E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #101
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
It is pretty huge, I've had it for 2 days and you get used to the size fairly quick
Before you used it... were you aware that your body could handle that much pain?

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #102
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Before you used it... were you aware that your body could handle that much pain?
set my self up for that one

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #103
dava92

My Ride: 01' Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
The amount of times you encounter the spinning beach ball, or have to force quit a program on a Mac pales in comparison to the amount of errors and frustration you will encounter on a PC. That was one of the main reasons I switched. Microsoft will knowingly bring a flawed product to market, with the intention of fixing it through incremental updates. I think this is a flawed strategy. I like Apple's approach of highly polished and refined products.
I've gotta be in the minority then. I have had PCs my whole life and I have never felt I've had "errors" or "frustrations". Stay away from adware/spyware type sites and I think you are fine. Windows 7 with a bunch of memory and it flys!
dava92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #104
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dava92 View Post
I've gotta be in the minority then. I have had PCs my whole life and I have never felt I've had "errors" or "frustrations". Stay away from adware/spyware type sites and I think you are fine. Windows 7 with a bunch of memory and it flys!
Its not about the spywares/malwares. Its about the Operating Systems itself. So you have never got BSOD on your PCs till now? Never have you restarted your PC because it froze?

I have used all the Operating systems ever released by Microsoft. Yes, I from MSDOS 5.0, windows 3.1 and so on till now windows 8. Have been using PCs since 286 dx came out. I still have that computer, still works. It has 2MB hard drive and it was top of the line PC when I bought it. And I have assembled desktops to gaming rigs.

Still my personal computer is a mac. Dont get me wrong, I still have PCs and use windows for work(because the tools I have to work with are not mac compatible).
The Operating system from apple is optimized for the hardware that is run beneath it. PCs use the same hardware too but windows operating system is not at all efficient in handling the threads and processes. OSX does much better job in that category.

If you talk about malware/spyware/virus, you know why it is built for windows most of the time? because windows system is easy to penetrate and **** up the kernel. Mac OS doesnt allow access to the kernel, if a virus is trying to get in, that thread is(can be) killed. As simple as that.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #105
dava92

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Its not about the spywares/malwares. Its about the Operating Systems itself. So you have never got BSOD on your PCs till now? Never have you restarted your PC because it froze?
Sure I have got a few BSODs usually when I was messing with something or if I had a bad stick of ram or a faulty HD. Apple has bad hardware too, the system just shows it a different way. Right now I am looking at a Macbook Air with a flashing folder with a question mark on it. But but I thought they just work?

I restart all of my devices often, just because. I know many people that just close the lid. Heck they go weeks sometimes months without a reboot. Both PC and Macs end up freezing or have weird anomalies begin to happen.

As far as security goes yes Macs are "better" but choosing a system based just on that fact does not make the whole thing "better".

iPhone hack:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/tech/m...html?hpt=hp_t3

Everything is vulnerable. I had a friend get an iPhone and his reasoning was because Androids get viruses/hacked. Well sure! Go to some weird site and download an app not from the app store and sure anything can happen. Same with a PC. It again comes down to user competence. That being said... What will be my next purchase? Not an Apple product. Although if my parents wanted a ___whatever___ device I would suggest an Apple phone/iPad for the sole reason that "they" will be satisfied along with other Apple users. I will probably never get a call from them saying they have a virus/malware ect..

But as for me I'll be happy with my PCs and Androids and the more granular user experience they give me. So many times I have wondered wouldn't it be nice to have this app or this widget. Then I look and sure enough it exists.

Example: The lock widget. You can place a lock widget on the homescreen of an Android and it will lock the screen. No need to always hit a physical button. The thumb naturally falls there. I would love for an iPad/phone to have that small but great feature!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #106
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
lol bad analogy. i dont even lock my phone. to each his own i guess.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #107
trj

Quote:
Sure I have got a few BSODs usually when I was messing with something or if I had a bad stick of ram or a faulty HD. Apple has bad hardware too, the system just shows it a different way. Right now I am looking at a Macbook Air with a flashing folder with a question mark on it. But but I thought they just work?

I restart all of my devices often, just because. I know many people that just close the lid. Heck they go weeks sometimes months without a reboot. Both PC and Macs end up freezing or have weird anomalies begin to happen.

As far as security goes yes Macs are "better" but choosing a system based just on that fact does not make the whole thing "better".

iPhone hack:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/tech/m...html?hpt=hp_t3

Everything is vulnerable. I had a friend get an iPhone and his reasoning was because Androids get viruses/hacked. Well sure! Go to some weird site and download an app not from the app store and sure anything can happen. Same with a PC. It again comes down to user competence. That being said... What will be my next purchase? Not an Apple product. Although if my parents wanted a ___whatever___ device I would suggest an Apple phone/iPad for the sole reason that "they" will be satisfied along with other Apple users. I will probably never get a call from them saying they have a virus/malware ect..

But as for me I'll be happy with my PCs and Androids and the more granular user experience they give me. So many times I have wondered wouldn't it be nice to have this app or this widget. Then I look and sure enough it exists.

Example: The lock widget. You can place a lock widget on the homescreen of an Android and it will lock the screen. No need to always hit a physical button. The thumb naturally falls there. I would love for an iPad/phone to have that small but great feature!
Perfectly valid points. Depends on a user. Ask any person who actually knows computers in and out(software and hardware) what would they prefer. 95% of the time the answer will be Mac.
Also, why are people all so willing to install hackintosh version on their PCs?

As I already mentioned earlier, I have used a lot of PCs and macs. And I still do.
I have had the first android phone(HTC G1), second(HTC mytouch 3G) and then sg3, all 3 were rooted and unlocked.
I have had all the iPhones except for the first iPhone and 4S. Have experienced all the highs and lows of those devices. Before that I was a Nokia user and could swear by the symbian OS.
Also had windows phones too, now looking to test nokia lumia 920.

My point is, its not about being a fan of a brand. I can tweak all I want on mac as well as PC, same with iPhone and android.

I write apps for androids and iPhone as my main job and do computer repairing as a hobby job. So, I know in and out of how they work.

What I dont get is why a brand hate? Why people hate apple? Is it because its expensive? Well, it is a little expensive than MS/PC products but what you pay is for superior software, outstanding customer service and better designs.

Just like you have an e46. I have an e46 because I like how it drives, not because it has a roundel. I know a hyundai would also take me where I need to go, but I prefer e46. Why? because it is more refined and keeps me happy.
Same logic goes with Apple vs Android or PCs.
You pay for refinement and service, not for brand. If I like the new nokia lumia, I might just ditch the iPhone 5.
Cheaper doesnt mean its better and tweakable doesnt make a device superior. Infact, it will make it more vulnerable.

My current iPhone 5 is unlocked and jailbroken and I can have as many apps as I'd like. Hell, if I need something thats not available I will write an app myself.
But would I dare to touch the IOS? Hell no. Would I dare to touch the android kernel? Oh yes, thats why there is root access. Thats my point. You can do a lot of damage on an open android system. The OS itself is very buggy. That is the problem with open source. Too many people without the knowledge of the internals jump into making apps and tweaking to their liking without knowing the consequence. That why the android market has so many junk apps and app store doesnt.

About macs vs PCs, a software only company can never come close to a company that develops software for the specific hardware only.

Try this:
Install windows 7/8/vista/xp anything you want via bootcamp on a macbook/pro with OSX(any version).

Remove the power cable.

Check the time remaining for full battery drain on both sides.

Even Check how long the computer will run on windows side and apple side each on full charge.

I can assure you that OSX will run twice as long as it will in the windows side on the same battery, same machine.
How? Its because of efficient Operating system that can close the threads that are not required. Lets say resource allocation is much more better on OSX than PC.

Another test:
I run my macbook for months without restarting, I just close the lid as you said.
If I do the same in windows, I am pretty sure I will get BSOD because of memory mismatch within a couple of days.

I always make sure I turn off my windows machine every couple of days because it might just give BSOD in the middle of work and everything will be lost.
Thats how much unreliable MS OS is.

PS: PC is not MS, PCs can be linux/unix based as well.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #108
dava92

Quote:
Perfectly valid points. Depends on a user. Ask any person who actually knows computers in and out(software and hardware) what would they prefer. 95% of the time the answer will be Mac.
Also, why are people all so willing to install hackintosh version on their PCs?

Ehh I don't know about this. Prefer? Many actually prefer the PC side of things to make a living and for the fact many average people can afford to purchase these. It makes them more profitable from a pc repair business point of view.

As I already mentioned earlier, I have used a lot of PCs and macs. And I still do.
I have had the first android phone(HTC G1), second(HTC mytouch 3G) and then sg3, all 3 were rooted and unlocked.
I have had all the iPhones except for the first iPhone and 4S. Have experienced all the highs and lows of those devices. Before that I was a Nokia user and could swear by the symbian OS.
Also had windows phones too, now looking to test nokia lumia 920.

My point is, its not about being a fan of a brand. I can tweak all I want on mac as well as PC, same with iPhone and android.

I write apps for androids and iPhone as my main job and do computer repairing as a hobby job. So, I know in and out of how they work.

What I dont get is why a brand hate? Why people hate apple? Is it because its expensive? Well, it is a little expensive than MS/PC products but what you pay is for superior software, outstanding customer service and better designs.

I think a lot of the brand hate stems from the fact that Apple claims that they are the "BEST" period. This bugs me. Their keynotes and product launches are very good no doubt. It's just that they constantly push the claim that they have the most advanced "blaa blaa" ever. My friend ran up to me to show me panorama mode. Like it was just invented! That's brilliant marketing right there. I have always wished other companies could show off products in the same way. Heck right now I am using my S3s NFC feature with those Tec-tiles. It's really slick. I have one of those things inside my arm rest in the car. I get in the car and place the phone on the arm rest and the phone automatically puts the phone on High/vibrate changes the brightness turns on Bluetooth shuts off wifi. All at once. Pretty dang slick. Unfortunately 97% of S3 owners don't even know what NFC is.

Just like you have an e46. I have an e46 because I like how it drives, not because it has a roundel. I know a hyundai would also take me where I need to go, but I prefer e46. Why? because it is more refined and keeps me happy.
Same logic goes with Apple vs Android or PCs.
You pay for refinement and service, not for brand. If I like the new nokia lumia, I might just ditch the iPhone 5.
Cheaper doesnt mean its better and tweakable doesnt make a device superior. Infact, it will make it more vulnerable. Tweakable does make it superior to me. That's the point! I'll deal with the vulnerability.

My current iPhone 5 is unlocked and jailbroken and I can have as many apps as I'd like. Hell, if I need something thats not available I will write an app myself.
But would I dare to touch the IOS? Hell no. Would I dare to touch the android kernel? Oh yes, thats why there is root access. Thats my point. You can do a lot of damage on an open android system. The OS itself is very buggy. That is the problem with open source. Too many people without the knowledge of the internals jump into making apps and tweaking to their liking without knowing the consequence. That why the android market has so many junk apps and app store doesnt.

About macs vs PCs, a software only company can never come close to a company that develops software for the specific hardware only.

Try this:
Install windows 7/8/vista/xp anything you want via bootcamp on a macbook/pro with OSX(any version).

Remove the power cable.

Check the time remaining for full battery drain on both sides.

Even Check how long the computer will run on windows side and apple side each on full charge.

I can assure you that OSX will run twice as long as it will in the windows side on the same battery, same machine.
How? Its because of efficient Operating system that can close the threads that are not required. Lets say resource allocation is much more better on OSX than PC.
I believe it! Problem is when the battery dies on my Dell I pop a new one in and I am good to go. That's a little harder to do when you are on a trip ie: plane flight and when your Mac has an integrated battery.

Another test:
I run my macbook for months without restarting, I just close the lid as you said.
If I do the same in windows, I am pretty sure I will get BSOD because of memory mismatch within a couple of days. Sorry no

I always make sure I turn off my windows machine every couple of days because it might just give BSOD in the middle of work and everything will be lost.
Thats how much unreliable MS OS is.

PS: PC is not MS, PCs can be linux/unix based as well.
I agree on most of what you said though... I am an ACMT (apple certified macintosh technician) and I won't even begin to talk about how strict Apple is when servicing products. I have a special tool to gauge the depth of a dent. To deep or in a certain area and BAM! $799. Ugg The stories go on. You make some great points. Great dialogue.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #109
trj

Quote:
I agree on most of what you said though... I am an ACMT (apple certified macintosh technician) and I won't even begin to talk about how strict Apple is when servicing products. I have a special tool to gauge the depth of a dent. To deep or in a certain area and BAM! $799. Ugg The stories go on. You make some great points. Great dialogue.
Agreed.
May be I was too overboard on saying 95% will want apple computers.

And I am not an apple fanboy either. I just like how their products are right now. If some other companies come with the better products, I will jump in right away.

I like their no questions asked warranty, unless you put coffee on your mac or drop your phone in the lake.
Will I get that with PC? oh no. Call the tech support, wait on hold forever, do the full diagnostic, do the full format, after almost 4 hours on the phone they decide to take it in for repairs. Send in a box, send the box, it comes back after 2 weeks if you are lucky.
Apple, if there is any issues, take it to the store, they change the defective part or give you a new one. Simple.

A great OS with very good customer service is what a person needs. The hardware underneath is the same anyway.

I went to the apple store when my hard drive crashed on me, I was in and out of the store within an hour and half with new hard drive in with the new OS loaded and my old hard drive back to get my reports that was not backed up.
The tech there even told me that if I put more RAM, upgrade to SSD it wont void my warranty. Just have the originals in possession if they need to diagnose it in the future.
That with a PC is impossible. You touch one screw and you are out of luck on warranty.

Also, if I was building a server I'd not consider apple. A unix server, YES. Microsoft server above apple too.
But for a personal computer, I will never go back to MS systems. May be I will use linux systems.

PCs are cheaper because of less than adequate customer service and the end user. If end user is doing facebook and youtube, whether a $2000 mac or a $200 netbook, it doesnt make a difference. At that point a mac becomes a superficial showoff possession. However, if you are doing hardcore graphic editing or testing a software, you need the functionality of a well tuned operating system that utilizes the hardware effectively.

And I guess we officially derailed the thread.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #110
dava92

Quote:
Agreed.
May be I was too overboard on saying 95% will want apple computers.

And I am not an apple fanboy either. I just like how their products are right now. If some other companies come with the better products, I will jump in right away.

I like their no questions asked warranty, unless you put coffee on your mac or drop your phone in the lake.
Will I get that with PC? oh no. Call the tech support, wait on hold forever, do the full diagnostic, do the full format, after almost 4 hours on the phone they decide to take it in for repairs. Send in a box, send the box, it comes back after 2 weeks if you are lucky.
Apple, if there is any issues, take it to the store, they change the defective part or give you a new one. Simple.

A great OS with very good customer service is what a person needs. The hardware underneath is the same anyway.

I went to the apple store when my hard drive crashed on me, I was in and out of the store within an hour and half with new hard drive in with the new OS loaded and my old hard drive back to get my reports that was not backed up.
The tech there even told me that if I put more RAM, upgrade to SSD it wont void my warranty. Just have the originals in possession if they need to diagnose it in the future.
That with a PC is impossible. You touch one screw and you are out of luck on warranty.

Also, if I was building a server I'd not consider apple. A unix server, YES. Microsoft server above apple too.
But for a personal computer, I will never go back to MS systems. May be I will use linux systems.

PCs are cheaper because of less than adequate customer service and the end user. If end user is doing facebook and youtube, whether a $2000 mac or a $200 netbook, it doesnt make a difference. At that point a mac becomes a superficial showoff possession. However, if you are doing hardcore graphic editing or testing a software, you need the functionality of a well tuned operating system that utilizes the hardware effectively.

And I guess we officially derailed the thread.
lol
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #111
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Speaking of "it just works," check out this cool new feature in iOS 6.1:

lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #112
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Speaking of "it just works," check out this cool new feature in iOS 6.1:

lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
fail posted from your nexus
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #113
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
The Note 2 is hardly a phone at all. It's an absurdly sized device.
so is my penis, but I seem to manage.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote