E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #261
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Didn't know that about MS

With a good sensor i assume you dont have any rpm indicator in the cabin then ?(or do MS and stock DME share the same trigger ?)
no indicator with old sensor, haven't bothered replacing the sensor yet.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #262
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
no indicator with old sensor, haven't bothered replacing the sensor yet.
What you could do is plug the DME's inlet cam sensor back and you'll have RPM's on the dash, or are you controlling the vanos ?
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #263
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
What you could do is plug the DME's inlet cam sensor back and you'll have RPM's on the dash, or are you controlling the vanos ?
Ive always piggybacked onto the stock ecu, so it sees all the position sensors. I could easily fix this, i am just being lazy as I have the x3 coming.

I control vanos, yes.

I used to have rpm. Then I drove to jersey, parked for an hour, and there was no more rpm. Just like my it sensor died randomly one night.

Mysteries.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #264
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
so how is the project still doing ?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #265
autospeed_01

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I'm in for an update as well!
autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #266
gurov

sure, i can give an update.

car is sitting in the garage now. i got home one night as it was overheating because the fan didn't want to turn on, ripped out all the wiring harness and threw it on the floor.

i'm going to concentrate on the supra for now, but while ordering parts for the supra, i got some extra 1000 cc injectors i will be using on the bmw along with the fuel pump that will come out of the supra.

supra is running AEM EMS v2 now, so that should free up a bunch of my time not screwing around with that to screw around with the bmw.

i have a 5 speed manual XI transmission sitting in the closet for the bmw to go in place of the automatic garbage. i need a flywheel, clutch, pedals, various hardware to attach all this stuff together which i will figure out when i get there.

i will also be getting a proper aluminum radiator and electric fan.

supra is getting a 72mm turbo, bugatti veyron fuel pump-based fuel system, 1000 cc injector dynamics a few other supporting mods here and there.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #267
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
I have my old flywheel sitting around, needs a resurface/shim. It's a 15lb Fidanza Flywheel. Got a spare slave too! Shift lever... ya see where I'm going. Just LMK.

Last edited by xixixi; 04-17-2012 at 02:54 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #268
gurov

thanks for the offer. as i said, i've got a bunch of boxes coming for the supra, and i'm going to get that in a spot where it scares me shitless, then move onto the bmw, to once again, be scared shitless, albeit with a bit more leather and fake wood around me.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #269
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
thanks for the offer. as i said, i've got a bunch of boxes coming for the supra, and i'm going to get that in a spot where it scares me shitless, then move onto the bmw, to once again, be scared shitless, albeit with a bit more leather and fake wood around me.
I'm moving to SEA/TAC area, if you need anything. LMK just pay shipping. Anything that doesn't fit in the car is going in the trash! 989 666 6469 Jay

Last edited by xixixi; 04-29-2012 at 08:34 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #270
gurov

little update.

I'm running out of reasonable **** to buy for the supra at this point, just have clutch driveshaft and suspension, so i was looking at the stuff i need for the bmw to get that back up and running, and it turned out to be stupid cheap - radiator, clutch/flywheel kit, pedals, new engine harness, new ecu.

my plan is to hack up one of the ecus so i don't have to ever cut up the harness anymore as that turns into a huge mess from what I've seen, have connectors on the stock ecu to connect megasquirt to it and take over the injector pins, ignition drivers, etc.

was going through some pictures of the hardware i set up for the bmw, and i'm not sure i've shown this pic before, shows the two extensions sitting on the inverted T4 e36 manifold, it's a pretty freaking tight fit there, so vband has to be used. that oil return flange is getting replaced once the supra is done-ish, so is a bunch of other stuff that got hacked up due to me not having a proper car to drive while i was building this.

so yeah, i still plan to get this thing back on the road, it just has to wait for the other toy to be finished:

the MILES of room that are available for turbo:

72mm turbo

the supra is donating a fuel pump to the bmw for the future along with some rather large injectors.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #271
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Hey Gennady,

I have a spare MS43 I was going to make my own harness for Vi-Pec, but ended up going with Pro-EFI. I'll give it to you for 50 bucks
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #272
gurov

what's the deal with proefi these days ? Is there a non-m offering that's plug and play-ish ? i actually got an AEM EMS v2 for the supra, cause i didn't want to screw around with megasquirt for that car.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #273
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Call Jason @ ProEFI I know there are a few non-M with ProEFI

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #274
bimmerguy055

Quote:
what's the deal with proefi these days ? Is there a non-m offering that's plug and play-ish ? i actually got an AEM EMS v2 for the supra, cause i didn't want to screw around with megasquirt for that car.
They have a complete plug N play harness for the ms43, comes with Bosch igniters, boost solenoid, fuel pressure sensor, 5 bar MAP, and their wide band. can be installed in a like two hours It does have great engine safety features, traction control and much more that other ECUs cannot match.

I'll be writing a review for my pro 128 shortly, once I get everything setup.

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 05-15-2012 at 12:53 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #275
Kevin46

My Ride: 325xi
:(

Why Cant i see pictures
Kevin46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #276
gurov

i somehow lost the pictures... i'll be taking new ones.

i want to sell this project, i don't have the mental bandwidth to take care of this thing anymore. it was fun, but i'm somewhat done working on cars.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #277
Kevin46

My Ride: 325xi
Try put at least one picture of the final project, im interested in a purchase.
Kevin46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #278
gurov

gonna revive this thread. i've more or less finished my supra (for the time being, until the bmw runs).

i've received a bunch of PMs since i've posted this thread about stuff. unfortunately, I lost all the original build pictures with the bottom mount, and the struggle for topmount.

i'll post some pictures here with progress, and update the first post for those interested.

i have no idea what's written in the thread anymore, so i'll simply repeat it:

I picked up the car sometime in 2007, 2004 325xi automatic.

it was comfy, but kind of gutless.

the automatic trans really didn't help either:

fastforward a few years ago, i decided to turbo it.

first attempt was with a straight forward bottom mount turbo on an ebay cast manifold, but who cares, bottom mount was a pain in the ass. the oil scavenge pump made me super nervous, and it just sucked to work on.
intake plumbing was also a massive pain due to the crazy stock intake maifold with the throttle body being hidden away below runner 3-4. the only neat thing about that manifold was how easy it was to get to the injectors. i ended up managing the engine with megasquirt3 and terribly hacked up stock harness. the automatic transmission was slightly modified to hold a bit more pressure, but i really didn't push it that much, only about 9 psi was all it ever saw.

the automatic transmission was managed with MegaShift, another megasquirt project that handles the auto transmissions, that was a massive pain as well, code was buggy and just a bad driving experience, so the decision to swap to a manual was made. then i let it sit for 3 years in the garage, or so.

here's all the juicy bits that people will likely want to see:

top mount turbo:

some of the downpipe pieces, the exhaust is vband from a pipe that's attached to the turbo (it's an ebay 5 bolt flange), vband was the only way to make this work. it's 2.5" due to space.

the manifold is a TCD unit made for m50 or m52 engine, mounted upside down, The manifold has a T4 flange, and one of the standard wastegate flanges. To get the turbo up to where it is, there are 2 extenders, a T4 to T3, and T3 to T3

it was the most straightforward way i could get it to mount, and it fits quite nicely.

naturally, with top mount, oil feed is easy:

and oil return is also, easy, as it's gravity powered.

the transmission is a 5 speed ZF (i think), bonus transfer case (non X-drive) bolted to the transmission already (on the top)

when i got it, 5th would not engage, it turned out that the 5th notch piston was completely frozen, perhaps cause it was cold, so i pulled them out, and now waiting for that mechanism replacement to ship from pelican.

clutch disk, cover, and flywheel are some sort of M3 items:

there's obviously other manual swap bits, new pedals, master/hydraulic lines, shifter, new bushings for everything. etc, i won't bother with those as you all have seen that stuff.

now, one of my annoyances when working on the old setup was the intake manifold, so i looked around and got one of those thai M50/M52/M54 manifolds, and it actually fits !
here are some pictures of the new intake manifold, fuel rail bracket, and cable throttle holder bracket:

and mounted on the car, for test fitting:

it is a stock deadhead (returnless-ish) fuel rail with some 660cc MSD injectors with the right connectors to use with stock harness. mount points have been changed, and i made that nifty fuel rail bracket to hold it all down. but a different fuel rail fits (with entry and exit). using the stock fuel pressure regulator/filter that comes with e46 and mounts under the car (boost-referenced)

now, for the management.

originally, when the car ran on megasquirt3, i had rushed the installation, and tapped all the wires under the hood at the harness, soldered to them, cut them, made it look gross, and basically had a really shitty mess of wires that was a pain to diagnose. ms3 worked perfectly fine, however, even ran both VANOS solenoids with tuning for that. I had J&S ultrasafeguard that managed knock, stock coils were ignited using some sort of toyota camry igniter, that megasquirt ran. as far as tuning the engine to run well, megasquirt was amazing, the wiring I created was not.

this time around, i'm doing it slightly different, i'm taking a stock ecu, tracing where stuff goes inside of it on the connector, and putting connectors on the outside that megasquirt will plug into

here is the ignition transistors taken over and wires soldered to the current-limiting transistors.

there is a small surface mount resistor near each transistor that the stock CPU controls these transistors via that has been desoldered.

the same thing has been done to the injector drivers here:

there are two automotive driver ICs with 20 legs each, that control 3 injectors each. legs have been lifted, and i soldered to the bottom of the connector.

same will be done to the vanos solenoid drivers, fan driver, fuel pump driver, idle controller, knock sensors, and whatever else comes up.

the whole point of this is to use a stock engine wiring harness without having to modify it.

i likely missed a thing here or there, if you have questions, let me know, and i'll go take pictures of what i've done, or explain what the plan is.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #279
bimmerguy055

woh gurov,

way to revamp the thread! Thanks for the manifold idea, I want! I was going to get a TIG welder just to make a intake mani, but this may win me over depending on the price.

After running bottom mount for 20k miles, I'm getting worried of when the scavenge pump will fail, now I'm toying with the idea of going back to top-mount. I don't know how you managed the heat build up, Last time I was top-mount, and was street tuning (with lots of retarded timing) my coil pack distributor caught on fire! luckily I had a fire extinguisher with me.

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 06-02-2014 at 04:17 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #280
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
Where did you get the manifold and how much $???
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote