E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT

NY / NJ / CT
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
NY NJ CT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
ard5040

My Ride: 03 M3
M3 Sighting in Newark NJ Area

I know that this is a long shot but figured that if anyone would understand, readers on this forum would. My steel gray, mint condition 03 M3 was stolen in Newark NJ yesterday at 12:03 PM. Before anyone asks, security cameras have video of a black Porsche Cayenne driving by it , backing up, and the passenger in and driving off in about 30 seconds. Anyway, I'm hoping that it's not on it's way overseas but driving around the Essex, Hudson, maybe Passaic area. It's steel gray with dove interior. There is a small crack in the diffuser to the right of the right exhaust pipe. IT HAD NY plate FHD 6217. If anyone happens to see it, please call the local cops. Newark pd has the report and hopefully the interest to check it out.
ard5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I'll keep my eyes open...

Sorry to hear it, OP. What were you thinking, if you don't mind my asking, of having your M3 in Newark on the streets?

Anyway, I'm on the job...crack on diffuser. Any other distinguishing marks?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Within 30 seconds, they managed to break in AND drive off ?!?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
ard5040

I work in Newark and usually park in a gated private lot but the ramp to it was damaged in the recent frigid weather. The college had shut down the lot for a couple of days to make repairs so I parked on the street. Should have rented a Toyota for three days. Hind sight. And yes, 30 seconds on the security camera clock.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
steve bettencourt

My Ride: 2003 m3
I am installing a lot of after market stuff to personalise , to hear that they could steel your car in thirty seconds with a factory alarm is crazy , in the future
I want to go to some of the bimmer cruse and over night , I am definitely having a after market alarm system installed, sorry to hear hope you find it in one piece

Last edited by steve bettencourt; 02-15-2013 at 05:58 AM.
steve bettencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
dusty132

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I will keep my eyes open. I brought my e46 to class in Newark as well. I hope they find the car.
dusty132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bettencourt View Post
I am installing a lot of after market stuff to personalise , to hear that they could steel your car in thirty seconds with a factory alarm is crazy , in the future
I want to go to some of the bimmer cruse and over night , I am definitely having a after market alarm system installed, sorry to hear hope you find it in one piece
An aftermarket alarm wont stop a thief determined to steal your car. Imo, most times, the thief will steal the car regardless of the alarm.

Op,
Very sorry for your loss. I hope they find it.

Last edited by college46; 02-15-2013 at 07:49 AM.
college46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
jerseyzillest

My Ride: 325 CI
Damn man I live right next door too, :/ ill definitely be on the look out!! But that thing is probably in an inclosed lot somewhere by now. But 30 seconds to steal a BMW o.O that's crazy!

^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
That's just terrible. I live in Essex County so I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

Funny, just yesterday afternoon I answered a Craig's List ad, and got a great deal on a clean, steel grey 2003 M3.
Really smooth transaction. Called the guy up and an hour later we met in East Orange. Guy drove up in the M3 followed by his friend in a black Cayenne.
Nice guys. Great price.

It had a broken lock and a little curbage on the right rear wheels, and a crack on the bottom of the rear bumper. So because of that and the dove interior a few other problems, and the fact that the guy was moving to Oklahoma for a new job, I was able to negotiate him down to $4,000. A little hard to believe that I called the guy at 12:30 yesterday and by quarter to two I had a new-to-me M3, but you've got to jump on a deal like that.

The owner said he had to go to his mother's house in Coney Island this morning to get the title, but I'm going to him meet this afternoon by this really great hot dog stand in Newark.

I'll post pics of my new baby later today, and of course, I'll be on the look out for your car, OP.

Last edited by avincent52; 02-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
E36bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
I thought you can only start these with the key because of the chip inside of it or something? or is that a myth?

04 ZHP alpine white
20% tint
K&N
Shadow trim, Blackout grills, 18" Black Staggered ASA AR1, LED's everywhere, Black euro plate
E36bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
That's just terrible. I live in Essex County so I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

Funny, just yesterday afternoon I answered a Craig's List ad, and got a great deal on a clean, steel grey 2003 M3.
Really smooth transaction. Called the guy up and an hour later we met in East Orange. Guy drove up in the M3 followed by his friend in a black Cayenne.
Nice guys. Great price.

It had a broken lock and a little curbage on the right rear wheels, and a crack on the bottom of the rear bumper. So because of that and the dove interior a few other problems, and the fact that the guy was moving to Oklahoma for a new job, I was able to negotiate him down to $4,000. A little hard to believe that I called the guy at 12:30 yesterday and by quarter to two I had a new-to-me M3, but you've got to jump on a deal like that.

The owner said he had to go to his mother's house in Coney Island this morning to get the title, but I'm going to him meet this afternoon by this really great hot dog stand in Newark.

I'll post pics of my new baby later today, and of course, I'll be on the look out for your car, OP.
Sounds like you bought OPs stolen car ... and are out $4000 ... what thaaaa ...

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
jerseyzillest

My Ride: 325 CI
Quote:

Nice guys. Great price.

Trolling at its finest.

^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBee View Post
Sounds like you bought OPs stolen car ... and are out $4000 ... what thaaaa ...
That's ridiculous. The guy I bought it from--Dave, he said his name was--told me that he was the original owner, and that he had changed the oil every 3,000 miles with BMW synthetic, and that the only reason he was selling it was that his company was transferring him to Oklahoma City next Monday and his boss told him couldn't take his car there. And that it was his little sister who broke the door lock when she locked the keys in the car but was to afraid to tell him.

His friend in the black Cayenne--his name was Dave too--vouched for him on all of this.

And Dave gave me a receipt for the $4,000, and left me his house keys until he brings me the title today.

It's all on the up and up.

But when I hear the OPs story, it makes me think that living in New Jersey and all, I ought to get an alarm right away, even before I replace the cooling system. Just can't be too careful.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
TOMMY G

My Ride: 2011 BMW 335 6MT
So can you explain how the car was stolen? I think I read everything but that car (95+newer) has EWS and can not be stolen without a key.
Keys can not be bought without proper ID which is sent to BMW N/A

I was at a dealer for 12 yrs and never had one legitimately stolen after investigating
TOMMY G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
uptownni99a

My Ride: is a BMW M3
they vinned your car before n came back with a made key with a chip, hopped in and started it n left... they guy selling the car for 4000 i gaurentee you the vin wont match the cars engine i gaurentee they changed the windshield vin with another m3 title or something n just got you for 4.000 no body sells an m3 for 4,000 unless its stolen... period good luck n next time dont park an m3 where it cant be seen by you n think of investing in a wheel lock n a fuel line cut off...
uptownni99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
LTD36

My Ride: 05 325i and 91 MR2T
Wow, that's really unfortuante. I'm sorry to hear that. I'll have my buddies in that area keep an eye out for it for you. Good luck and I hope you get it back asap!
LTD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
ard5040

Tommy G thanks for the info. I contacted BMW of NA . Their office does in fact keep track of all duplicate keys that are made. They were able to tell me that a key was made by a central Jersey dealership this past Monday. I'm hoping that they have security cameras. The Newark PD doesn't seem that interested.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
ard5040

Spoke to soon, it was NOT my car's key that was duplicated, off by one digit on the VIN. The supervisor who called from BMW NA did tell me that it was not impossible to start the car without a key but that after driving approx 20 miles that the system would recognize that the car had been started "illegally" and would shut down the motor.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
morraz3

My Ride: 2005 Zhp Sedan
Quote:

Nice guys. Great price.

Is this guy serious? or is he just making fun of the op?
morraz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
metal massager

My Ride: frankenbi///Mmer
So sorry those dbmf'ers got your car.

Man, 30 seconds is just mindblowing.....

On the plus,....your next one will be better