the prep work and time you are willing to take to make it look right, otherwise you end up like DominicG and all his great ideas.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #47
Bart Taylor

My Ride: 2000 323i touring
When I did my 2010 gti I made sure to prep the surface really good, for best results I recommend using scotch-brite pads, outcome will be way smoother, trust me.

Sent from the anal probe of my spacecraft using a series of tubes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i know in your head that sounded like a nice comeback/argument but you just sound like a fool.
Bart Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #48
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Taylor View Post
When I did my 2010 gti I made sure to prep the surface really good, for best results I recommend using scotch-brite pads, outcome will be way smoother, trust me.

Sent from the anal probe of my spacecraft using a series of tubes.
Wouldn't using scotch brite pads like that absolutely DESTROY the original paint on the car?

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback.
Mods To Come: Stage 1+ APR Chip, 18" Lambo reps, OBX headers.
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #49
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
Wouldn't using scotch brite pads like that absolutely DESTROY the original paint on the car?
tbh you shouldn't be painting a car, you don't know what you're doing. You would wear down the clear coat a bit, not the paint. In your hands though, YOU would probably destroy the clear coat.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #50
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
No, but it'll dull the clear. It's great for providing bite for paint, but have fun buffing that bastard back to a gloss when you take the plastidip off.

Last edited by choxor; 02-14-2013 at 03:27 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #51
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
tbh you shouldn't be painting a car, you don't know what you're doing. You would wear down the clear coat a bit, not the paint. In your hands though, YOU would probably destroy the clear coat.
I thought the PlastiDip was supposed to protect the paint from further harm? Also, why do you say i'd destroy the clear coat? jw

Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #52
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
I dipped my DD and regret it 100%. There's dip stuck in the window trim, roof trim, hinges within the hood and truck and there's dip floating around the interior of my car like glitter.

It just goes everywhere when you spray it, so there's no way to block it from getting into the interior.

I don't have OCD but I like a SHINY/REFLECTIVE car and a really neat interior. Plasti dip fvcked that all up!

I'm waiting till it gets warmer out to clean it up properly.
CLIFFS: I like shiny cars, so I sprayed my car with plastidip and was filled with regret. I did not know it would do that. I also apparently left my windows open and it got on the inside. The directions did not warn me about that.

Last edited by Gottalovethexi; 02-14-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Gottalovethexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #53
Fergo

LOL please god don't use scotchbrite pads on your car! wrong wrong wrong. Use something like a 1500-2000 grit sandpaper, because that's what its made for.

Quote:

Last edited by Fergo; 02-14-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #54
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
No, but it'll dull the clear. It's great for providing bite for paint, but have fun buffing that bastard back to a gloss when you take the plastidip off.
I'm trying to avoid doing that. Someone before said use degreaser, diluted dawn, park it over night then wipe down with alcohol. That wouldn't ruin the clear coat, would it?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #55
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
LOL please god don't use scotchbrite pads on your car! wrong wrong wrong. Use something like a 1500-2000 grit sandpaper, because that's what its made for.
What do you suggest to use if i don't want to destroy the clear coat?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #56
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
I'm trying to avoid doing that. Someone before said use degreaser, diluted dawn, park it over night then wipe down with alcohol. That wouldn't ruin the clear coat, would it?
No, your clear will be fine. It's just a thorough cleaning.

Last edited by choxor; 02-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #57
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler

My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
OMFG
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #58
BimmerIsMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
No, your clear will be fine. It's just a thorough cleaning.
Cool

If there a specific minimum temperature this should be done at? Like whats "too cold" and what would be "too hot"

Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #59
Fergo

Quote:
What do you suggest to use if i don't want to destroy the clear coat?
did you read my post? 1500-2000 grit sandpaper search "wetsanding" It removes a few microns of the clear coat. That will give the plasti dip something to grip on to. Then when you take the dip off hit is with a rotary polisher and some menzerna final polish and you'll be fine

Quote:

Last edited by Fergo; 02-14-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #60
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:

Disagree. When done right it looks great, as good as any vynil that I have seen. It is smooth, cleans easily, can be touched up easily, and can be changed up at minimal expense. To each their own.