E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Chard

My Ride: e90 335i, 02 M3 vert
Removing Glove Box Lock Cylinder

I didn't find much info on how to do this when I searched, so I thought I'd put something up in case anyone looks for this later.

Like everyone else on here, my glove box handle stopped working. I thought it might be the 2 screws issue, but that didn't solve the problem so I just decided to order a new inner and outer handle since the finish on mine was thrashed anyway.

When you get the new outer handle, it doesn't come with a new lock cylinder; you're meant to reuse your own. Removing the lock cylinder took a little bit of figuring out, but it's a fairly easy job.

1. Working from the back of the outer glove box handle, use a flathead to pry off the cam (white cap on the original, black on the new one)

2. You'll see the back of the lock cylinder now. It is held in by 4 plastic snaps (circled in red). Since you're sure your old handle is broken anyway, you'll have to sort of destroy 2 of these plastic nubs to get the cylinder out. I just used needle nose pliers to deform them.

3. Once 2 tabs are broken off, use your thumb and push on the back of the cylinder...the remaining 2 tabs should give way enough to let the cylinder snap out of it and through the hole to the front.

4. I heard you might want to leave your key in while you're removing the cylinder. Leave it out while you're breaking away the tabs to prevent breaking your key.

5. Slide the lock cylinder into the new handle. The new handle already has the plastic cam and the cylinder can only go in in 1 direction. Use your old cam as a guide if you can't figure this out. Once you get the cylinder to slide in, push it just a bit harder so that it snaps into the 4 tabs and doesn't slide back out.

6. Enjoy the new handle.

7. Actually one more step...you have to connect the ground wiring from the inner handle. It doesn't seem like it fits at first...just slightly bend back the tabs a little and it'll snap in. Make sure you get the orientation correct...this is what the cam hits when you rotate your key.

Hopefully this is useful for someone.

Last edited by Chard; 02-12-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Good Job....
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
+1

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Thanks. You're right. This was a needed DIY.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
silber92

My Ride: 330CiC
Excellent write up!

Mahalo Bruddah!
silber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
petemo94

My Ride: 2004 325CiC
great tip[. I hope to use this once I GET my glove box opened.

Any ideas on how to open a locked/broken glove box? I've read and tried everything listed, but nothing has worked. Don't want to drill it out but its looking like the most likely scenario.

Frustrating.

PeteMo94
2004 325Cic, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Owned since 12/1/12
///M3 Floor Mats - Power under my feet!

petemo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Chard

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemo94 View Post

Any ideas on how to open a locked/broken glove box? I've read and tried everything listed, but nothing has worked. Don't want to drill it out but its looking like the most likely scenario.

Frustrating.
The way I did it was pull down the glove box enough to expose the 2 screws when you look through. If you can unscrew those, it'll drop down the upper portion of the interior of the glove box. This made it easier to get access to the inner glove box handle. The two tabs in the picture retract when you lift the outre box handle. If you can get them to retract (use a flathead to push them) you should be able to get the door open.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
petemo94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard View Post
The way I did it was pull down the glove box enough to expose the 2 screws when you look through. If you can unscrew those, it'll drop down the upper portion of the interior of the glove box. This made it easier to get access to the inner glove box handle. The two tabs in the picture retract when you lift the outre box handle. If you can get them to retract (use a flathead to push them) you should be able to get the door open.

This is great! This gives me some hope and maybe I can put my drill bits away for a while till I try this. Appreciate the help

PeteMo94

Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Chard

sure thing, hope it helps you out.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
94vtirozguy

My Ride: 330 ci convertible
i have just tried reassembling mine however the latch is not working properly.. maybe there is somethign wrong with my internal latch (the one with the white connector)
94vtirozguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Chard

do you see the two release tabs retracting on the inner handle when you lift the outer handle?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
94vtirozguy

My Ride: 330 ci convertible
no, thats the problem.

Last edited by 94vtirozguy; 02-13-2013 at 11:18 PM.
94vtirozguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemo94 View Post

Frustrating.
Petemo94, try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I got mine open by using a small screwdriver to push up on the metal latch that you can see when you pull the latch handle. There are many posts on this site about the convertible glovebox. BMW put extra security in the convertible so that you can store valuables in the glovebox or trunk with the top down.

The glovebox latch contains a microswitch that locks out the trunk, along with a worm drive postioner that can (and will) prevent the glovebox from being opened when the car is locked.

I'm only partially down the trail to fixing the glovebox. I can open it with a key on a regular basis, and it occasionally drops open when I use the key remote to unlock the car. Kinda like my wife, I haven't got her figured out, but she's livable, and I enjoy the challenge.

See my reply to "Glovebox won't open" in the general e46 thread for a pic of the latch and the metal latch pin that I pushed to open the lock.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
petemo94

Appreciate the tip. Will give it a try this weekend. Fingers crossed.

PeteMo94

Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
wildirish317

It's fairly easy. The hard part is standing on your head to see what you are doing.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
petemo94

Finally took the time to open glove box. You were correct. Plan was to undo 2 screws behind door. Then 4 screws under box while on your back and looking up. Once I got that loosened there was one more screw. Then a little tugging on the glove box and it came off.

Looked like the glove box mechanism is shot. Absolutely no movement to open it. So I'll be ordering a new system and swap the lock

Thx for the help in this!

PeteMo94

Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
MIE46

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert
Thanks been planning on doing this.
MIE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
petemo94

well just went thru and did it all. Removed the lock mechanism, inserted lock mechanism back into the new lock. All is good now, just need to install it. Will probably do that tomorrow (time is limited). But the instructions at the top, to remove the glove box lock cylinder is right-on!

PeteMo94

Old 04-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #19
RelaxIN

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Hate to pull up an older post, but I have to ask just to be sure.... What is the part number for the inner/outer latch... and are you picking them up off of ebay or a website...? I have an 2001 330 vert and this just started happening. I can open the box with the key when turning hard left, but that's it. I removed & tried everything as list above to no avail. in fact, there was a little brass clip that popped out of the inner latch... not sure where that is suppose to go.. but I want to order a whole assy and swap out the lock cylinder so I have full functionality of the box... Thanks for your help... Rick
RelaxIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Ordered mine from the dealer - one of the few things I've bought from them. Don't recall the part #, but they could tell you. It's not that expensive.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 04-17-2014 at 10:59 AM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote