E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Chard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 19
My Ride: e90 335i, 02 M3 vert
Has anyone used Fuchs oil for their rear diff?

I talked to my supplier and when they ran the part number for the rear diff oil, it returned 3 things:

OEM BMW
FUCHS SINTOPOID LS 75W-140
LIQUI MOLY 500ML

Has anyone ever used the Fuchs? It's considerably cheaper and is recommended as an approved Castrol SAF-XJ substitute. He assured me it has the FM booster as well.
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
drift.mechanic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 302
My Ride: E46 323i
In my opinion, never out anything but Liqui Moly and Motul in your diff, tranny and engine.

Those are 2 of the best brands money can buy with a track record that includes BMW, Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari. Good enough for me
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Chard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 19
My Ride: e90 335i, 02 M3 vert
I'm trying to get rid of the common grinding noise in the e46 m3 LSD. Most people who post here say to buy the OEM BMW fluid, which is made by Castrol, but I'm wondering if anyone has had successful results with these 2 other brands.
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
drift.mechanic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 302
My Ride: E46 323i
I have repeatedly used Liqui moly on many occasions and Motul as well.
I had the infamous noisy diff in reverse. I used the Motul Gear 300 75w90, never had any noise since.
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,407
My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift.mechanic View Post
I have repeatedly used Liqui moly on many occasions and Motul as well.
I had the infamous noisy diff in reverse. I used the Motul Gear 300 75w90, never had any noise since.
You do realize this is the M3 section, right?


Most, including me, are going to recommend to use the oem fluid. Diff fluid changes aren't done that often, why risk saving a little coin.
__________________

Last edited by choxor; 02-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
drift.mechanic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 302
My Ride: E46 323i
I can read, thanks.

Diff fluid changes aren't done that often, all the more reason to put in a superior quality oil.

There is one thing I have seen as a trend, M3 owners are way too attached to OEM parts, especially oil. BMW makes great stuff, agreed, but when it comes to oil, a company like Motul makes a range of products that surpass the OEM fluids by far.
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,407
My Ride: JDM
Neato. Then buy an M3 and run that stuff in your diff.

I'm going to stick with what's recommended.

We're "attached" to our oem parts because they're proven to work and most of us have the money to buy the correct stuff. If I wanted cheap maintenance I wouldn't be driving an M3.
__________________

Last edited by choxor; 02-12-2013 at 08:38 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Chard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 19
My Ride: e90 335i, 02 M3 vert
So I don't want to get into the debate of OEM vs. aftermarket...I just want to know if anyone has used Fuchs or Lubro Moly (both recommended/approved substitutes) successfully in the rear limited slip diff to get rid of the grinding in low speed, tight corners.

Thanks for the input!
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
drift.mechanic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 302
My Ride: E46 323i
I had an 03 M3, ran Motul everywhere and had no regrets, frankly it cured the noisy diff, hard shift to 2nd when cold and lowered valve train noise.

Still thought it was an overpriced toy for the end result. 22k for a car with that many inherent problems and temperaments, no thanks.

Motul 300V engine oil is used by 75% of DTM teams, 100% of CRC and DMCC teams for a reason. Expensive , yes, but out performs anything you out next to it.

You asked for an opinion of someone who has used different oils on M3's, you got it.
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Chard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 19
My Ride: e90 335i, 02 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift.mechanic View Post
I had an 03 M3, ran Motul everywhere and had no regrets, frankly it cured the noisy diff, hard shift to 2nd when cold and lowered valve train noise.

Still thought it was an overpriced toy for the end result. 22k for a car with that many inherent problems and temperaments, no thanks.

Motul 300V engine oil is used by 75% of DTM teams, 100% of CRC and DMCC teams for a reason. Expensive , yes, but out performs anything you out next to it.

You asked for an opinion of someone who has used different oils on M3's, you got it.
Cool, which Motul did you use for the rear diff?
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,407
My Ride: JDM
Diff noise can be caused by incorrect amount of friction modifier in the fluid. Originally, if you complained about diff noise they would add the FM booster to it. The new fluid comes with it premixed to the correct proportion, which is why most people are going to recommend using it. Never heard of anyone using Fuchs or Moly in their diffs. Maybe someone will chime in. I've have heard of people running royal purple max with good results and red line with mixed results.

Since they're cheaper you may want to look at those first to see if they get rid of your noise and move to OEM fluid if they don't. Just make sure to do some slow figure 8's in a parking lot after you change the fluid.
__________________

Last edited by choxor; 02-12-2013 at 09:01 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Chard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 19
My Ride: e90 335i, 02 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Diff noise can be caused by incorrect amount of friction modifier in the fluid. Originally, if you complained about diff noise they would add the FM booster to it. The new fluid comes with it premixed to the correct proportion, which is why most people are going to recommend using it. Never heard of anyone using Fuchs or Moly in their diffs. Maybe someone will chime in. I've have heard of people running royal purple max with good results and red line with mixed results.

Since they're cheaper you may want to look at those first to see if they get rid of your noise and move to OEM fluid if they don't. Just make sure to do some slow figure 8's in a parking lot after you change the fluid.
Right on. I think I'll probably stick with OEM unless more people can speak up. But we'll see.

What's the capacity? I think the OEM stuff comes in 0.5 liters, yah?
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,407
My Ride: JDM
Yup. Capacity is 1.2 L
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
drift.mechanic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 302
My Ride: E46 323i
In Liqui Moly, Vollsynthetisches Hypoid-Getriebeöl (GL5)LS SAE 75 W-140, with a 125ml friction modifier for lsd's.

Or in Motul, 75w140 Gear Competition with the 125ml friction modifier for lsd's.

I you're wondering what the friction modifier is, it's a 125ml bottle for use with viscous and clutch type lsd's. oddly enough, it's the best on the market and made by AC Delco for GM's HD truck line (I can't tell you how many race teams use this stuff and buy it by the box).
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
McGary911
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 129
My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift.mechanic View Post

I you're wondering what the friction modifier is, it's a 125ml bottle for use with viscous and clutch type lsd's. oddly enough, it's the best on the market and made by AC Delco for GM's HD truck line (I can't tell you how many race teams use this stuff and buy it by the box).
Funny. About 15 years back when I used to track my 911, many would use A type of Ford brake fluid. Apparently, on one of their trucks, they routed the brake lines too close to the exhaust, and it got too hot. Rather than reroute the lines, they started to use some special fluid that had a sick high boiling point. They sold it at the same price as regular truck fluid. Tons of guys used it.
McGary911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use