E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: which would you rather have as your DD?
135i 86 72.88%
frs/brz 32 27.12%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #141
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
annnnd youre still a ****ing tool. It's ok some people were born that way. You can go now.
You're crying over what someone on the internet thinks about a car which you happen to own. YOU would know tool

Build a bridge and get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #142
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Quote:
That's a whole nother can of worms. Only some N54s were affected by the HPFP issue, however BMW will replace any HPFP up to 120k miles. Mine hasn't been replaced and my car is still running strong at 57k miles. The N54 does offer more low end torque and the turbos spool much quicker, but the power tapers off around 6200k rpm( I don't find this to be a problem because I rarely take it to the redline) . The N55's power curve doesn't taper off around 6200 rpm like the N54s does, it has a much smoother curve, but it takes slightly longer for the boost to build. IMO they are both fantastic engines and you can't go wrong with either of them
I've had exactly the opposite experience with N54/N55

N54 has a tiny bit of lag as the turbos spool up but the power stays on longer. Throttle response on the N55 was more immediate but it seemed to run out of steam a few hundred RPM shy of redline.

You can mod the N54 up to higher power levels than the N55 with currently available mods but there are many that claim the power potential fo the N55 just hasn't been unlocked yet. The N55 does have a slightly more aggressive exhaust note, and with valvetronic it does get slightly better fuel economy.

In case anyone doesn't know the N54 uses a bi-turbo setup, whereas N55 uses a larger, single, twin scroll turbo. N55 is the carry-forward engine for all the 35i bimmers.

I love both engines but am pursuing an N54 powered vehicle for some mod goodness. If you plan to keep it stock, then N55 might be the better motor for you.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #143
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
135i, Captain Obvious.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #144
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
You're crying over what someone on the internet thinks about a car which you happen to own. YOU would know tool

Build a bridge and get over it.
because I get entertained when I troll people. I enjoy being an asshole. have a good day

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #145
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
^ and a 135i doesn't offer a good driving dynamic? Also the BRZ hasn't been out long enough to "hold its value" I can imagine within a a couple of years used ones will be selling for ~13k. It will become the next honda civic
Good yes great no
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #146
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
Good yes great no
Yes it leaves a little bit to be desired, but with upgraded suspension components that problem could be remedied

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #147
dreamdrivedrift

Quote:
Yes it leaves a little bit to be desired, but with upgraded suspension components that problem could be remedied
not without weight loss
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #148
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
not without weight loss
Ehhhhh I disagree. We'll agree to disagree though lol

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #149
dreamdrivedrift

Quote:
Ehhhhh I disagree. We'll agree to disagree though lol
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #150
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
just out of curiosity, does the N55 have the HPFP issue as well? also, how do the N55 and N54 compare in terms of power/torque delivery and reliability? does the N54 give you a better low end due to the dual turrbos?
My n55 didn't have any problems with the hpfp
Quote:
so is the manual or auto trannys that have issues? overall, how reliable are these cars compared with e46s?
I've had two buddies already replace their trannys in their 135i. I honestly had less problems with my e90 than my e46. From window regulators to power steering pumps, bushings, etc. None of which I experienced with my e90. The upside to a 135i with the n55 is that you get the DCT which is way quicker than the regular steptronic. The draw back though is that it can't handle as much tq.

Quote:
That's a whole nother can of worms. Only some N54s were affected by the HPFP issue, however BMW will replace any HPFP up to 120k miles. Mine hasn't been replaced and my car is still running strong at 57k miles. The N54 does offer more low end torque and the turbos spool much quicker, but the power tapers off around 6200k rpm( I don't find this to be a problem because I rarely take it to the redline) . The N55's power curve doesn't taper off around 6200 rpm like the N54s does, it has a much smoother curve, but it takes slightly longer for the boost to build. IMO they are both fantastic engines and you can't go wrong with either of them
I think you got those mixed up. The n55 has a lot more tq down low since it is a twin scroll. But that is also its greatest weakness. Twin scrolls don't perform as well up in the higher rpms so the n55 loses steam fast while the n54 can hold power a bit longer.
n55 dyno

n54 dyno
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola" [retired]
2013 5.0 "alessandra" [retired]
2014 5.0 "jessica" [retired]
2011 135i JB E82 "Latoya"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #151
Fergo

Could have, have no experience with the n55, and those dyno numbers are odd... N55 baseline 277hp 292tq and N54 347 and 381tq!!!

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #152
jose325i

My Ride: 08 BMW 135i
135i for sure. I gave one of my buddies a quick ride a couple weeks ago and he was amazed by the low-end power the n54 makes, and mine is stock! The turbos spool at very low rpm, around 1700 IIRC. It is nothing like other turbo cars where it revs to 3k without turbo spooling. Leave it in 6th and the passing power is serious, even on the stock tune. Spend ~$650 on dual cone intake and a jb4, and it becomes a completely different animal. Driving position is spot-on. Visibility is great. Suspension is a lot softer than my e46 because my car did not come with run-flats. Coilovers should make the car feel more tossable. Steering effort is lighter than my 2003 325i, and steering feel is less communicative. An underdrive power steering pump pulley should make it feel a lot better. IIRC, the 135i uses a LUK LF-30 pump, so maybe I can retrofit an e46 underdrive pulley on it sometime in the future.

As far as the styling, it really grows on you. The OEM trunk design has m3 csl cues, the LCI taillights are cheap ($240/pair) and plug&play. All 135i cars are equipped with m-sport bumpers, and blackline trim. It makes the car look very ZHP-like, especially in Crimson red. The more you look at it, the car more aggressive. At the price, a comparable Pre-LCI 335i has the regular sport package, with ugly bumpers, headlights (yuck), and taillights.

As for the size of the car, it is much smaller than an e90/e92. It is between the length of an e30 and e36 3-series, but it is taller.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #153
Fergo

^

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #154
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Neither is an N/A engine, wtf are you talking about
Percentage-wise, the turbo engine is going to lose a lot more. Reliability-wise, there is no comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMiller View Post
You will never see a BRZ with 400 WHP!!!! You obviously don't know anything about the N54 platform....with stock turbos (no turbo lag at all) guys are pushing over 400 WHP....FI is the way of the future as you can see with all the newer cars going for it over more cylinders...

If you want a BRZ, go buy a used Lancer Evo....also 400 AWHP with bolt ons and a tune...
I see someone already posted the 5xxwhp BRZ, so I won't bother. Ignorant opinion is ignorant.
Quote:
Hahaha look another person that thinks they know something about a 135i but has probably never driven one. There is no turbo lag. You feel the turbos at 3k rpm. Lol at you thinking the N54 is a garbage engine you know nothing go home
I haven't, that's fair. Haven't driven a BRZ, either. I do know what I've read about the N54 re: heat from the turbo(s), hpfp, plus my own personal experience with boosted cars. For a DD, it doesn't really matter. If you actually want to drive it hard....

And looks are subjective, I know, but the 1 series is FUGLY.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #155
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post

I haven't, that's fair. Haven't driven a BRZ, either. I do know what I've read about the N54 re: heat from the turbo(s), hpfp, plus my own personal experience with boosted cars. For a DD, it doesn't really matter. If you actually want to drive it hard....

The hpfp is a non issue, sure it might go,but it will be completely covered by bmw. Like I've said mine has been dead reliable,sure there are some horror stories, but that goes for every car. when I beat on my car it just takes it and feels pretty solid . I get it about the looks I was a little leery about the looks at first, but it really does grow on you lol

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Bimmer App

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #156
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
The N54 has almost no noticeable turbo lag at all from my experience. I can floor it in 6th gear at 60 mph and it still feels faster accelerating to 80 mph than doing the same in 4th gear in my old 330ci.
atinybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #157
blazedxjan

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
A: Go drive them both.

B: Get the 135i
Yes

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

89' 240sx Coupe - Sold ): 98' 328is - RIP 91' Turbo MR2 - Sold 01' 325ci - Current
I like my Christmas hat; wanna fight about it?
blazedxjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #158
golf_234

My Ride: E90
Quote:
btw, a lot of you guys mentioned the 135i's advantage in tuning potential, but keep in mind, this is going to be my DD and i really don't have plans to boosting the motor to 400hp. i'll probably upgrade/improve the suspension, but in terms of powertrain, i'll leave it more or less stock.
mine is stock now, briefly used the jb4, didn't like it too much. i really do think they almost perfected the car in its stock form. ya it was faster, but speed isnt everything and it isnt like the car is slow lol; it's absurdly fast. ANY of the transmissions for this car (Zf auto, 6mt, and dct) are seriously out of this world . just amazing. i have the zf auto and it truly is amazing. when i get the f30 i am going to get the 6 speed though.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 02-15-2013 at 02:50 AM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #159
golf_234

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Percentage-wise, the turbo engine is going to lose a lot more. Reliability-wise, there is no comparison.

I see someone already posted the 5xxwhp BRZ, so I won't bother. Ignorant opinion is ignorant.

refer to sig.. idk how you could think that. it is very close to an e46 in size , looks , everything. it is basically the new e46 imo.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #160
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
refer to sig.. idk how you could think that. it is very close to an e46 in size , looks , everything. it is basically the new e46 imo.
doesnt the 1 series use an identical chassis to the e46?

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote