E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
tehcbass

My Ride: bmw e46 323i
Send a message via Skype™ to tehcbass
Engine bay cleaning

Hey guys just a real quick question.. What's the best way to keep your engine bay crystal clear... I know it's going to get dirty again quick because obviously it's an engine bay, but I just want to know. Thanks.

Long Nights and Sandy Beaches
tehcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehcbass View Post
Hey guys just a real quick question.. What's the best way to keep your engine bay crystal clear... I know it's going to get dirty again quick because obviously it's an engine bay, but I just want to know. Thanks.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=831705

I use water/steam!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I just use SimpleGreen and wipe all the surfaces down real well. It will keep the engine looking very nice. Shops usually compliment me on it
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
tehcbass

Oh alright thanks guys

Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I can't wait till it's warmer so I can detail my engine bay :/
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
I power wash mine. I know everyone says not to do it but I've done it for 30 years now and never had a problem. Just be careful where you spray.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
do eet!

for stubborn areas use a generic target brand mr. clean magic eraser very lightly.

Last edited by VALMONT; 02-14-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360889201
VALMONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Hardest part is cleaning the VANOS solenoid area thingy. You need pretty much a really small wire toothbrush to clean it. Kinda difficult to get to. I really wanna make mine pristine white, but I can't get to all of it
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
You'd be surprised how long the engine bay stays clean. Not spotless, but you'll be able to tell for quite a while.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
-fixture-

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
+1 with simple green. I clean my engine every couple months. Its easy to clean if you keep up with it every so often. Here is my engine with 225K miles, this is on my E36.

-fixture- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
tehcbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by -fixture- View Post
+1 with simple green. I clean my engine every couple months. Its easy to clean if you keep up with it every so often. Here is my engine with 225K miles, this is on my E36.

How is you clean it though? Power wash? Be honest lol

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Quote:

Damn thats clean. I once tried to clean my engine bay but there was so much caked on oil I just gave up. Maybe I should give it another shot this summer...

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
How much time should I plan for a "first time" engine bay cleaning. (The car was detailed in September-ish, that's when I bought it.)

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
Rigsby94

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Sorry to thread jack but my engine bay needs a cleaning in a bad way. I was planning on using a hose, simple green and a couple of small brushes but the question is...does the engine need to be hot or cold or does it matter?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigsby94 View Post
Sorry to thread jack but my engine bay needs a cleaning in a bad way. I was planning on using a hose, simple green and a couple of small brushes but the question is...does the engine need to be hot or cold or does it matter?
warm is ideal but doesn't matter

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #16
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:

Nice job. I did something similar last summer and even used armor all on all the plastic parts. I just wish I could keep my carpets this clean!

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
lgb240

My Ride: e46 325xiT e30 325iT
Dawn dishwashing soap - cuts grease like no other. Use spray bottle to diltue, or squeeze it out a full strength, agitate with you favourite brushes, rinse, repeat. I buy it a the dollar store - can't beat the price.
lgb240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #18
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
I have used a variety of items.

Oven cleaner is the mack daddy of them all. I've never cleaned my m54 with it though.....but it gets rid of everything. For the dirtiest of engines. Removes caked oil......acidic. I would use this on my m54....but its never been dirty enough to warrant the big dog

Auto parts store.......foamy engine bright......does well use it for years. Not for the dirtiest but definitely for the dirty. Removes caked oil.....let it soak in

And then there's the way I do it normally. When I was in the car wash business I learned a lot about the soaps. Basically the way it cleans your car.(and some of you might not like the idea of this)

It uses acid.....to eat a micron layer of clear coat off of your car. So small you could wash for 20 years and it wouldn't eat the clear off. When the clear gets eaten the dirt goes with it. You are removing the base that the dirt is held on. My dad ruined several paint jobs getting the acid part of his soap manufacturing line to work right. The stuff you buy or use has had the bugs worked out for years now. This was back in the 70s.

So now we get into the pre soak, tire cleaner, super wheel cleaner at the self serve car wash.

These soaps need to be washed off right away.......don't pre soak it and then drive somewhere with any of these on the car still. Make sure you have enough money to wash them off.

Because they have more acid than the regular soap....they are stronger soaps for this reason.....if left on they will eat into lexan windows......not a big deal just wash it off right after you apply it.

Now that you know the nature.......I use super wheel cleaner or pre soak on my engine. It is perfect for cleaning them. My engine bay is spotless. It works very well and you will love the results.

On another note.......stay away from the exhaust manifold. I haven't cracked my BMW manifold. But I did crack another car I had. The cold water cools it down too fast and the metal separates. Don't be afraid of it.....just don't douse it with water......if you wait for the car to cool down......and you can touch the manifold.....you are fine. Just be cautious. Ideally ......warm engine is better.....and I don't mean you just drove the car and shut it off warm......I mean let it cool for half an hour warm. When you can touch the exhaust manifold and not have a third degree burn then the manifold is for sure safe to wash . ......I am not liable if you burn yourself touching manifold....just don't be stupid

Then there is something 90% of the human population doesn't know. And I have tried this on many older cars.....but have not tried it on the BMW yet. I don't know the effects.....it works on glass but I have not tested it on the carlex style windows because the idea is new and I have not completely tested it yet. It was tested on my 79 trans am and my 86 omni GLH. I was amazed at the result....then we tried it on a Ken worth semi truck....and it worked there too.

So what is it........CLEANING YOUR WINDSHIELD WITH STEEL WOOL.

You would think it scratches it....but it doesn't. It makes it look new. It might even take the sandblasted effect out of an older windshield. I don't know.....when I heard it I didn't believe it. So I tried it and now experimenting.

If your not comfortable trying it......DONT. there are you tube videos on it and from what I can see.....it works. Will I try it on my e46 glass.? The windshield..... yes.....the side windows...with caution. It was taught to me by an old glass guy.

My friend had a car in his shop....his son wrote his name in the dust on the back window. My friend left it there.
When he washed the window his sons name was etched in the glass. No amount of polishing with mothers polish or washing took it out........I used...... with no water on his dusty window. Steel wool.....the window looked new.....the car was a 1986 honda. The reason I didn't use water was because I wanted to see if the steel wool would used the dust to make scratches......it cut through the dust dry and still polished the window. If someon wants pictures I'll post them.

Last edited by glhx; 02-15-2013 at 02:00 AM.
glhx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #19
Rigsby94

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
I have used a variety of items.

Oven cleaner is the mack daddy of them all. I've never cleaned my m54 with it though.....but it gets rid of everything. For the dirtiest of engines. Removes caked oil......acidic. I would use this on my m54....but its never been dirty enough to warrant the big dog

Auto parts store.......foamy engine bright......does well use it for years. Not for the dirtiest but definitely for the dirty. Removes caked oil.....let it soak in

And then there's the way I do it normally. When I was in the car wash business I learned a lot about the soaps. Basically the way it cleans your car.(and some of you might not like the idea of this)

It uses acid.....to eat a micron layer of clear coat off of your car. So small you could wash for 20 years and it wouldn't eat the clear off. When the clear gets eaten the dirt goes with it. You are removing the base that the dirt is held on. My dad ruined several paint jobs getting the acid part of his soap manufacturing line to work right. The stuff you buy or use has had the bugs worked out for years now. This was back in the 70s.

So now we get into the pre soak, tire cleaner, super wheel cleaner at the self serve car wash.

These soaps need to be washed off right away.......don't pre soak it and then drive somewhere with any of these on the car still. Make sure you have enough money to wash them off.

Because they have more acid than the regular soap....they are stronger soaps for this reason.....if left on they will eat into lexan windows......not a big deal just wash it off right after you apply it.

Now that you know the nature.......I use super wheel cleaner or pre soak on my engine. It is perfect for cleaning them. My engine bay is spotless. It works very well and you will love the results.

On another note.......stay away from the exhaust manifold. I haven't cracked my BMW manifold. But I did crack another car I had. The cold water cools it down too fast and the metal separates. Don't be afraid of it.....just don't douse it with water......if you wait for the car to cool down......and you can touch the manifold.....you are fine. Just be cautious. Ideally ......warm engine is better.....and I don't mean you just drove the car and shut it off warm......I mean let it cool for half an hour warm. When you can touch the exhaust manifold and not have a third degree burn then the manifold is for sure safe to wash . ......I am not liable if you burn yourself touching manifold....just don't be stupid

Then there is something 90% of the human population doesn't know. And I have tried this on many older cars.....but have not tried it on the BMW yet. I don't know the effects.....it works on glass but I have not tested it on the carlex style windows because the idea is new and I have not completely tested it yet. It was tested on my 79 trans am and my 86 omni GLH. I was amazed at the result....then we tried it on a Ken worth semi truck....and it worked there too.

So what is it........CLEANING YOUR WINDSHIELD WITH STEEL WOOL.

You would think it scratches it....but it doesn't. It makes it look new. It might even take the sandblasted effect out of an older windshield. I don't know.....when I heard it I didn't believe it. So I tried it and now experimenting.

If your not comfortable trying it......DONT. there are you tube videos on it and from what I can see.....it works. Will I try it on my e46 glass.? The windshield..... yes.....the side windows...with caution. It was taught to me by an old glass guy.

My friend had a car in his shop....his son wrote his name in the dust on the back window. My friend left it there.
When he washed the window his sons name was etched in the glass. No amount of polishing with mothers polish or washing took it out........I used...... with no water on his dusty window. Steel wool.....the window looked new.....the car was a 1986 honda. The reason I didn't use water was because I wanted to see if the steel wool would used the dust to make scratches......it cut through the dust dry and still polished the window. If someon wants pictures I'll post them.
Thank you sir for this. This is a lot of info and very helpful.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Great info. I've heard of polishing windshields with steel wool. It's on my todo list when I do my first detailing of the year when it warms up.