E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
arleitiss

My Ride: 318i
Need new brake discs?

Hey, so I painted calipers today, just one side, I paused with next ones because I am thinking of getting new brake discs.

http://cs323523.userapi.com/v3235235...IzQpzFFTkQ.jpg
They look pretty bad I am sure you can see, very rusty and I don't like what it looks like.
As you can see, even with painted caliper, it looks horrible.

http://cs323523.userapi.com/v3235235...VcLFrkQO5I.jpg

I am not sure what the part number is or where to get them online...
On realoem website I checked, and it has two part numbers not sure which one, I mean two part numbers for front and for rear, 4 numbers in total. help?

Car is: E46 318i 1.9L
arleitiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
You can always scrape the rusty portions with a wire brush and use the same caliper paint on the rotors themselves. Just don't get it on the friction surface, or the mating surface where the wheel bolts on. New ones are going to do the same thing in short order.

Wow, 318 brakes are tiny!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
arleitiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
You can always scrape the rusty portions with a wire brush and use the same caliper paint on the rotors themselves. Just don't get it on the friction surface, or the mating surface where the wheel bolts on. New ones are going to do the same thing in short order.

Wow, 318 brakes are tiny!

Oh, so it's alright to paint disc/rotors areas where there is no friction? it's a high heat paint btw up to 800 C
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
lcoleman

Yes, not where the pad hits and not where the wheel hits. Obviously the paint will stick better on a new rotor, but in my experience caliper paint sticks to rusted surfaces pretty well.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the sweep area of the pad on the rotor and not the hub. You have some rust on the outer perimeter and there is also a bit close to the hub. There is something going on where you aren't getting even clamping. My whole rotor disc is bright and shiny.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
lcoleman

Look at the size of the pad...these 318s have a much smaller swept area than the US cars. Those rotors are perfectly fine, just ugly because of the rust (which is typical on all BMWs afaik).
Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
arleitiss

So it should be okay painting them? I mean it brakes fine and on time, but looks very very horrible.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Look at the size of the pad...these 318s have a much smaller swept area than the US cars. Those rotors are perfectly fine, just ugly because of the rust (which is typical on all BMWs afaik).
There should be no rust on the swept area of the rotor. Rotors and pads are sized so they work in tandem to hit the entire area of the rotor. I'm pretty sure his caliper guide bushings are out of whack.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
arleitiss

Any manuals how to take off brake disc?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
330iPilot

Lots. Check the DIY section.