E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
why does no big oil companys sell oil online?
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
In Europe, diesel fuel is also cheaper than gasoline

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Hitting the pedal and sooting people with their window open from my bro's F350 is fun...

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
BIZ323

My Ride: Miyagi
Send a message via AIM to BIZ323
More efficient vehicles means less income from fuel taxes.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
Hitting the pedal and sooting people with their window open from my bro's F350 is fun...
Merica.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
floydlloyd85

My Ride: 2002 318 Ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
In Europe, diesel fuel is also cheaper than gasoline
Wrong. Diesel is much more expensive in ireland and the rest of the uk. Not sure about the mainland but fuel costs in spain and germany are waaaay more expensive than the usa
floydlloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOFLESS View Post
The real issue is emissions. Diesels dont burn as clean as gas engines. The Grand Cherokee used to be available with a 3.0L diesel, but California axed it from its emissions laws and Chrysler decided to scrap the platform altogether.
There is a solution to the emissions issue with diesels and it's particulate filters combined with urea injection. The problem is that the technology is still pretty new and expensive - as always costs will go down when the acceptance and demand grows.

Despite the initial high cost, diesels are getting more popular in the US. I've seen a huge increase in the number of Golf/A3 TDIs on the road, a lot of X5 diesels, and a lot of ML/GL diesels. As fuel costs rise the demand for diesels is only going to go up, and the automakers are starting to get ready by increasing the number of diesel models available.

Chrysler is bringing a 50 state legal V6 diesel for the 2014 Grand Cherokee. Add that to a variety of diesels offered by Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche, and BMW and you have a growing base of diesel SUVs and passenger cars from which to choose. Ford is even offering a diesel Transit Connect for the first time in the US market, and there is rumor of a diesel coming for the Focus/Fiesta.

Diesels are hands down a better value and more environmentally friendly than hybrids, let's hope that more models make it to our shores.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
There is a solution to the emissions issue with diesels and it's particulate filters combined with urea injection. The problem is that the technology is still pretty new and expensive - as always costs will go down when the acceptance and demand grows.

Despite the initial high cost, diesels are getting more popular in the US. I've seen a huge increase in the number of Golf/A3 TDIs on the road, a lot of X5 diesels, and a lot of ML/GL diesels. As fuel costs rise the demand for diesels is only going to go up, and the automakers are starting to get ready by increasing the number of diesel models available.

Chrysler is bringing a 50 state legal V6 diesel for the 2014 Grand Cherokee. Add that to a variety of diesels offered by Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche, and BMW and you have a growing base of diesel SUVs and passenger cars from which to choose. Ford is even offering a diesel Transit Connect for the first time in the US market, and there is rumor of a diesel coming for the Focus/Fiesta.

Diesels are hands down a better value and more environmentally friendly than hybrids, let's hope that more models make it to our shores.
You will see more and more of them get blocked to push the "green" agenda.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #29
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You will see more and more of them get blocked to push the "green" agenda.
And that would be irony at it's finest.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #30
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
It costs more because people are willing to pay more for them.
The people that want one are willing to pay the premium.

Diesels get more mpg and salesmen pitch them as a better value so they cost more. Salesmen suggest that the additional expense for the diesel will be made up in better mileage and they often say that diesel engines last longer.

But they fail to mention that a gas engine will last as long as a diesel with proper maintenance and diesel costs 35 cents more per gallon. And many gas cars get mileage as good or better than many diesels.

But people will pay the premium for the diesel to be different, for the same reason they pay 4k extra for a hybrid or 7k extra for an electric car like a Volt.
This man's got it here. I'm about to buy a diesel G wagon (the only one successfully registered in CA, at that) and I'll be paying almost 30k for a vehicle with well north of 100,000 miles. But that's because I, and many others, have a financially unjustifiable passion for diesels, and are willing to suck up the premiums for more mechanically simple and efficient options.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #31
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
This man's got it here. I'm about to buy a diesel G wagon (the only one successfully registered in CA, at that) and I'll be paying almost 30k for a vehicle with well north of 100,000 miles. But that's because I, and many others, have a financially unjustifiable passion for diesels, and are willing to suck up the premiums for more mechanically simple and efficient options.
How did you find a diesel Gwag? They never imported them to the US to the best of my knowledge....is it a private import? Those things are indestructable....literally. 100K is nothing.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
why are diesels more expensive?

Because people will pay more for them.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydlloyd85 View Post
Wrong....Not sure about the mainland but fuel costs in spain and germany are waaaay more expensive than the usa
Reading comprehension...I am not comparing price of fuel between countries BUT price of fuel within a country. Diesel is cheaper than gasoline

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #34
k2pilot

Quote:
How did you find a diesel Gwag? They never imported them to the US to the best of my knowledge....is it a private import? Those things are indestructable....literally. 100K is nothing.
Oh but a select few made it in. Also the older 460-461 chassis are getting over 25 years old, so they're really making a move on the states, and there's not much difference between them and the 463 really. The 463 (what we think of as a g wagon) has the full time awd and the three locking diffs, only major difference. Also all the modern interiors are directly transplantable, which is what I'll be doing as soon as I grab mine. But other than that, you can buy most any old 460, do a complete restoration, shove a nice shiny om606 motor in there, use the om603 mechanical fuel pump and you've got yourself a bomb proof getup.

The one I'm grabbing was one of 10 or so that legally made it in, however it has the older om603 diesel motor, about 5 had the newer 606, but it's easy enough to toss a new 606 with a holset hx35 turbo in place in the 603 I'll have, then mate it up to a 6 speed manual. Should result in a car with a snazzy interior, bomb proof motor, about 26mpg at 75mph, great offroadability, and almost 300hp!

here she is,
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/down...6102&mode=view

By the time I'm done restoring it, it should look like this,

LUVW G-Wagon, 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, Exercise "SPARTAN BEAR" Convoy to CFB Petawawa by Barry Griffiths CAD, on Flickr
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
Diesel is great.... For pulling trailers and sh!t
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Oh but a select few made it in. Also the older 460-461 chassis are getting over 25 years old, so they're really making a move on the states, and there's not much difference between them and the 463 really. The 463 (what we think of as a g wagon) has the full time awd and the three locking diffs, only major difference. Also all the modern interiors are directly transplantable, which is what I'll be doing as soon as I grab mine. But other than that, you can buy most any old 460, do a complete restoration, shove a nice shiny om606 motor in there, use the om603 mechanical fuel pump and you've got yourself a bomb proof getup.

The one I'm grabbing was one of 10 or so that legally made it in, however it has the older om603 diesel motor, about 5 had the newer 606, but it's easy enough to toss a new 606 with a holset hx35 turbo in place in the 603 I'll have, then mate it up to a 6 speed manual. Should result in a car with a snazzy interior, bomb proof motor, about 26mpg at 75mph, great offroadability, and almost 300hp!

here she is,
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/down...6102&mode=view

By the time I'm done restoring it, it should look like this,

LUVW G-Wagon, 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, Exercise "SPARTAN BEAR" Convoy to CFB Petawawa by Barry Griffiths CAD, on Flickr
Most awesome. Personally, I wouldn't want a modern interior in there (if by modern, you mean the current Gwag). I would want to use that thing for what it's built for, and the last thing I want to do is scratch leather, polished wood, etc etc. I would bedline the interior, throw down the carpets, wrap the seats in your choice of fabric, install a marine grade audio system, navi, and call it a day. It would look pretty ridiculous looking like that on the outside, and looking like this on the inside

Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
NFRs2000nyc

Oh, and if thats the look you are going for, may I suggest you have the outside line-x'ed and not painted that color? It will literally never have issues with scratches, rust, etc etc.

For comparo purposes....

Paint....

Bedlined...

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-14-2013 at 07:53 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #38
k2pilot

Quote:
Oh, and if thats the look you are going for, may I suggest you have the outside line-x'ed and not painted that color? It will literally never have issues with scratches, rust, etc etc.
This is precisely my plan. I'm tired of having a nervous breakdown over the possibility of getting my car keyed or any sort of damage to the paint. this G is the solution to that problem.

As absurd as it may seem, I do indeed plan on having that contrast. I'm a very clean person, so other than some rubber mats and a rugged footwell area, that car is getting the full treatment. Suede headliner, walnut brown seats, the works. It'll be my DD, after all, don't want to spend a bunch of time in a ragged spartan interior!

This is what I'm going to try and grab for the interior,

But apparently the newest gauge cluster is pretty finacky about sensor inputs and wiring, I just can't help but love the fact that Mercedes is using real metal switches and accents now though.

You should look in to doing an 460/461 build, you can bring one over with a truck bed and have it all restored for probably less than 30/35k.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #39
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
This is precisely my plan. I'm tired of having a nervous breakdown over the possibility of getting my car keyed or any sort of damage to the paint. this G is the solution to that problem.

As absurd as it may seem, I do indeed plan on having that contrast. I'm a very clean person, so other than some rubber mats and a rugged footwell area, that car is getting the full treatment. Suede headliner, walnut brown seats, the works. It'll be my DD, after all, don't want to spend a bunch of time in a ragged spartan interior!

This is what I'm going to try and grab for the interior,

But apparently the newest gauge cluster is pretty finacky about sensor inputs and wiring, I just can't help but love the fact that Mercedes is using real metal switches and accents now though.

You should look in to doing an 460/461 build, you can bring one over with a truck bed and have it all restored for probably less than 30/35k.
Fair enough. IMHO, that would be an awesome cruiser, but definitely be prepared to get flack from the offroading crowd. They are going to go after you telling you to make sure you don't spill your non-fat latte onto your fine leather seating surfaces.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #40
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^This. Add on the urea injection system and refilling the tank every so often and it becomes more expensive quickly
Pretty much horse piss lol, the DEF is crazy if it drips on the ground. Crystallizes and leaves a white mess all over the place.

I like the 335d and the X5 diesel. Both are beasts and the torque is fun. Wish we would bring more European models/options over though...

///M

Last edited by Redline; 02-14-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360895877
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote